Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1879458)   #76
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Dont they seal them and inspect them?
Unfortunately not.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1879463)   #77
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well come and compete with me in the CTCRC because we do and yet I have just read the Historic calender in Motorsport and Top Hats and God knows what else is mentioned but us, oh no (just why is that?) and yet our championships are probably as honest if not more so than any of them and bloody good racing as well.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1879468)   #78
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Unfortunately not.
I would say we are now going to other hidden things which where actually not meant here . But the capacity of reving higher by using modern materials like steel rod, cranks cams, valves, modern oil made it all more expensive. And then with those made to measure cranks and rods, stroking is not far away actually.
But all those mods made classic racers more reliable alltogether, didnt it?
Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:44 (Ref:1879471)   #79
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Some of the "Leading" Healeys are alleged to have stroked engines
Now this could get interesting. I had many a conversation with our eligibility scrutineer (AHC Championship race series) and nothing was ever done. The organisers knew cheating was happening and did nothing, anti-tramp bars were a common 'cheat'.
As for big engines, I can say here and now that I would have been happy to have mine opened and inspected by anyone. However, I reckon there are one or two that wouldn't be too happy. What say you....?
Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:45 (Ref:1879472)   #80
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Do you know that there are actually racecars which are so developed on Dunlop racings that they go slower when they use Avons..........The soft , bumpy Dunlop racings make an important part in the suspesion set up together with mega developed shockers and suspension geometrics
Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1879478)   #81
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
I would say we are now going to other hidden things which where actually not meant here . But the capacity of reving higher by using modern materials like steel rod, cranks cams, valves, modern oil made it all more expensive. And then with those made to measure cranks and rods, stroking is not far away actually.
But all those mods made classic racers more reliable alltogether, didnt it?
Hi Esper,

No argument there. My engine was capable of sustained 7500rpm running i.e. Spa six hours, no problem. Do or die, I'd use 8000rpm. But I know my engine wasn't stroked or over-bored, it was just a well built engine using the best bits available built by the best, the Welch's.
I know that there were/are oversize engines out there.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1879479)   #82
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Do you know that there are actually racecars which are so developed on Dunlop racings that they go slower when they use Avons..........The soft , bumpy Dunlop racings make an important part in the suspesion set up together with mega developed shockers and suspension geometrics
Are you talking about ZZ's? If so, yes, I'd agree. I could shred a ZZ in a ten lap ten race in the dry, Jeremy or Bruce would take about 6 laps.... That's one of the reasons we stuck to Dunlops; as well as the Dunlop being a period tyre and looking right.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1879990)   #83
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As has often been said,the Histos should become mandatory for "our" racing ,they suit the types of suspension better.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1880067)   #84
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Are you talking about ZZ's? If so, yes, I'd agree. I could shred a ZZ in a ten lap ten race in the dry, Jeremy or Bruce would take about 6 laps.... That's one of the reasons we stuck to Dunlops; as well as the Dunlop being a period tyre and looking right.
No not ZZ cars, German car with real shockabsorbers not those hydraulic twin piston pumps we use..................
Old 31 Mar 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1880278)   #85
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Now this could get interesting. I had many a conversation with our eligibility scrutineer (AHC Championship race series) and nothing was ever done. The organisers knew cheating was happening and did nothing, anti-tramp bars were a common 'cheat'.
As for big engines, I can say here and now that I would have been happy to have mine opened and inspected by anyone. However, I reckon there are one or two that wouldn't be too happy. What say you....?

Dont forget that antitramp/raidious arms were used in period Slippy
Old 31 Mar 2007, 21:15 (Ref:1880697)   #86
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Dont forget that antitramp/raidious arms were used in period Slippy
but it was not in the documents
Old 1 Apr 2007, 05:51 (Ref:1880880)   #87
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
You sure Esper,I can check with Bill Price,he was in charge of all Homologation at the works
Old 1 Apr 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1881348)   #88
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
You sure Esper,I can check with Bill Price,he was in charge of all Homologation at the works
I can only rely on scrutineers..............who tell you whats not and whats "FIA" so everybody thinks its leafsprings and Panhard rod.
(There we go on Healeys again which is such a flat beaten track! lets talk about the cars nobody seems to know which are or can be very fast, lets talk Bizzarinis and Iso Rivoltas, Corvettes , and??????????????)
Old 1 Apr 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1881383)   #89
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
can you repost this one tommorrow (just in case)
Old 1 Apr 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1881448)   #90
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
I'm pretty sure. Tramp bars were definitely a no-no for Healey's if running under FIA.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1881450)   #91
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
No not ZZ cars, German car with real shockabsorbers not those hydraulic twin piston pumps we use..................
Avon ZZ tyres...
Old 1 Apr 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1881457)   #92
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
I'm pretty sure. Tramp bars were definitely a no-no for Healey's if running under FIA.
thats my game as well, but Slippy lets get to the lesser known cars which were fast and nobody complained (they didn't know and so they are (or where)) afraid to try to put some opposition. you know the British build cars are all to well known (one of the prolems to be anflophyle)
Old 1 Apr 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1881460)   #93
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Avon ZZ tyres...
Its just about something people are used to but don't offend me into judging which tyre is the best ................................but years of development into cars with dunlops Rs okay you might be right!!!!!!
So in one thing if it was only up to dunlop Rs no problems left!!!!! but don't tempt me!!
Old 1 Apr 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1881462)   #94
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
thats my game as well, but Slippy lets get to the lesser known cars which were fast and nobody complained (they didn't know and so they are (or where)) afraid to try to put some opposition. you know the British build cars are all to well known (one of the prolems to be anflophyle)
GT40's (most of these are as bent as a nine dollar note, in my opinion), Corvettes, Porsche 911s, indecently fast MGBs, the odd 'lightweight' E-Type, Bizzarini's etc etc etc etc.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1881472)   #95
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
GT40's (most of these are as bent as a nine dollar note, in my opinion), Corvettes, Porsche 911s, indecently fast MGBs, the odd 'lightweight' E-Type, Bizzarini's etc etc etc etc.
Slippy, I am morning man as you are so theres my problem ( 23.14h continental time)
but atack the details!!!!!!! I am going to sleep now so I am waiting for real fire in this thread tommorrow morning!!!!
Old 1 Apr 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1881479)   #96
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Slippy, I am morning man as you are so theres my problem ( 23.14h continental time)
but atack the details!!!!!!! I am going to sleep now so I am waiting for real fire in this thread tommorrow morning!!!!
The real fire eh? My problem is that I've been away from the historic scene for a little while, who's cheating these days, besides chemists, allegedly.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 21:56 (Ref:1881504)   #97
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
The real fire eh? My problem is that I've been away from the historic scene for a little while, who's cheating these days, besides chemists, allegedly.
Slippy its not about bending the rules or cheating and not even today its about how to use the rules to win ( to win what? the worldchampionship of your village?, theres no money involved anyway!) so its about cars which where there and are still there to be used to win the championship effectivly....
Old 1 Apr 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1881551)   #98
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Slippy its not about bending the rules or cheating and not even today its about how to use the rules to win ( to win what? the worldchampionship of your village?, theres no money involved anyway!) so its about cars which where there and are still there to be used to win the championship effectivly....
Sorry, getting carried away there!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 02:42 (Ref:1881663)   #99
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets look at it through that old motoring journalists cliche that as far as the racing of cars which were built to carry a number plate go,people want to see their car beat their neighbour's--within reason.Widening the wheels yes,flaring the guards and chopping things out of the way no.Different carburettors yes,EFI no.Original drivetrain yes.Stroked crank,custom gear ratios no.Slavishly keeping 4.5 inch rims and period looking tyres seems overly purist [not that theres anything wrong with that]

The point is that hotting up old cars does not stop at some point in history.
Let it evolve within understood guidelines,and as esper says there is no prizemoney so keep a sense of humour about "cheating" ,and peer pressure will isolate the true crazy cheat.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 03:06 (Ref:1881667)   #100
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny yuma
The point is that hotting up old cars does not stop at some point in history.
It does according to FIA Appendix K regs.