Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Aug 2017, 08:01 (Ref:3760881)   #1
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Hawthorn on TV

A bit off topic to mention motor racing here I know but the Nostalgia Forum has plenty of comments on the TV documentary on Mike Hawthorn that was shown on Sunday night. Made me wonder if anyone else on this Forum is old enough or interested enough to remember him?.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3760934)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I mentioned on the tea break thread that the prog was scheduled, but from the lack of replies guess no one watched it. Unfortunately I was travelling at the broadcast time, but as it is a recently produced documentary hopefully it will be shown again!

I wasn't very old during Mike Hawthorn's successful years, so don't remember much about his racing. I do remember the newspaper coverage of his death, though, and the subsequent debate regarding the cause of the accident.

OT, but I also remember the media coverage when Jim Clark died, and Mike Hailwood. All tragic losses.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3760947)   #3
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's to be repeated on September 23rd at 9:00am on 'Yesterday'; 'On The Limit' is the name of the programme. I was only 10 when Mike Hawthorn died but I remember hearing about his death on the radio and on TV even though I had only vaguely heard of him. For some reason it stuck in my mind, perhaps because it wasn't too far from where we lived at the time. 'Golden Boy' is well worth reading.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3760967)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Eric D knows Mike was my 'hero', his was Stirling, but we admired both of them. I still use memories of Mike as security on the computer, so I am pretty safe it seems.

The programme was not very interesting to those of us who lived through his era, but for tyros would shed some light on our first World Champion, and on the times he raced in, so different from todays Nancy Boys.

We spoke to Mike at Goodwood in 1955 after the Nine Hour Race, even at 1.0pm in the morning he was happy to chat to a couple of lads.

I was off work for three days after Mike died just too upset to get out of bed, we lost a lot of 'friends' in the fifties, and mourn them still, but it was Mike that hit the hardest.

Sadly, bauble.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3761222)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly missed this programme as I was watching NASCAR live-anyone know when it will be repeated? Yesterday channel usually old stuff-I remember Mikes last season-was before live TV from Europe-had to wait a few days for BBC 30min film of each round.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3761223)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Sadly missed this programme as I was watching NASCAR live-anyone know when it will be repeated? Yesterday channel usually old stuff-I remember Mikes last season-was before live TV from Europe-had to wait a few days for BBC 30min film of each round.
See post #3 above. I've put it in my diary and hope am around! 0900hrs seems odd time....

Edit- definitely 9 AM sept 23rd for repeat according to the schedule, but if you're prepared to download the 'UKTV Play' app onto a suitable device, you can watch it on catch up whenever it suits!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 23 Aug 2017 at 17:23.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3761249)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just watched the prog as above. Enjoyed the archive footage, and as baub says, a very different era.....
Old 23 Aug 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3761256)   #8
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I thought was unique to Mike Hawthorn was that he always wore a tie; more often a bow tie over a necktie. Respect for the sport, taking his task seriously. Now our champion is adorned with body piercings and tattoos, a different era, indeed!
Old 24 Aug 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3761319)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
What I thought was unique to Mike Hawthorn was that he always wore a tie; more often a bow tie over a necktie. Respect for the sport, taking his task seriously. Now our champion is adorned with body piercings and tattoos, a different era, indeed!
Anyone interested in learning more about Mike should read 'Challenge Me The Race' and 'Champion Year' both illuminating and amusing reqds.

Advertisment. I have a copy of Mike Hawthorn, Golden Boy I could be parted from.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3761385)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
It's worth noting that this is one of a series - the next one is about Graham Hill.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3761465)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
It's worth noting that this is one of a series - the next one is about Graham Hill.
9pm sunday
Old 25 Aug 2017, 08:06 (Ref:3761479)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I love the way it is showing the drivers that have been racing through the old days and the only thing I have to say is there are ones that have been shown on the telly before like the Graham Hill and the Jim Clark ones
Old 25 Aug 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3761483)   #13
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
It was certainly unique but Hawthorn's public persona was such a parody of the English gent at play that it appears absurd to modern eyes. Hamilton et al are equally representative of their time I think .
Old 25 Aug 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3761518)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just think that the people who were in the sport were representing the world of the time they were in
Old 25 Aug 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3761544)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yup, I've no problem with the way Mike Hawthorn dressed at race meetings, just as I have no problem with the way a modern F1 driver does...... The difference is that nowadays they can't actually race in torn jeans and tee shirt!
Old 26 Aug 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3761668)   #16
Paul Leek
Rookie

France
Faye la Vineuse
Paul Leek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Anyone interested in learning more about Mike should read 'Challenge Me The Race' and 'Champion Year' both illuminating and amusing reqds.

Advertisment. I have a copy of Mike Hawthorn, Golden Boy I could be parted from.
"Mon Ami Mate" by Cris Nixon which tells the stories of JMH and Peter Collins is also essential reading.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3761743)   #17
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Erich Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the documentary, very interesting to me particularly as I live in Farnham his old town where there are still plenty of reminders of him. Consequently I knew quite a bit about him but I didnt realise he was more or less to blame for the 1955 crash at Le Mans which caused many crowd fatalities! Came as quite a shock to me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Aug 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3761765)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Stahler View Post
I saw the documentary, very interesting to me particularly as I live in Farnham his old town where there are still plenty of reminders of him. Consequently I knew quite a bit about him but I didnt realise he was more or less to blame for the 1955 crash at Le Mans which caused many crowd fatalities! Came as quite a shock to me.

Some blamed Mike for the accident, some blamed Macklin, a few blamed Levegh, but as he died and he was French, little was said. However he was probably too old for such a fast car, and at the end of the day it was a combination of the narrow road, no separate pit road, and the huge speed differential of the cars.

To try and apportion blame was pointless ... it was a 'racing accident'. It certainly ruined Macklin's life, for it was his manoeuvre that launched the Mercedes into the barrier, regardless of why he had to move across.

The design of the Merc using I think magnesium alloy also contributed to the casualties.

Having witnessed the accident I have never wanted to return to Le Mans.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3761850)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That a very balanced view and I think the one most would support. Whatever the cause, the results were absolutely horrific, and a stark reminder of the dangers of motor racing in those days.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3761857)   #20
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Erich Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some blamed Mike for the accident, some blamed Macklin, a few blamed Levegh, but as he died and he was French, little was said. However he was probably too old for such a fast car, and at the end of the day it was a combination of the narrow road, no separate pit road, and the huge speed differential of the cars.

To try and apportion blame was pointless ... it was a 'racing accident'. It certainly ruined Macklin's life, for it was his manoeuvre that launched the Mercedes into the barrier, regardless of why he had to move across.

The design of the Merc using I think magnesium alloy also contributed to the casualties.

Having witnessed the accident I have never wanted to return to Le Mans.
Bauble,
Thanks for the clarification from an eye witness, must have been a terrible thing to see. Can understand your feeling about the plave since.

Old 27 Aug 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3761860)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed so. Much has been said about the accident and every 'general' film about Le Mans (such as the recent 'Tuesday Documentary') just has to include it, sadly. I have to say that I've stood on those tribunes many, many times over the last 32 years and my thoughts have often turned to the appalling carnage in 1955. Even going back a little less in history and Norbert Haug's Flying Circus, you just don't want to think about the outcome had that happened in a place where spectators were crowded. I too understand why you wouldn't want to go back....
Old 27 Aug 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3761883)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

I just want to say that the drivers who were in the accident were just minding their own business and they all met in the middle with each other

I just want to know why the great Stirling was not on the program
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3761898)   #23
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just want to know why the great Stirling was not on the program
He's spent several months in hospital this year so may not have been well enough.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3761904)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I watched it on UK TV web site on my laptop trackside. It is a very interesting documentary to people like me who of course knew of MH but weren't around at the time. I learned quite a bit about the man and events of the time. I thought it was an excellent portrait.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Aug 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3761986)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Some blamed Mike for the accident, some blamed Macklin, a few blamed Levegh, but as he died and he was French, little was said. However he was probably too old for such a fast car, and at the end of the day it was a combination of the narrow road, no separate pit road, and the huge speed differential of the cars.To try and apportion blame was pointless ... it was a 'racing accident'.Having witnessed the accident I have never wanted to return to Le Mans.
Ami Robert, I dont know if my late dad was at Le Mans this day but I remember from mom's words he did know Levegh. I'm quite convinced he wouldn't disagree with you and may be he could add some other words.
As Mike said, easy to understand you dont want to go back to this place since. On a different mode, my dad's first name is the same as yours, Ami Robert…