Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Mar 2016, 13:18 (Ref:3619533)   #1
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Erich Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Fire Extinguisher for Club Classic/Historic?

As far as I can see, please correct me if wrong, but for the above the 2016 MSA Blue Book only allows two kinds of foam, Zero 2000 and AFFF, no mention of gas, eg. Zero 360, which seems to be FIA but not MSA approved?

So looks like I will most likely get a Lifeline Fire Extinguisher 4 Litre Aluminium Mechanical 102-400-002.

Its a GRP car and will be wearing 3 layers of Nomex and underwear.

Any thoughts welcome.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 13:47 (Ref:3619540)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Think the 360 is approved, but there is some confusion when looking at different size bottles.

Personally I would make a very brief call to lifeline and ask.......
Old 3 Mar 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3619605)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
none of them do anything useful so just buy the cheapest you can get away with and learn how to get out quick!
Old 3 Mar 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3619621)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think Zero 2000 like anything else that's not Halon is pretty much useless, even more so in a GRP car, they just buy you a few extra seconds to get out. If your car is on fire try and park by a fire marshals post.
The last one I bought was a replacement steel 4lt Zero 2000 which came out at just over £100 and that included the new type mount, I did of course have all the pipes etc. already.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3619634)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
none of them do anything useful so just buy the cheapest you can get away with and learn how to get out quick!
I was going to add that, but thought someone else should have the opportunity. Thanks, Joe!

Old 3 Mar 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3619661)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to work for Fireater Systems (remember them?). Halon 1301 (BTM) and Halon 1211 (BCF) were infinitely better than any of the current onboard systems at protecting a driver from a fire. We used to do some very impressive demonstrations where a very small BTM extinguisher would put out a huge petrol fire. I haven't got the photos unfortunately but once the extinguisher was activated, there was a big tray of petrol, a gap of maybe 10 feet above it and then a flame with nothing to feed it.

...mind you, it was the Seventies. Now we've got to make do with washing up liquid.

I've just remembered an incident from that era. Tom Walkinshaw was driving the "Thursdays" F5000 March in about 1975. It had a BTM extinguisher system with a nozzle on the dashboard directed downwards. After a minor shunt, a marshal set off the extinguisher. The result was TW jumping out of the car in agony, clutching his Gentleman's Area which was covered with a massive patch of ice.

...still more effective than any of the eco-friendly ones though
Old 3 Mar 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3619682)   #7
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Stahler View Post
Its a GRP car and will be wearing 3 layers of Nomex and underwear.

Any thoughts welcome.
Well that's the first time I've heard of anyone dressing their car!
Old 3 Mar 2016, 22:11 (Ref:3619684)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
the new Zero 360 is gas so should be nearer Halon than foam in performance.
Pete, ring the MSA and find out it's UK approval status, it may be imminent?
Old 4 Mar 2016, 01:23 (Ref:3619734)   #9
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Well that's the first time I've heard of anyone dressing their car!
"Its a GRP car and I will be wearing 3 layers of Nomex and underwear"
Hope that clears things up for you! ;-)
Old 4 Mar 2016, 01:30 (Ref:3619738)   #10
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
the new Zero 360 is gas so should be nearer Halon than foam in performance.
Pete, ring the MSA and find out it's UK approval status, it may be imminent?
Hi David, yes think I will have to do so.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 06:16 (Ref:3619791)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Or......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
make a very brief call to Lifeline and ask.......
I would have though the manufacturers of the system, who are responsible for getting it homologated, would know?

Last edited by Mike Bell; 4 Mar 2016 at 06:22.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3619924)   #12
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
An update

Have made some phone calls and FIA approved inert gas systems should be acceptable to any race series that uses MSA technical safety regulations. Being the governing body of the MSA anything with FIA homologation is by default acceptable.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 17:19 (Ref:3619954)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Stahler View Post
Have made some phone calls and FIA approved inert gas systems should be acceptable to any race series that uses MSA technical safety regulations. Being the governing body of the MSA anything with FIA homologation is by default acceptable.
That all sounds logical. Thanks for taking the trouble to update us!

Old 4 Mar 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3619956)   #14
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a fireman by trade.....

AFFF is a waste of time if you don't A; have enough, and B; have a petroleum based fire.

Buy the Zero 2000
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Mar 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3620004)   #15
Bruce Chambers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Bruce Chambers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
As a fireman by trade.....

AFFF is a waste of time if you don't A; have enough, and B; have a petroleum based fire.

Buy the Zero 2000
Ther Zero 2000 is Lifeline's designation for their AFFF systems, the more effective gas based systems are the ones designated Zero 360 or Zero 0.