Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 May 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2468275)   #1
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW to quit the WTCC?

I think they will see out this year, but won't be back:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75577
Old 24 May 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2468282)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, I wonder what other categories they are talking about. Probably BTCC, I would think.

I still don't see them in DTM.
Old 24 May 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2468284)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they say they want to remain in Touring cars. The closest to WTCC would naturally be BTCC or another 2L category. I wonder though how much of a stretch it would be for them to enter something like the IRC
Old 24 May 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2468324)   #4
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sign of things to come?

http://www.btccpages.com/features/1/...s-really-good/

I think the last BMW to win at Donington was in ’93 and it was a Schnitzer BMW”, enthused Bartrum at the end of the Donington weekend. “We’ve just won with an ‘09 Schnitzer car powered by a Schnitzer engine, which I’m really pleased about from Charly [Lamm]’s point of view.”
Old 24 May 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2468334)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If there's no BTCC factory teams, what would be the point of a works BMW team?

Would surely make more sense to lend more support to customers, though that may take them out the Indie category.
Old 24 May 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2468335)   #6
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
they might goto BTCC, but I doubt it would be the same sort of set up. BTCC doesnt get massive coverage outside the UK, so it would be hard for BMW to justify more than, say a 3 entry team, particuarly when they already have 4 quick privateer cars, getting them exposure...which they dont pay for (and in fact make money out of it).

I suspect they would split their efforts with some sort of GT racing, eithe with the M3 GT2 or the GT4 machine.
Old 24 May 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2468336)   #7
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could drop the manufacturer bid and still run the individual teams in the indie category as RBM, ROAL and Schnitzer.

Or even they could part sponsor RBM to run in the BTCC
Old 24 May 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2468360)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
If the rumours of them leaving F1 are true as well there's going to be a lot of BMW motorsport budget going spare next year.

I don't see them throwing money at a full-on BTCC programme. With no factory competition they would be expected to win so would gain very little if they did but would be left with a lot of egg on their face if they didn't. More support of the likes of Airwaves and RAC maybe but not a proper works team.

There's a fledgling ALMS GT programme, I can see the likes of Schnitzer get sent over there.
Old 24 May 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2468364)   #9
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
They could drop the manufacturer bid and still run the individual teams in the indie category as RBM, ROAL and Schnitzer.

Or even they could part sponsor RBM to run in the BTCC
I can't see them paying RBM when Schnitzer is BMW motorsport.

The WTCC BMW teams have already proved they can't work together so I can't see them doing the same in the BTCC.
Old 24 May 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2468368)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There's a fledgling ALMS GT programme, I can see the likes of Schnitzer get sent over there.
The BMW M3 GTR is ACO legal so they can race in Europe. It would not surprise me to see them race in LMS, Le Mans and maybe Nurburgring 24 hours with a factory team or factory supported teams (RBM, ROAL, Schnitzer).

Because of the silhouette formula I don't see them join DTM.

And threaten to leave a series is always a good way to influence organizers.
Old 24 May 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2468384)   #11
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
And threaten to leave a series is always a good way to influence organizers.
Not when the other main Manufacturer (SEAT) does the same, surely?
Old 24 May 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2468484)   #12
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
Not when the other main Manufacturer (SEAT) does the same, surely?
I wouldn't have thought Chevrolet (GM) are too secure either, particularly with them staring down the barrel of bankruptcy.
Old 24 May 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2468512)   #13
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dr Theissen is probably talking about leaving the Wtcc as a manufacturer and enter 3 independent cars, well, semi-works. I imagine one per team (1 for Schnitzer, 1 for ROAL, 1 for RBM).
But what sense would it make? You leave the championship and make your customers fight for the indies title: what happens then is that the audiences see SEAT, Chevy or even Lada winning(!), and they see the BMWs losing because they have no works support. The big crowds probably don't understand the difference between works and privateer drivers, why should they if BMW withdraw?
I hope BMW stay. Even now, without works Alfas in the field, it's hard to believe that such a historic brand is out of the races: if BMW quit, and Chevy do, as it seems, Wtcc is dead and we can kiss goodbye our beloved championship. Guys, let's be honest, most of us are in love with this sport and this championship, and when you're in love you tend to forget the bad stuff and concentrate on the good things that happen. I'm sure we would, if they fix this thing up.
I fully share Theissen's views on the situation: none of SEAT's fault, it's the FIA that is handling this thing in the worst possible way. I believe SEAT are not blaming BMW either, at least I hope so: lots of people are investin huge amounts of money and human resources to keep this championship alive, and defending their interest is their right, definitely. Both SEAT and BMW
Old 24 May 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2468514)   #14
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
If there's no BTCC factory teams, what would be the point of a works BMW team?

Would surely make more sense to lend more support to customers, though that may take them out the Indie category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
they might goto BTCC, but I doubt it would be the same sort of set up. BTCC doesnt get massive coverage outside the UK, so it would be hard for BMW to justify more than, say a 3 entry team, particuarly when they already have 4 quick privateer cars, getting them exposure...which they dont pay for (and in fact make money out of it).

I suspect they would split their efforts with some sort of GT racing, eithe with the M3 GT2 or the GT4 machine.
Both absolutely spot on IMO.
Old 25 May 2009, 00:28 (Ref:2468525)   #15
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
Both absolutely spot on IMO.
Don't have to be much of a prophet to be spot-on with those thoughts.

The BMW boss said in that story that they wouldn't necessarily have works efforts in any touring car championship but would lend support to their customer teams that are already in them.
Old 25 May 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2468527)   #16
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
The GT4 machine can't possibly get a similar level of exposure as the WTCC gets them. Actually, almost nothing can - LMS basically doesn't exist in the media, except for Le Mans. FIA GT maybe, but I don't know if the M3 GT2 can run under FIA rules, they might see things differently from the ACO.
I really don't know where they'd go...the new GT world championship might be a possibility with a big maybe.
Old 25 May 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2468620)   #17
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If BMW puts a lot of effort in for instance the Fia GT-series, that will increase the series exposure, while at the same time the WTCC will suffer if BMW stops giving it attention. The GT-series may overtake the WTCC in importance and mediaattention.
Old 25 May 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2468632)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Maybe DTM is so desperate to get BMW (or a 3rd manufacturer in general) on board they switch to production based racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
The GT4 machine can't possibly get a similar level of exposure as the WTCC gets them. Actually, almost nothing can - LMS basically doesn't exist in the media, except for Le Mans. FIA GT maybe, but I don't know if the M3 GT2 can run under FIA rules, they might see things differently from the ACO.
I really don't know where they'd go...the new GT world championship might be a possibility with a big maybe.
I think FIA GT is more liberal as ACO (see the Maserati). And if BMW (or another big manufacturer) wants to join I don't think Mr Ratel will say no. Only problem is manufacturer teams are not allowed, but they can solve that problem by entering under the Schnitzer banner.
Old 25 May 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2468703)   #19
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Don't have to be much of a prophet to be spot-on with those thoughts.

The BMW boss said in that story that they wouldn't necessarily have works efforts in any touring car championship but would lend support to their customer teams that are already in them.
I don't think Dr.Theissen was talking about giving support to RAC and Airwaves.
Sorry, still can't think of a Wtcc without BMW, SEAT and Chevy. We already had to go through Alfa Romeo withdrawing (which made no sense, as no FIAT are running the Abarth in the Italian rallies with a works project and it has much less following and still big costs). Let's just hope for the best...
Old 25 May 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2468735)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, BMW leaving would be very bad for the series.

Losing Alfa was bad, but BMW going would be very bad.
Old 25 May 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2468751)   #21
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Yes, BMW leaving would be very bad for the series.

Losing Alfa was bad, but BMW going would be very bad.
A disaster, I would say...
Old 25 May 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2468761)   #22
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think Dr.Theissen was talking about giving support to RAC and Airwaves.
Well that's what he said: "We are looking at other touring car categories," he said. "If we do come to a decision where a works commitment doesn't make sense in any given series, then it could be for a period of time that we may only lend support to our customers, as opposed to competing ourselves."

Regardless of if its the BTCC, STCC or wherever he clearly said they may look at supporting their customers (which in the BTCC would be RAC & Airwaves) rather than competing as a factory team. Excellent news for those teams if it happens.
Old 25 May 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2468793)   #23
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Well that's what he said: "We are looking at other touring car categories," he said. "If we do come to a decision where a works commitment doesn't make sense in any given series, then it could be for a period of time that we may only lend support to our customers, as opposed to competing ourselves."

Regardless of if its the BTCC, STCC or wherever he clearly said they may look at supporting their customers (which in the BTCC would be RAC & Airwaves) rather than competing as a factory team. Excellent news for those teams if it happens.
At least they're not considering a complete withdrawal from touring cars. The 3 series must race somewhere in touring cars, that's a universal constant.
Old 25 May 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2468842)   #24
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
If BMW puts a lot of effort in for instance the Fia GT-series, that will increase the series exposure, while at the same time the WTCC will suffer if BMW stops giving it attention. The GT-series may overtake the WTCC in importance and mediaattention.
Sprint races are much easier to televise and probably that's why WTCC races are so short. Remember, there must be time for tennis and football on the Sunday afternoon.
Old 25 May 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2468859)   #25
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dr Theissen is probably talking about leaving the Wtcc as a manufacturer and enter 3 independent cars, well, semi-works. I imagine one per team (1 for Schnitzer, 1 for ROAL, 1 for RBM).
There's no reason to continue with ROAL and RBM when Schnitzer is BMW Motorsport, and the one car per team thing would probably be the least effective and most expensive way of doing it. Maybe dropping RBM and ROAL and having Schnitzer run Muller, Farfus and Priaulx would be their best option, but then SEAT would have too many more cars so an advantage, unless they dropped ORECA.