Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Aug 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2531710)   #76
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
Because Vauxhall is a works project, while RML runs the Lacettis as an independent.
Still doesn't make sense. It's now a works project for a different car company.

More chance of Menu being drafted in at RML.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2531726)   #77
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Shock, horror! - Vauxhall have won the 2009 BTCC Manufacturers/Constructors Championship (Beating Team Dynamics and Arena Motorsport).
No they haven't.

Every engine change they do now will mean they have points subtracted, so it's mathematically possible for them still not to win.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2531735)   #78
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
No they haven't.

Every engine change they do now will mean they have points subtracted, so it's mathematically possible for them still not to win.
You're very much a sceptic.

Well, that's why awards are given after the season I guess - but it's not usual to expect penalty points will detract from a confirmed lead.

And then, in all reality - there's no way they're going to have THAT many engine failures to actually fall behind Team Dynamics & Arena - they may as well withdraw Neal & Jordan's cars first.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 10:27 (Ref:2531755)   #79
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Enjoyed yesterday, good day out - think race 2 would be "my pick" of the three BTCC races. Have to say, still find it strange [compared to other events] to hear people really cheering and shouting for crashes and "just punt him out the way" etc....but that's the way it is. Was surprised to drive straight in and straight out of the circuit with no issues, thought there'd be some traffic, but definitely a good thing!
Old 31 Aug 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2531773)   #80
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
Because Vauxhall is a works project, while RML runs the Lacettis as an independent.
There's no chance of Chevrolet loaning one of it's drivers to Vauxhall in order to assist them in beating some other Chevrolets, works or not.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2531836)   #81
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The touring cars were as entertaining as ever. I thought the support package was poor though. The only race to provide excitement was the Clio's and I guess the Ginetta Juniors too (even though they only had an entry of 17 cars).

Overall, I enjoyed it though. We sat in Luffield stand just by the exit kerb.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2531885)   #82
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just watching race2 .. first impression .. what an idiot Collard is ..

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Aug 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2531920)   #83
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
just watching race2 .. first impression .. what an idiot Collard is ..
and then he does that in race3 .. why can't he always race like that ...
jelley finally helped the Turk .. got him 1 extra point for the weekend i think .

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Aug 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2531943)   #84
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Will Reid return at Rockingham, you have to say at the moment he's not required or did a great job. Tom O Cole would be better placed in the car assuming he has not signed to drive for Arena at the next round.

Neal and Jordan deserve to be replaced based on their last few results, there not even close to Giovanardi's race pace.
Replaced with who? Gio is world class and driving well above the real pace of the car as Tim Harvey alluded to in commentary.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2531971)   #85
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Will Reid return at Rockingham, you have to say at the moment he's not required or did a great job. Tom O Cole would be better placed in the car assuming he has not signed to drive for Arena at the next round.

Neal and Jordan deserve to be replaced based on their last few results, there not even close to Giovanardi's race pace.
Tom Onslow-Cole is actually still in contract to Vauxhall I believe. They're probably happy to let him have a go in the Ford Focus - but don't think they're going to let him (re)-join Team RAC to try and unsettle their own championship challenge.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2531975)   #86
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Tom Onslow-Cole is actually still in contract to Vauxhall I believe.
I find that difficult to believe - he was never a proper paid works driver so why would he be under contract.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2531981)   #87
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can only think maybe he does some work with their road cars on promotional days - I think Paul O'Neill does too but I doubt that'd stop him from racing for whoever.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2532021)   #88
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
jelley finally helped the Turk .. got him 1 extra point for the weekend i think .
Two points. Don't forget that extra point, could be crucial at the season's end
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2532026)   #89
Dommy
Rookie

Dommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody got a link to the third race? Havn't seen it yet and it's not on itv player yet either.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2533793)   #90
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Still doesn't make sense. It's now a works project for a different car company.

More chance of Menu being drafted in at RML.
If one of the Wtcc drivers joins the Btcc for an event it is because RML asked them, not Chevrolet. As far as Chevrolet is concerned they have no works cars in the Btcc, so it doesn't make sense that they pay for a driver to jump into a car and do a job they don't officially support.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2534402)   #91
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Chevy could make Plato champion by supporting RML in the Btcc for the last rounds of the championship, that would not be a bad deal for them I guess. It would offcource destroy every chance for Plato to be independantchampion, but if Turkington wins the overall championship he looks very strong for the independanttitle as well. In a nutshell, Chevy has to decide between these 2 chances:

chance of winning the driverstitle: low
chance of winning the independantstitle: medium
costs: none

or

chance of winning the drivers title: medium
chance of winning the independantstitle: none
costs: hard to say, but higher than zero.

As a bonus Chevy will get some extra mediaattention if a wtcc-star drives for them in the btcc.

Mind you: the fan who watches may or may not know wheater Chevy supports RML, anyway they see Chevy's driving on the track, and, hopefully for Chevy UK, winning.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2535394)   #92
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comments by Steve Neal in Autosport now wishing to team up Matt Neal with Johnny Herbert. Take the connection of Matt being his son out of the equation and Matt is by far not the best driver on the grid this year and been disapointing in the second half.

Dynamics for me go about there racing in a strange way,Signing Thompson and Steve Neal admitting finally he needed a catogery "A" driver was the first signs of a revival, Thompson delivers great results and gains much media by this.

We now have Pinkney who could be forgotten at times he is even in a Dynamics car and Herbert still on a massive learning curve.

Why is that Steve Neal wants Matt back when I would have thought he would be touting for Thompson again who is far superior and enjoyed being part of the team.

The fact that Steve Neal has now said he would like Herbert and Neal to partner why has he issolated Pinkney who has financially been a great help and may wish to continue. As much as I like Dynamics there way of thinking and decisions leave me at a loss at how they survive.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2535457)   #93
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps Thompson will be too busy next year to do the BTCC. I get the feeling he did the races this year as a favour, to help gain sponsorship and develop the car, rather than as a long term option. Although I don't agree with much of Steve Neal's words or actions, I do have to say he is an expert at generating publicity.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 05:52 (Ref:2535626)   #94
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't Steve Neal good at upsetting people (or at least appearing to). Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Sometimes I am suprised that anyone wants to drive for him but I suppose it is just PR
Old 7 Sep 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2535830)   #95
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matt is still a good driver, its just the Vectra this year hasn't been the class of the field. I think Gio is driving it beyond its level.

Why that is, is debatable. Lack of funding from Vauxhall? Bigger improvements from the BMW teams? Or just the addition of 2/3 quick Chevrolets pushing the Vauxhalls further down the grid (3rd or 4th on the grid becomes 6th/7th)?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2535853)   #96
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neal may not be the best man in the field this year, he still is a competent driver. Add to that a little synergy because of the good (family)ties in the team, and he might not be a bad man to sign. Especially when contractnegotiations will be easier with him compared to for instance Thompson.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2536021)   #97
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's more to consistent results than pure ability behind the wheel.
Matt has got years of experience, and his best achievements have always been in a Dynamics car.

'91 Group N champion (Dynamics), '93 '95 '99 '00 '05 '06 Independents title (Dynamics), '05 '06 Drivers' title (Dynamics). Compare this with one Group N championship in a non-Dynamics drive.

19 years in BTCC with 7 of these being non-Dynamics drives, yet the only real success has come behind the wheel of a Dynamics prepared car.