Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:31 (Ref:3605033)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
NEW BELGIUM 'HGV TRANSIT TOLL'

From April 1st, all HGVs with a max gross weight ABOVE 3.5 tonnes using Belgian highways will be expected to pay a new toll. It will be based on GVW and Emissions class, and be charged per Kilometre. It replaces the old system that was payable by the day and paid on line before a trip or near/ at the borders.

So for us that means trips to Spa, Zolder, Nurburgring and Zandvoort and any others that require passing through Belgium will require the new toll payment. OK, so far not much different to most other Euro countries, but....

The system is for Belgium only and not compatible with any system used by other countries. The only way of accounting for the toll will be by a screen mounted GPS tracker, or OBU to be technical. This is vehicle specific, and has to be hard wired into the electrical system or plugged into a power socket.

Each vehicle has to registered with the Belgian authorities, a deposit paid for the OBU, and a registration fee paid. I'm not sure if it will be possible to deal directly with the said authorities, but guess most people will use a UK agent, who will of course charge a management fee. The company I use has quoted 8% of tax charged.

If a vehicle is caught travelling on affected Belgian roads without being registered and having working OBU, it will incur an on the spot fine and be impounded until registration achieved....

Nice start to the season!
Old 15 Jan 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3605051)   #2
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Good to know that the EU is working well to harmonise regs across all EU countries...........
Old 15 Jan 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3605060)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Good to know that the EU is working well to harmonise regs across all EU countries...........
I suppose I/we should be thankful that France, Spain and Portugal have compatible technology, so only need one OBU for them 3 countries! At least in Italy and some others there are tollbooths that can be used with cash or card, but this Belgium system won't have any alternative for 'casual users', which seems bizarre to me.....
Old 15 Jan 2016, 19:18 (Ref:3605164)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's 3.5t GVW not train weight? Van and trailer OK I presume
Old 15 Jan 2016, 20:22 (Ref:3605182)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's 3.5t GVW not train weight? Van and trailer OK I presume
The terminology in a letter in front of me is- 'any goods vehicle whose maximum permissible weight is above 3.5 tonnes'.

Sorry, it's easy when your rig is a 4 axle 38 tonner- you know there's no argument!
Old 15 Jan 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3605190)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Done a bit more digging, and found this-

'When the pulling vehicle has a GVW of more than 3.5 tonnes, the Gross Combination Weight Rating needs to be declared'.

Suggests to me that a van with less than 3.5 tonnes GVW and towing a trailer is OK.....

Also found that a company called Satellic are providing the OBUs, and it us possible to deal direct with them. It will also be possible to 'purchase' a unit at 'one of 128 distribution points all over Belgium', provided you have all the necessary vehicle paperwork. (V5, Certificate of Conformity, Plating & engine Euro class certificates.) Plus of course provide a guaranteed method of payment....
Old 16 Jan 2016, 01:36 (Ref:3605252)   #7
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this just for commercial vehicles? What about private HGVs ie not for hire or reward etc?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 16 Jan 2016, 06:20 (Ref:3605273)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Is this just for commercial vehicles? What about private HGVs ie not for hire or reward etc?
IMHO No difference Moose when paying tolls anywhere in Europe. It's a combination of (some of) weight, axles, length and emissions that always seem to be used for calculations?
Old 17 Jan 2016, 00:36 (Ref:3605494)   #9
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, so not really user friendly to non regular travellers.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Jan 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3605592)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I take it that all the Polish registered vehicles will comply !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Jan 2016, 09:16 (Ref:3605593)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm . . .camper van is 2800, plated to 4250 max . . . think I'll travel light and keep quiet!
Old 17 Jan 2016, 12:27 (Ref:3605634)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I take it that all the Polish registered vehicles will comply !
That is the crux if the matter, Gordon! There's a lot of E European transport uses the route through Belgium to reach channel ports.

The Belgians appear on the surface to have adopted a low cost (to them) system- saving on toll booths with associated road works, gantries and other paraphernalia required, so are they going to spend money on policing the scheme?

Joe, I would like to think that a camper with trailer would not attract attention, as long as it is a camper and not a truck with windows! Come to think of it, I've got windows and living accommodation.....
Old 17 Jan 2016, 23:36 (Ref:3605766)   #13
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's my understanding that none of this stuff applies to campers - at least, not in the UK.

When I had a converted 7.5 ton Leyland DAF that was registered as a a camper, I was of the opinion that rules that usually apply to a 7.5 ton truck didn't apply to mine, as it was a camper. As an example, it only needed a class 4 (same as car) MOT, and there was no requirement to use a tacho.

I should add the caveat that I never tested these opinions legally, as I never got a pull using it - this is just how I interpreted what I read about such things on various websites. I should also add that I haven't got a clue about the rules for other countries.

I think the main thing is that it must be registered (on the V5) as a camper - if it's still registered as HGV, then it's no use pointing out the bed and microwave in the back and claiming it's a camper - that won't cut any ice with official types!
Old 18 Jan 2016, 07:09 (Ref:3605816)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
It's my understanding that none of this stuff applies to campers -
Here is the link to the Belgium company Satellic website, so anyone interested or concerned they may be affected can read all the info. Most useful is to click on 'All about the toll' at the top.

They do emphasise that the toll is only for vehicles carrying goods, and not camper vans.

I think Paul, if an HGV has been converted, it's open to interpretation. I would be concerned that a 7.5 tonner with 2 cars in the back as well as a microwave and fridge would pass as a camper- in fact I guess a 38 tonner with specific living section would be easier to argue!

It's a bit like fitting side windows into vans. Doing so doesn't alter the tax class- if it is still configured to carry goods it's still an LGV. If you put seats in it, then the class is open to doubt......

Going back to the new toll, the more I look at Satellic's portal the more I reckon I will deal direct with them, and not through an agent. For a start the OBU deposit is €135 with them but £135 in UK! And if the payments can be linked direct to a credit card then seems easy.....

We'll see.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 08:01 (Ref:3605823)   #15
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the main thing is that it must be registered (on the V5) as a camper - if it's still registered as HGV, then it's no use pointing out the bed and microwave in the back and claiming it's a camper - that won't cut any ice with official types!
In order to re-register a vehicle as a camper (or "Motor Caravan"), it needs to have a door, giving access to the living accomodation, a permanent bed (which can be fold away) of at least 6', cooking facilities permanently fitted to the vehicle, a water storage tank, a seating and dining area with a table which isn't free standing, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe and at least one side window. Guess what my winter project is?

How long before the ferry companies start using DVLA information to find out how a vehicle has actually been registered?
Old 18 Jan 2016, 09:04 (Ref:3605840)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
In order to re-register a vehicle as a camper (or "Motor Caravan"), it needs to have a door, giving access to the living accomodation, a permanent bed (which can be fold away) of at least 6', cooking facilities permanently fitted to the vehicle, a water storage tank, a seating and dining area with a table which isn't free standing, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe and at least one side window. Guess what my winter project is?

How long before the ferry companies start using DVLA information to find out how a vehicle has actually been registered?
I remember trying to re register a van that I converted years ago, and to be honest the "powers that be" that you had to talk to at the time didn't have a clue and kept moving me from pillar to post, in the end I never bothered and just used it for years afterwards !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jan 2016, 09:29 (Ref:3605846)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Our current Laika camper is a proper job so complies with all the above, it is on an Iveco chassis. As Gordon has done, our last Transit based camper was converted by me, and whilst it complied with the windows, tanks, doors, bed requirements weas never registered as anything other than a van.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 12:21 (Ref:3605910)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Was there not once (or maybe still is) a proviso regarding what proportion of the vehicle was living and what carrying space? My truck's a camper on the above criteria!

Ferry companies are not consistent in their approach to whether a van is freight or tourist. On one crossing, friends van and trailer in 2014 had to argue their case (having booked as tourist) for some considerable time at check in, then in 2015 it wasn't even queried. Maybe it is not a big enough problem for them to spent a lot of time on.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3605922)   #19
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We once managed to convince Eurotunnel that my old Isuzu Trooper was freight as I had a coolbox of 'perishables' ie sarnies on board and I had written out a CMR note (Euro delivery note) for it. We were en route to rescue a sick driver and passenger services were delayed so I think common sense prevailed. We had a carriage all to ourselves!
Old 18 Jan 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3605924)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I took my (ex MGDavid) camper, registered as a motor home, for Mot test the station tested it as a van with living accommodation. I found numerous references to this on the web, even a small garage area in what is clearly a motor home counts as "a van with living".

It caused me hassle as my electric passenger door has no outside switch and so broke the RTA. Solved by removing the passenger seat so it was a single seater.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3605963)   #21
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
To complete the chaotic picture of the 'authorities' it's worth saying that I never had that problem with it at MOT time during my 10 years of ownership!
Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3606137)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
There used to be (when I worked for whats left of it) a 'Bedford gathering' every summer . . . There was one guy with a lovely TK tractor unit, restored with modern engine and transmission, pulling a flat bed trailer . . . . which from the outside was loaded high and covered in old green tarpaulins . . . once on the campsite, they pulled them off . .underneath was a luxury motorhome in a kind of container with windows, doors the lot . . . apparently the whole rig was capable of cruising at 75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Was there not once (or maybe still is) a proviso regarding what proportion of the vehicle was living and what carrying space? My truck's a camper on the above criteria!
Old 19 Jan 2016, 12:27 (Ref:3606172)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The sounds cool- especially the 75mph bit!

It's rare but not that rare to see full size 5th wheel motorhomes (caravans?) nowadays- one of the 'static' hire fleets must have them, as have seen them lined up at a race meeting somewhere in Europe.....

Back to Belgium toll, looks like I will be trying the 'cut out the middle man' route to getting an OBU. First step, to see if can get registration done online without any mishaps.....
Old 19 Jan 2016, 13:00 (Ref:3606181)   #24
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Back to Belgium toll, looks like I will be trying the 'cut out the middle man' route to getting an OBU. First step, to see if can get registration done online without any mishaps.....
Yet again, MB venturing where no man has been before! Will he return safely? Tune in to our next episode to find out!
Old 19 Jan 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3606213)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yet again, MB venturing where no man has been before! Will he return safely? Tune in to our next episode to find out!
Not sure whether or are appropriate!

As you asked, all done on line- €135 euro refundable deposit for the OBU and with free delivery. Device linked to a credit card for toll (post) payment, and they have taken €45 Euros as a guarantee.

All very simple and considerably cheaper than going through UK agent.....