Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Feb 2016, 19:39 (Ref:3618462)   #51
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and a second batch:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0550.jpg   IMG_0597.jpg   IMG_0532.jpg  

IMG_0322.jpg   IMG_0851.jpg   IMG_0759.jpg  

Old 28 Feb 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3618468)   #52
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it was definitely quite than previous few years, both in terms of spectators and exhibits. The stand I normally call home is normally in the third hall, near the speakers platform, but the speakers area had moved into hall 1, where there was usually a bigger exhibit.

I bought some salamis. Bought some last year so was pleased to see him back

I think it needs a bit of a rethink for 2017.

The Impreza on the rally stage was fun to watch

Last edited by andrewc; 28 Feb 2016 at 20:20.
Old 28 Feb 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3618471)   #53
straff99
Rookie

straff99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loved the action on the live stage as sum crews were giving it there all and putting on a fantastic show. Really hope someone got on video who ever was at the wheel of the 555 Impreza overtake on Mick Strafford in the Firenza Can AM as that was so close to a monster accident and had everyone watching close their eyes.

It was Dai Llewellyn. I have no problem with that at all!
Old 28 Feb 2016, 20:24 (Ref:3618473)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the pics and video, guys! I'm guessing the little Micra was a static exhibit, looking at the earlier rally car entry list?

Seems I was in the minority by not buying and salami or cheese. Made do with some bargains from the outer darkness instead.

Realised the link for auction results I posted was just for the competition cars. Classic car sale here, so you can find the expensive 190 Brian commented on- https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...pe/automobiles
Old 28 Feb 2016, 20:32 (Ref:3618474)   #55
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went along on Saturday, a bit disappointed that in some halls the trade stands had increased in number and less cars on display however it's still an interesting show and the rally stage had some enthusiastic driving! Here's a link to my pictures.

Link: www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=520369
Old 28 Feb 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3618480)   #56
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks for the pics and video, guys! I'm guessing the little Micra was a static exhibit, looking at the earlier rally car entry list?
It ran :
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0159.jpg  
Old 28 Feb 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3618486)   #57
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by straff99 View Post

It was Dai Llewellyn. I have no problem with that at all!
Hi there Straff, it was great driving from both of you just sods law i put my cam down to to check the footie scores so missed getting it!

Hey Brands, if its the Micra Maxi you on about, yea it did run but blew the engine on its first run on saturday morning, great looking piece of kit tho.
Old 28 Feb 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3618491)   #58
brands
Veteran

Looks like I may have mixed my Micras
Old 29 Feb 2016, 06:24 (Ref:3618568)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Looks like I may have mixed my Micras
Yes, the 'Maxi' was part of the 'Junior live rally display', which sounds a bit confusing. Always loved those little wide bodied screamers!

But thanks, for looking, brands!
Old 29 Feb 2016, 09:56 (Ref:3618595)   #60
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously unimpressed, looked like less stalls than ever and what on earth are they doing having stalls selling cheeses etc? supposed to be a Car show for goodness sake.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3618648)   #61
Rob Williams
Rookie

England
Birmingham
Rob Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Seriously unimpressed, looked like less stalls than ever and what on earth are they doing having stalls selling cheeses etc? supposed to be a Car show for goodness sake.
but the pie stand was nice
Old 29 Feb 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3618650)   #62
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've no doubt they have lists of stands that take spaces cheap just to make the show look full.

Glad I stayed at home then. Good day at Solent and a useful race at Dunks.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3618653)   #63
Rob Williams
Rookie

England
Birmingham
Rob Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we CSCC, had a visit on Sunday afternoon by the new operator of Race Retro, Clarion Events which also run the NEC Classic Motor Show in November.
Race Retro will be at Stoneleigh in 2017.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 13:12 (Ref:3618663)   #64
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
we CSCC, had a visit on Sunday afternoon by the new operator of Race Retro, Clarion Events which also run the NEC Classic Motor Show in November.
Race Retro will be at Stoneleigh in 2017.
Yep he went right along all the clubs confirming that because a rumour had spread about them merging race retro with the restoration show that they do at nec which he stated it would not be likely and it wouldn't happen next year as stoneleigh was already booked. I thought it was good of them to quash any fears but I wonder how much truth is in Daniels words that he gave regarding making the show better, time will tell I'm sure
Old 29 Feb 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3618665)   #65
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chef

[QUOTE=Rob Williams;3618648]but the pie stand was nice

There are many that I have said I ate them all
Old 29 Feb 2016, 13:52 (Ref:3618677)   #66
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:

There are many that I have said I ate them all
Not all- I had (a modest) one!

I suppose what was slightly odd about the food stands was that they were mixed in with the normal motorsport stuff ones. Would be better, IMO, to have them together so that punters could see everything on offer....
Old 29 Feb 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3618710)   #67
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I don't think they even bother to try and encourage youngsters.....
apart from free entry for children on the Sunday.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3618714)   #68
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post
Afraid I was disappointed too. Nothing like as good as previous years - all a bit flat. Great to see so many old friends but otherwise frankly I would not bother.

Did anyone see anyattendees under 50? A few on the stands but it does not bode well for the future
I went and I'm under 50!
Old 29 Feb 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3618743)   #69
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive been every year and this year was the worst. It's gone down hill since Live Events took it on. They seem only interested in fleecing folk. Yes, each year there are fewer club stands due to the cost, LE don't realise that the public come to see the displays and to talk to organisers and traders etc. If you make the stands too costly then clubs and traders will stay away, the internet is a much cheaper way to sell your wares!
In the pre LE era, NESCRO of which I an treasurer, had stands but under LE it became far to costly to justify. Even HERO have cut back a lot. I hope the new organisers take a different approach. Better and more displays will mean more punters.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 18:22 (Ref:3618790)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
apart from free entry for children on the Sunday.
Missed that! Wonder if it worked?
Old 29 Feb 2016, 18:46 (Ref:3618797)   #71
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You may not have qualified Mike.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3618814)   #72
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
You may not have qualified Mike.
Especially if it stipulates having to be accompanied by a parent...
Old 29 Feb 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3618820)   #73
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went to RaceRetro to really observe what was happening, following its steady decline over the years.

It was really very obvious just how the number of stands had diminished and been spread about, and on questioning, several openly stated that they will not be returning.

I, for one, certainly will not be going again, unless there is a major expansion in numbers for next year. I firmly believe that this type of event should be every two years, thus making dealers and visitors alike, more "hungry" for business. The organisers are not getting this event right at all, and need to get their thinking hats on double quick, in order to save it.

It ought to be the premier event, considering the huge growth and interest in nostalgia and historic motor sport.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 21:59 (Ref:3618864)   #74
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is such a shame when people who take over running events like the NEC, Silverstone Classic and the like do so to only fleece people, a lot of these people get it wrong and events are lost, and for some they will go regardless as seems to be the case with the Classic these days.

Race Retro used to be an awesome event, it got me interested in historic racing and lots of other things besides, and WAS well put on and very well backed. This year I checked the website a few weeks before and NO effort had been amde, it was exactly the same as the year before and confirmed my intention to not go, especially as one of the themes was exactly the same as the overpriced garbage they roll out at the NEC ripoff

Is it simply that these new people are charging more for stands or is it simply a lack of interest from the people displaying? As there used to be literally hundreds of stands there. From collectors to painters, loads of cheap bookstalls, blokes selling car tatt not remote controlled heli bloody copters and food!

Lets face it if it wasnt for the rally stage this show would have been dead a long time ago.

And it really, really annoys me when a tried and tested formula for a show and a live event is squeezed for profit.

Then it is us and the people with small stuff to sell that suffer as we lose a place to meet and they lose an outlet to sell to a captive audience. I used to buy no end of stuff here and havent for years as it was all either overpriced tatt or rubbish, there used to be all sorts there.

Makes me sick to the stomach if it is greed that is doing this.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 22:02 (Ref:3618866)   #75
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Trying to add the 'lifestyle' element no doubt!!