Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2003, 10:27 (Ref:544008)   #1
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strategies for the race

I think Renault are in better shape than people are giving them credit for right now. Part of the "gain" they get through the power deficit in their engine is that it can harbour great fuel economy ...and we all know how great their TC works out of the hairpins.

I expect Alonso and Trulli to be on a two stopper with a short first stint, perhaps putting them back into the race behind the top 5 - TGF, DC, RB, KR & JPM. I expect Heidfeld to stop relatively early too.

Remember last year Renault ran a similar strategy with Button, which would've led to a podium, had it not been for a suspension problem late in the race.

Another thing to consider is the tyre compounds each team are running. Renault took part in the Friday test, so they've had more time to work on their cars and think about strategy. Last year, Michelin had the best tyres in Malaysia. The soft and harder compounds worked well according to which strategy each team chose, so even if Renault can't make much noise in the race, hopefully the McLarens and JPM can give the Ferraris a challenge.

I just hope there are no coming togethers at the first turn.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 13:26 (Ref:544154)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You don't think Heidfeld is where he is legit?

Sometimes those sorts of stragies pay off, other times they don't. Usually it's a good thing to have cars behind you, no matter how slow you are. Renault is probably smart to try this stratagy.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 13:47 (Ref:544160)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've read the Sauber's are running different strategies, the conclusion being Heidfeld is two-stopping and Frentzen one-stopping. Remember Sauber have last years Ferrari powerplant and a solidly developed chassis, so I think their pace is genuine. Being their sponsors home race they are playing all their angles.
According to Steve Matchett (former benneton mechanic) Renault's Pat Symonds is not one to shy away from daring strategies, so maybe a three-stopper for Renault is not out of the question. If we get one of those Malaysian downpours it could very well work in their favour.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 Mar 2003, 16:03 (Ref:544199)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raven: agree completely. I was thinking about this Renault strategy and, with a 3pm race start, the threat of rain and a clear track in front of them for the early portion of the race (like anyone will pass them into the first corner with *that* launch control), a three stopper sounds inspired to me!! We shall see.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 16:23 (Ref:544221)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the Renault strategy Raven has outlined is quite smart, involving pitting twice, but making the first stop at around 1/4 distance, maybe even earlier, then running the last 3/4 of the race with one more stop, maybe before the conventional 2-stoppers come in for their second stop. That way they have the benefit of qualifying up front and being able to lead the early laps, coupled with not being heavy for the rest of the race. Don't be surprised if a big team uses it in Brazil.

Also, that strategy can be modified to a straight 3-stopper, which is what I suspect they will run with one car, probably Alonso's, and on both cars if it rains. A repeat of 2001 would partially suit, as long as the safety car isn't brought out too early.

They may not have gone for the strategy that, in the expected situation, is optimal for the race result. Renault have put the wind up the big teams, got some great publicity (everyone will know who Fernando Alonso is now), and are set for a gret result if conditions help them.

As for the rest, the ITV guys noticed that the bridgestone runners were struggling late on in the lap, and might need to pit more often. Could Ferrari be 3 stopping, or will they be struggling for performance compared to Williams and McLaren by the end of each two stop stint (it looks like DC, Kimi and Montoya are all on two stop strategies)? The strategic intrigue of the new system is superb, I can't wait for 7am UK time. Who needs a Saturday night beer session compared to this?
Old 22 Mar 2003, 16:27 (Ref:544223)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If ITV are to be believed, the Ferrari's might struggle with their Bridgestones tomorrow so they may be running lighter than normal. The Renaults have excellent Launch Control, proberbly the best of all the teams and i don't suppose that ferrari and Michael wanted to be stuck behind the Renaults for too long so, with that in mind, i wouldn't be too surprised if they (Ferrari) tried a lighter fuel load, but it didn't work as expected.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 16:54 (Ref:544240)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not falling for it. MS and RB are going to run away with the race as long as there are no incidents. IMO there is absolutely no way the cars with the slowest trap speeds are going to hold Ferrari, with the highest trap speeds behind them. I give the Renaults a max of 5 laps. I would have expected this strategy from Sauber. I still think a two stopper is in Renaults plans but the first stop will come quickly. Then they will do what the did all of last year. They are going to run at a mediocre pace and make up places on pit stops and fuel efficiency. Not very impressive but effective. If all the front runners finish, I feel Renault has at best, a chance at 6th.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 17:02 (Ref:544247)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No question that Ferrari will win, baring bad luck or crashes. Renault may simply advance beyond where you would normally see them.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 18:04 (Ref:544285)   #9
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Alonso and Trulli have the excellent launch controls on their cars and both will fight hard to keep position ahead of the Ferraris. Im pretty sure we`re gonna see some sort of an incident in the first corner..there are a lot of hot heads up at the business end of the grid..
Old 22 Mar 2003, 20:23 (Ref:544417)   #10
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think renault have it right, if you look at the state of the tyres after just two laps i dont see how they can last very long over the race, what is the point in having a heavy fuel load if you have to come in to change tyres, also with the chance of rain it could be a good race for renault
Old 22 Mar 2003, 20:53 (Ref:544455)   #11
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would agree that all other things being equal, the Renaults wouldn't stand a chance but in a wet race or with a little luck and the strategies outlined by Raven and BootsOntheSide I would not be surprised to see one of them (The Renaults) way up on the podium.

Cheers,

RT