Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Oct 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3314674)   #1326
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there are several talking points brought up in that article that i found interesting.

"As long as the data we get from the teams is correct and valid, then we can do a lot of work on structure which is important for safety and integrity," he said.

earlier on in the year some teams may have been fitting the tires on the wrong wheels. im curious how this affected Pirelli's ability to make sense of the data they were getting. are some of the problems we are seeing a result of what happened earlier?

"Where we are in difficulty is in the compound area, because we have four compounds to cover 20-plus races on a car that is dramatically different.

"We don't want to be in a position where we arrive in Bahrain for the first time and don't have a number of options up our sleeves."

my wish is that they would just bring each compound in sufficient quantity to each race. although logistically that would be difficult so perhaps a process teams can pick in advance which of the two compound they want and have that selection done secretly so no one knows until the race weekend. naturally over the season all the teams will probably make the same choices anyways but i always thought more freedom was the way out of this pickle.

Pirelli is still eager for a post-season test in Brazil with one or two teams, and has even suggested that it would help if it could conduct a test in Bahrain in January.

are they suggesting that they will bear some of the costs of testing? hopefully that is enough to get some of the smaller teams to agree and might actually be more beneficial if they can find a way to get more miles and close the gap to the mid field.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3321823)   #1327
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pirelli wants more tyre resting before 2014

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110777
Old 22 Oct 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3321900)   #1328
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Pirelli wants more tyre resting before 2014

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110777
Which makes complete sense....
Old 22 Oct 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3321911)   #1329
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Which makes complete sense....
Apart from more testing itself, I really think this last paragraph somes up the situation for Pirelli.

"And, if changes are to be made, it should be approved by a body like that, (F1's new Strategy Group) that has a mixture of teams, FIA and FOM. That will be the ideal situation, otherwise you end up with lobbying and you fall between the interests of the teams."
Old 22 Oct 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3321925)   #1330
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
That depends how highly you rate Webber Marbs.

Suffice to say I was never in the camp that absolutely creamed themselves when he was 'destroying' Yoong, Pizzonia, and himself being dominated by Nick Heidfeld. He and Vettel are at opposite ends of the spectrum of talent. You know it. I know it. We all know it. That car is sensational and so is its best driver.
Sorry to pull a dead cow out a ditch!

But

Heidfeld did not dominate Webber

Webber out qualified Heidfeld 9 - 5, they finished ahead of each other 6 - 6, Heidfeld got 28 points to Webber's 24 and Heidfeld had a best finish of 2nd to Webber with 3 rd.

Not exactly dominated!
Old 25 Oct 2013, 16:06 (Ref:3322975)   #1331
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Now Pirelli threatens to quit F1 due to lack of testing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110858
Old 25 Oct 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3322994)   #1332
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Fine ! Maybe now some common sense will bring people to reason about testing.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3323001)   #1333
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Sorry to pull a dead cow out a ditch!

But

Heidfeld did not dominate Webber

Webber out qualified Heidfeld 9 - 5, they finished ahead of each other 6 - 6, Heidfeld got 28 points to Webber's 24 and Heidfeld had a best finish of 2nd to Webber with 3 rd.

Not exactly dominated!
The thing with the Webber / Heidfeld battle was, up until that time Mark's fans were going on about him being the dogs dangles, but the rest of us were saying how he'd only had rookie team mates to compare him to, then he got teamed up against Nick. Your right, Nick didn't dominate him, but he was Mark's first "proper" benchmark team mate and until Nick got dropped (iirc that's what happened with William's) he had the upper hand.

History will ultimately show that Mark is/was a better driver than Nick, but the results he had against the other drivers beforehand that his supporters used to use as a guide as to how great he was had to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3323004)   #1334
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Yes, it is probably down to the tyres. But it is the same for everyone, so he can't really complain.

He lead the 2010 championship right up until the start of, ironically, the Korean GP, when his talent failed him after the restart of the race. After that he was, again ironically, to miss out on the WDC because of poor tyre strategy.
To be fair, he lead the championship because his team mate had lost a vast amount of points due to poor reliability at the start of the season. I don't think that citing the Bridgestone as a sole reason for him leading the championship is entirely accurate.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3323063)   #1335
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Now this just gets ridiculous, I put my full support behind Pirelli...

The FIA just act slower than a tortoise when it comes to any decision making.

What is the problem ???
Old 25 Oct 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3323107)   #1336
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
The thing with the Webber / Heidfeld battle was, up until that time Mark's fans were going on about him being the dogs dangles, but the rest of us were saying how he'd only had rookie team mates to compare him to, then he got teamed up against Nick. Your right, Nick didn't dominate him, but he was Mark's first "proper" benchmark team mate and until Nick got dropped (iirc that's what happened with William's) he had the upper hand.

History will ultimately show that Mark is/was a better driver than Nick, but the results he had against the other drivers beforehand that his supporters used to use as a guide as to how great he was had to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Fair enough, I would have rated them as even, probably given it to Webber on the basis of qualifying.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3323112)   #1337
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Now this just gets ridiculous, I put my full support behind Pirelli...

The FIA just act slower than a tortoise when it comes to any decision making.

What is the problem ???
I am honestly beginning to think that the FIA think the tyre dramas enhance the show over the week end and give them a diversion and the chance to do a lot of self righteous finger pointing!
Great distraction from F1s real problems which the FIA are responsible for!

Not so good for Pirelli though; their product looks ... poor; so I would agree with you and back Pirelli here!

F1 needs testing!
Old 25 Oct 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3323117)   #1338
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

What is the problem ???
I don't think it's the FIA that's actually causing the problem. It's up to the teams to work with Pirelli to get something sorted out. The problem being that none of the teams want to see any other team benefiting from Pirelli testing tyres on a one or two year old F1 car.

If I were Pirelli, I would state that we're going to go tyre testing; we're going to pay the team that finishes eleventh in the championship to do it and we're going to give them free access to all data recorded.

Old 26 Oct 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3323119)   #1339
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If I were Pirelli, I would state that we're going to go tyre testing; we're going to pay the team that finishes eleventh in the championship to do it and we're going to give them free access to all data recorded.

And we await the racket when ten other prams get emptied.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3323125)   #1340
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I am honestly beginning to think that the FIA think the tyre dramas enhance the show over the week end and give them a diversion and the chance to do a lot of self righteous finger pointing!
Great distraction from F1s real problems which the FIA are responsible for!

Not so good for Pirelli though; their product looks ... poor; so I would agree with you and back Pirelli here!

F1 needs testing!
So The first point I agree with you..

However the teams are weak about agreeing to anything it seems, so weak ..
Old 26 Oct 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3323129)   #1341
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think it's the FIA that's actually causing the problem. It's up to the teams to work with Pirelli to get something sorted out. The problem being that none of the teams want to see any other team benefiting from Pirelli testing tyres on a one or two year old F1 car.

At the end of the day the FIA are the governing body, they could just impose the testing regime on safety grounds, that would be a valid argument given some of the tyre failures we've had.

Love to see your scenario play out!
Old 1 Dec 2013, 08:53 (Ref:3338834)   #1342
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirelli to test 2014 tyres in the next fortnight. But only RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari will be doing the test.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08274
Old 2 Dec 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3339221)   #1343
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Pirelli to test 2014 tyres in the next fortnight. But only RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari will be doing the test.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08274
Nothing like a level playing field.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3339232)   #1344
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More surprising for me was the implication that Mclaren cannot afford the test.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3339307)   #1345
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Nothing like a level playing field.
What did you expect?

Not sure how the teams are going to simulate the vast amount of torque increase that's expected from the V6 turbos? Maybe running the cars without the rear wing on will do it?
Old 19 Dec 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3345851)   #1346
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some talk of a Pirelli tyre exploding and a crash at top speed during the tyre test at Bahrain. Nico Rosberg was the driver. Not sure if he is hurt or not.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3345853)   #1347
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bb1s0rtIgAA9UQe.png:large

Looking good for when they add 4x as much torque next season.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3345911)   #1348
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Yes I read that also. The most important thing is that he is not injured..

This is the whole idea of tyre testing I suppose..
Old 19 Dec 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3345930)   #1349
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Some talk of a Pirelli tyre exploding and a crash at top speed during the tyre test at Bahrain. Nico Rosberg was the driver. Not sure if he is hurt or not.
Autosport have it here,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111911
Old 19 Dec 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3346084)   #1350
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
This is the whole idea of tyre testing I suppose..
indeed and really happy that NR walked away unhurt all be it with some dirty drawers.

side note i love how people still think deleting something from twitter makes it disappear...once a comment is out there it is out there as seen by numerous news sites quoting the deleted post.