Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Feb 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3506648)   #1
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Race track Only Supercars

As far as i know the first race tack only supercar i saw was the mighty PAGANI ZONDA R (http://www.seriouswheels.com/2009/no...-1920x1440.htm)

Since then with the introduction of hybrid super cars… we have been surprised by 2 massive star´s:

- Ferrari FXX K (http://www.seriouswheels.com/2015/de...2560x1600.html)

- Mclaren P1 GTR (http://www.seriouswheels.com/2014/kl...2560x1600.html)

My 1st question is why they do it??????

The 2nd one is who´s next????

My bet, wich, desire… is

PORSCHE 918 R
Old 19 Feb 2015, 13:59 (Ref:3506656)   #2
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because they can. And because there are people with really deep pockets willing to pay for them.

BTW, my pick is the FXX

PS: Thanks for the new wallpaper
Old 19 Feb 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3506663)   #3
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post

why they do it?????
Because race car.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3506673)   #4
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's some sort of GT1 version of the hypercars, since no team can afford it, or a big enough grid/championship for Factory efforts, it is limited to wealthy people.

It's some sort of Ariel atom concept for super-riches, track only oriented cars, non street legal, half way from this and a GT1 car.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 18:37 (Ref:3506733)   #5
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually these cars aren't super fast. The McLaren P1 GTR is actually slower than a 650S GT3 around a track. Reason? They aren't racecars. These supercar tracktoys may look the part, but they are meant to be driven by any Joe with enough money to afford it.
A GT3 car is made to be driven by actual racecar drivers.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3506773)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A GT3 car is made to be driven by actual racecar drivers.
As far as race cars go, most GT3s are actually quite amateur-friendly and benign, from what I've heard.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 21:23 (Ref:3506798)   #7
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lynx View Post

Reason? They aren't racecars.
I would say some are built to performance (Aero >> Weight). Others are Built to (Technology >> Looks >>Aero >> Weight >> comfort ).

Racecars are Safer in case of accident, and lighter, less powerfull and so I bet lesser top speed, and better turn speed .

In this case Both are not designed to racers*, GT3 has driving aids*, as opposite as a Real GT1 or GT2, they are designed to gentleman driving as said.

*Also GT3 has Paddle shifts instead of a Manual gearbox of a GT1 or GT2.

Last edited by urdragon; 19 Feb 2015 at 21:45. Reason: Added Info
Old 19 Feb 2015, 22:02 (Ref:3506822)   #8
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Yeah, well, McLaren did state that the P1 GTR is slower around a track than a GT3 650S because the P1 was much more user friendly. I was a bit surprised about it though, as the P1 GTR has almost twice the power, and I think it's lighter than the 650S GT3.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 23:27 (Ref:3506848)   #9
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Yeah, well, McLaren did state that the P1 GTR is slower around a track than a GT3 650S because the P1 was much more user friendly. I was a bit surprised about it though, as the P1 GTR has almost twice the power, and I think it's lighter than the 650S GT3.
More downforce and less drag according to this, seems means a harder control, that confirms the "Joe theory" and better laptimes.

Interesting data, since no performance figures are shown at famous tracks of the LaFerrari and P1, and less a FXX K or P1 GTR, in order for them to be compared with any GT3 cars, so without this Mclaren homemade comments would be complicate to compare something.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3506873)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
As far as race cars go, most GT3s are actually quite amateur-friendly and benign, from what I've heard.
Many if not most "amateur" drivers are still much, much better than your average Joe (Vadim Kogay being a notable exception https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4HSpx3aBq8). I certainly wouldn't expect to hop into a GT3 car and clock a lap worthy of a bronze-rated driver!

These track-only cars annoy the living hell out of me. Either back yourself as a manufacturer and do something like a one-make series if you want to be really lazy. But cars designed just to do loops of tarmac for people with more money than sense does not get me interested in the slightest, and they wouldn't even if I had the money.

On a wider note, it's nice to see SRO trying to do something with these kind of hypercars during Blancpain events, but in reality I think it will only go to prove how utterly pointless they are. On a track they wouldn't look anywhere near as spectacular as most racing cars and the ones which are road legal can barely use 10% of its capabilities without breaking the law. Fair play on one level if the owners of these cars actually take them to a track every now and again and throw it about, but apart from those rare instances these cars are symbols of status for the super-rich and their performance numbers are purely academic.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 08:12 (Ref:3506945)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
They might be pointless and yes they are for the stupidly rich only, but these money spinning cars help keep the small manufacturers in business and provide much needed income to fund racing programmes, do not complain about them they are in effect a tax on those people to provide entertainment for the likes of us
Old 20 Feb 2015, 09:11 (Ref:3506954)   #12
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
They might be pointless and yes they are for the stupidly rich only, but these money spinning cars help keep the small manufacturers in business and provide much needed income to fund racing programmes, do not complain about them they are in effect a tax on those people to provide entertainment for the likes of us
+1
Old 20 Feb 2015, 10:54 (Ref:3506984)   #13
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P1 GTR is roughly as fast as a 650S GT3. It has nearly twice the power but it's heavier (to the tune of 100kg) and despite it being on par with the 650S GT3 aero wise it has far narrower rubber (270 vs 320) on the front end, thus much less grip. McLaren has sortof half assed it on this one....'what could have been'.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 16:04 (Ref:3507086)   #14
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

On a wider note, it's nice to see SRO trying to do something with these kind of hypercars during Blancpain events
It's nice to see this hypercars at the SRO events specially if they are those ultra exclusive cars (those of us who doesn't live near London/Monaco), I' ve only managed to see hypercars as a Mclaren P1 at the Gumball 3000 last year, and I would have loved see an F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari or MC12 live in person (And do some selfies...).
Old 20 Feb 2015, 16:20 (Ref:3507095)   #15
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
and despite it being on par with the 650S GT3 aero wise
Has it similar Aero? Then must be some GT-Racing Reglamentary restrictions in Sportscar racing, since road cars (Converted to racing road cars) have plenty of "looks" aero restrictions compared to a GT3, GT Diffusers in Sportscar racing are quite bigger..., Road cars (Converted to racing) don't have dive planes, usually softer pedestrian-friendly fronts (cause of the road car)... I'm not so sure a P1 GTR has to had as much downforce as a 650 GT3 I mean.

Last edited by urdragon; 20 Feb 2015 at 16:26.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3507126)   #16
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Guessing you haven't seen the latest shots of the 'production' model heading to Geneva?

And what I posted is according to a P1 owner who's getting a 650S GT3 instead of the P1 GTR due to it being 'better value for money'.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 05:37 (Ref:3507274)   #17
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Thanks, I didn't see them, seems they forget about active aerodynamics on the racing car (fixed spoiler), I can't understand this, since the GTR hasn't to suit to any regulation that does not permit active Aero (Like that present on the road car), looks like developed from the 650 GT3 instead of from the P1.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 06:39 (Ref:3507281)   #18
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Aston Martin will unveil their most extreme car - Vulcan(!) - at Geneva. From the looks of it, it's another track toy for the absurdly rich.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 06:39 (Ref:3507282)   #19
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
It does have the active aero of the road car....the wing just doesn't raise or lower.

See the small lump on the inside of the wing support? There's one on each support and it's the actuator to adjust the angle of attack of the wing. The flaps in the front diffuser ahead of the front wheels also remain.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3507318)   #20
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
It does have the active aero of the road car....the wing just doesn't raise or lower.

See the small lump on the inside of the wing support? There's one on each support and it's the actuator to adjust the angle of attack of the wing. The flaps in the front diffuser ahead of the front wheels also remain.
So all of that is then electronically adjusted (Realtime by the ECU), that's why this technollogy is ahead of GT Sportscar Racing. Should be introduced in new (GT3/GTE/GT+) regs, together whith hybrid systems, as long as it is in road cars.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3507321)   #21
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Aston Martin will unveil their most extreme car - Vulcan(!) - at Geneva. From the looks of it, it's another track toy for the absurdly rich.
All this stuff was important because of hybrids (Laferrari, P1, Porsche 918), today's new trends at "the city" are hybrid cars, since high powered hypercars can be banned of entering "the city" (Financial heart of the world) due to high CO2 emisions, they will remain as a low volume production car (Like Koenisegg or Pagani) if it hasn't the electric counterpart.

It's in another league then, and AM can do it, since it did it with hydrogen cars at the N24.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 13:31 (Ref:3508817)   #22
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
ASTON MARTIN join´s the party

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/24/a...neva-official/
Old 25 Feb 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3508845)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that looks nice, but i think it is a little out of my price range
Old 25 Feb 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3508873)   #24
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well that looks nice, but i think it is a little out of my price range
Old 25 Feb 2015, 18:57 (Ref:3508930)   #25
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it was that or a used Honda Accord ... it was close, but I went with the Accord. Better fuel mileage.