Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 5 Sep 2002, 22:52 (Ref:374129)   #1
Pickled llama
Rookie

Pickled llama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do i start?

I am 16 now and looking to the future for racing, my aim is of course to go right to the top of professional motor sport. But where do i start? (3 years of karting previous)

please dont mention anything without wings or slicks because i will have to forget everything that i have learnt and spent money on when i progress.

I am looking at formula BMW when it visits the UK in the next few years-if it does, and perhaps global gt lights.

But i am still unsure.

How much should i ask for from sponsors? Who should i ask?

What formulas are best for novices? but below 50k...
Old 6 Sep 2002, 13:39 (Ref:374555)   #2
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have a lot question marks for someone that have been racing karts for 3 yrs. Is there someone supporting you, both financial and logistically?
At 16 i guess you can try Formula BMW in Portugal/Spain www.bmwformulajuniorcup.com - budget € 35.000 for 6 wkd/18 races; Formula Palmer Audi www.formula-palmer-audi.com - Budget GBP 36.000; Formula Junior 1600 Spain www.telefonicaworldseries.com - Bugdet GBP 40.000.
The last is probably the best cause they have a ladder sysytem that will take drivers up to Formula Nissan 2000 and then Formula Nissan V6 WorldSeries.
Good luck
Old 7 Sep 2002, 19:20 (Ref:375365)   #3
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever thought about club-level single seaters e.g. Formula Honda or BARC FRenault.

Major positive - relativley low budgets, and plenty of experienced racers around who may be willing to give tips.

Major negative - you're out of the eye of the FRenault/F3 bosses.

If you need more info on Formula Honda, try to track down Andy Roberts, he's a regular on this forum and a FHonda race winner this season.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 19:34 (Ref:375379)   #4
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 further points Llama,

Driver pedigree in the 2 mentioned Formulae,

BARC FRenault - Jason Coffin, Oliver Scullion & Christian McCarty all went on to full Toca Formula Renault, and current driver Philip Keen will make his FRenault debut with Welch Racing at Donnington on 22nd Sept.

www.barc.net/ch02104.htm

FHonda - Current champ Alex Buncombe is now racing in FRenault with I think Saxon Motorsport.

www.brscc.co.uk and follow links to championship.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 08:38 (Ref:376181)   #5
Keefyboy
Rookie

Keefyboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pickled,

If you seriously want to progress then why do you think you'll do it quicker and better by driving a car with slicks and wings? This won't be great for a 'Novice' car driver either.

What you'll find is that there's a lot of talent wasted by heading straight for this type of formula (unless you're a born natural, which doesn't happen very much nowadays). You'll be another couple of steps up the motorsport ladder so if you don't do so well you'll only fall flat on your face, probably without much cash as well.

At the end of the day it's your choice, but if I had £50k I'd go for UK Formula Ford (National or Avon) and then heard for the slicks and wings after a year or two...

Keith
Old 9 Sep 2002, 10:41 (Ref:376275)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or even regional Zetecs and try and save some cash
Old 9 Sep 2002, 10:44 (Ref:376278)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keefy boy is right, unless you have done well at european or world karting where there is a hell of a lot more grip, then slicks and wings are just too much of a step. You would be best of doing Formula Ford if you have competed in TKM, Yamaha or Prokarts. Here you will find it easier to learn as the car is more forgivable.

Also it is virtually impossible to get any where without an initial backing. If you do not have the money to compete in a national championship for at least 2 years then you find it virtually imposible to find sponsors to get you further.

If you still feel you can cope and find the money please email me about doing a test. wayne@mackiemotorsport.co.uk
Old 12 Sep 2002, 08:26 (Ref:378552)   #8
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to try yourself with a slicks and wing car, go to one of the driving schools, like Palmer's Driving Sensations. If you do good there, than it's worth it to go and race, if you are not so good, then try Formula Zetecs.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 20:40 (Ref:380956)   #9
flange-tastic
Rookie

flange-tastic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just go to races and speack to team managers!

asking a bunch of billys that you dont know on a chat forum is not the way to go about it!

No offence billys!!

hey makmot, spoke to your driver! he was not a happy bunny!
did you get in much trouble?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 14:04 (Ref:381565)   #10
Master Yoda
Rookie

Master Yoda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really if you have 50K to spend your only hope is to Junior Ford and get the attention of some team managers for the the following season. (and some more budget hopefully) You can only do what you can afford but Global GT lights aint gonna get you to the top of the sport.