Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Oct 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1423127)   #1
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[BTCC] 2005 Review

So, now that the racing is over for another year, what did you think of the 2005 BTCC season?

I think, that considering the year start off with only 12 cars on the grid, we had some great racing at all venues this year. All meeting were full of the usual BTCC antics and the races were all close.
Team Dynamics had a cracking year. Their best ever to date no doubt and that Integra is definitley showing its the class of the field, in only its first year as a BTCC car.
Matt Neal has been Mt Consistancy with not a DNF to his name this year and Dan Eaves had some cracking races in the early stages. Late entrant, Gareth Howell, showed that he was worth picking up, even if some guys like Rob Collard and Jason Plato may disagree. But to quote Alan Gow:

"What can I say? It makes good TV"

Vauxhall benefited from the three cars that they ran all season. Muller did well to hold onto Matt's lead but he just couldn't quite get it together at the end. Turkington didn't have the best of seasons. It is his first year at Vauxhall so he needs to adapt to the car some more. Gavin Smith was on a big learning curve this year. He has the money so he didn't need to worry but his results in the latter stages wern't that half bad. Even if his driving at the start of the year was a disgrace (probably adopted from his driving in the Seat's).

Jason Plato did well this year although his driving in the second half of the year was inexcusable. He keeps trying to make up stupid reasons as to why he kept hitting people (particulary at Knockhill when he blatantly drove right into the side of Howell). James Pickford was a real team player this year, which was unfortunate because he was on for a win or two this year when he had to move over for Plato. I wasn't all that impressed by Luke Hines at all though.

As for the rest, Collard did fantastic in an old MG and Chilton has the biggest balls out there. Its just a pity he didn't make it to every race.
Lexus had a very bad first year but I didn't expect their car to be a success. Still, it was nice to see them on the track.
Fiona Leggate ran her car on sugarbeet.....
Mark Proctor had a very uncompetitive car. As did Andy Neate and as for Jason Hughes, well he's upped his game compared to last year. Hopefully he'll be out more often next year.

OK, I'd better shut up now.....