Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Dec 2010, 10:10 (Ref:2806466)   #1
saddelbags
Rookie

saddelbags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
circuit improvements

I see a lot of circuit improvements are taken place I was wondering if any would improve the racing make it more of a spectacle and attract more people to come and watch because I have yet to see one that as what do other ten tenthers think
Old 21 Dec 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2806977)   #2
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the modifications that they are making to Snetterton I am not a fan of, example Coram/Russel and Sears corner.. but lets see how it goes once we get to the track.
Old 9 Jan 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2813265)   #3
dusty
Rookie

dusty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuits can spend millions on improvements if they want, it won`t bring one extra person through the turnstiles!! The price of going to a meeting is far too high! I persuaded my mate and his two kids along to a club meeting a few years ago. The kids were bored due to the massive gaps between races.It took nearly 30 minutes to clear the track and get the next race gridded up. Surely this must be looked at! If this procces could be streamlined the clubs would be able to put more races on which would help pay the circuit hire costs. They also were very underimpressed with the entries, the eldest looked and the program and asked why one race had about 12 entries and seven classes! I understand but he did not. They also wanted to know when there were going to be any new cars out, as most of these were built long before he was born.They are the playstation generation and wanted to see modern cars, cars that they would see on the road and cars that they would want to own. If I cast my mind back to when I first started watching motorsport there always seemed a mix of classics and moderns, now it only seems like a never endin parade of older cars.
Now, before about a billion people flame me, I have nothing against classics or older cars. I also appreciate that there is a considerable cost to taking part in motorsport. I am a spectator and my driving skill is normally summed up in a sentance which involves the words "greasy stick" and "pig`s bottom", so I have the ultimate respect for the club racers on this forum who`s passion ensures I enjoy my weekends.
My friend`s children have no interest whatsover in returning to a race track,this is sad because we need a new generation of fans to watch and hopefully get interested enough to take part. The circuits have to reduce admission prices. I feel that there must be a concerted effort on everybodies part to get more spectators to events. Surely it would be easier to get some sponsorship for individual drivers or series if the sponsor concerned could see that their name was being seen by a decent crowd. At the minute the crowds seem to be dwindeling and the grids seem to be getting sparser. Perhaps these two things are connected?
Old 9 Jan 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2813309)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Club racing is not run for spectators. Except for the committed enthusiast (and we ought to be - committed that is ) it is boring.

Club racing is run for the competitors. Repeat until it sinks in.

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Jan 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2813367)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
CLUB RACING IS NOT BORING!!!!!!!!! rather watch a grid of fford, legends, caterhams, nw sports/saloons, stock hatch any day over f1.....some of the best racing you will ever see!!
Old 9 Jan 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2813467)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not boring, but it's not very glamorous either, compared to lots of other things you could be doing on a sunday.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2813509)   #7
dusty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Club racing is not run for spectators. Except for the committed enthusiast (and we ought to be - committed that is ) it is boring.

Regards

Jim
I will actually disagree a bit with you there! Some of the finest and most exiting racing I have ever had the privaledge to watch has been these commited enthusiasts! I have seen the multi-millionaires in their f1 cars and would sooner go to watch a 750 motor club meeting any day!

I can see why you would say club racing is run for the competitors, that is why it is club racing. I also think that club racing is the bedrock of all motorsport. I know (as I have said before, I have zero talent in the driving department) that club racers enjoy their sport and many are not contemplating a future of yachts and glamourous girlfriends in the world of formula one. I just regard the lack of spectators at some of these club meetings as a shame. Surely more spectators is not a bad thing? After all some of these spectators may just decide to have a go themselves and you never know the next hamilton or button might just start out by watching a "clubbie" at a wet and cold Brands Hatch!
Club racing is for "amateurs" but by the same token my grumble aout a lack of on-track action during the day reflects on entry fees. Surely the track hire comes from the entry fees and if the track is unused then the money is being wasted. More entries for more races would surely mean a lower cost per car..and I am sure lowering any cost towards club racers is not bad thing.
The initial question was about circuit improvements bringing in more spectators. perhaps if the circuits only received the gate money then you would see some amazing promotions!
As I keep saying, I enjoy watching club racing, but I am afraid I am starting to find more and more empty space around me at every meeting I attend.The age is starting to creep up and that to me is a bad sign as there is no new generation of fans to replace us old`uns. Perhaps if you regard spectators as unimportant, why not run the meetings behind closed doors? A bit of negotioating with the circuit owners would give a lower hire cost as they would not require security staff and public liability insurance ( tongue slightly in cheek there!)
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2814649)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Some meetings ARE run that way!
However, most circuits will require some security staff, as the circuit is open anyway, so why not flog a few tickets and programmes to those punters who DO turn up.

I like the last 2 meetings at Sillystone, as it's local. 750MC Birkett Relay, and Walter Hayes Formula Ford festival. Both are freezing, both are very sparsely attended, and both are just great fun. My kids disagree, though!

The PS generation seem to think that they can have everything for nothing, immediately. Sorry kids, but you can't. So don't ask!

Some of them will come back, when they have tried over priced football matches, or the like...
Old 12 Jan 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2814672)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
I will actually disagree a bit with you there! Some of the finest and most exiting racing I have ever had the privaledge to watch has been these commited enthusiasts! I have seen the multi-millionaires in their f1 cars and would sooner go to watch a 750 motor club meeting any day!

. . .
If I was going to precise, I should, of course, have said "some" since otherwise why would I go to lots of club racing. But my essential point is that lots of the enjoyment of club racing is a bit "technical" and not a wowee spectacle.

But the fact remains that there is quite a lot of club racing which is dull by any objective measurement and ought to be branded as a trackday with timing. Fine, that is grassroots sport and I'm happy to support at least a measure of it.

But is not ever going to attract spectators and we need to accept that it is run for (and funded by) competitors.

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Jan 2011, 07:19 (Ref:2816625)   #10
dusty
Rookie

Of course there are events which are not spectator-friendly...I forgot about some of those boring days watching other people enjoy themselves! The thing that concerns me a little is that in this modern age of bean-counters and the like, what would happen if the circuit owners decide that with low revenue at the gate, they might as well run a track day on a sunday as a club meeting?
Spectator numbers is not the reason joe bloggs goes racing on a Sunday. It is a shame his(or her) efforts are not rewarded by a few faces at the fence though!
Old 30 Jan 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2822750)   #11
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post

Regards

Jim
Sorry but I cant agree with you. Have you been to any 750 Motor Club meetings? If not try it. A lot more qualifying & races than some of the major series and value for money. The drivers are more friendly and have time to talk to you not like some meetings I could mention but wont.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2822751)   #12
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Some meetings ARE run that way!
However, most circuits will require some security staff, as the circuit is open anyway, so why not flog a few tickets and programmes to those punters who DO turn up.

I like the last 2 meetings at Sillystone, as it's local. 750MC Birkett Relay, and Walter Hayes Formula Ford festival. Both are freezing, both are very sparsely attended, and both are just great fun. My kids disagree, though!

The PS generation seem to think that they can have everything for nothing, immediately. Sorry kids, but you can't. So don't ask!

Some of them will come back, when they have tried over priced football matches, or the like...

Yes and as a marshal I will agree. I always have these two meetings ticked on my attendance sheet.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2822760)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post
Sorry but I cant agree with you. Have you been to any 750 Motor Club meetings? If not try it. A lot more qualifying & races than some of the major series and value for money. The drivers are more friendly and have time to talk to you not like some meetings I could mention but wont.
you mean the ones where there's 30,000 spectators and if the drivers there stopped and talked to every single spectator who wanted to speak to them they'd be there till a week next tuesday?
Old 30 Jan 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2822838)   #14
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Notwithstanding the relative merits of 750MC meetings, the primary purpose of such meetings is to provide a place for competitors to race and don't have the same function of other larger meetings, such as Renault World Series, where a signficant aim is to obtain a large crowd for the commerical benefits.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2822855)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Have you been to any 750 Motor Club meetings? If not try it.
I reckon JimW has been to one or two at least...