Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Feb 2004, 06:37 (Ref:859749)   #101
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is a snap that I took in the Snett paddock in 1971. My father on the left is chatting to his former driver Stan Matthews with Stan's FF Lotus and his road going E-type. Stan lost out by a nose in the race to Mike Catlow.
I have put this one in to mention the power of the web.
Someone saw a thread on Roger Williamson where I mentioned Stan, the fact that I last saw him in 1978 and no-one seemed to know where he went.This kind gent from South Africa got in touch to say that Stan lives there now and he works with his wife. So after after many years we have contact again. As we did so many Snetterton meetings, Stan may have some old pics we can post. He is sure he has some.
Attached Thumbnails
sn71-ff-stan.jpg  
Old 3 Feb 2004, 09:00 (Ref:861162)   #102
Gnuvolari
Rookie

Gnuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew

Here's a couple of early pics of Snetters. The airborne shot is definitely at that circuit. The start/finish line one too, I think. You can just make out the end of the "grandstand" on the extreme left of the shot. For more info about the car/driver, see my separate Don Moore thread.

Last edited by Gnuvolari; 3 Feb 2004 at 09:05.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 09:42 (Ref:861182)   #103
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gnuvolari-great pics. The finish line shot is definitely Snett, although I don't think it is the end of a grandstand you can see but the hangar that used to be there. Note the lack of spectator protection on the main straight!
Old 11 Feb 2004, 21:31 (Ref:871216)   #104
Mike Dodman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Mike Dodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm ashamed to admit that I have only just "discovered this forum!
Re Andrew's comment about the open stand at the Hairpin.It was from there that I recall watching a titanic "battle" between two great F1 stars "having a bit of fun" - Jim Clark in the L/Cortina and Jack Brabham in a big American V8. As they came into view along the long Norwich Straight Jack was way ahead, but needed to start braking while Jim Clark still had his right foot flat on the floor. In the apex of the corner CLark was right up behind and then as they accelerated away down towards the Esses Brabham pulled away again.
It was a wonderful battle, hard fought but gentlemanly. In those days no-one even considered nerfing anyone off, unlike today's breed of touring car drivers - shame I can't remember who won!
Old 11 Feb 2004, 21:57 (Ref:871247)   #105
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike, welcome. Jack would probably have been in Alan Brown's red Mustang. He had many battles with Jimmy in this car.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 00:13 (Ref:872607)   #106
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Remember these little Fiat Abarth's with boot lid propped open for cooling? In the ETCC 1966 I think(?)
This was from an Autosport, but until now still in my childhood scrapbook which I am pleased to still have. Photographer unknown.
Out of the hairpin heading down towards the Esses. Visitors to Snetterton Market drive on this piece of tarmac now at the entrance.
Dont remember the year, but I was there! As I recall the race featured an epic scrap between Jochen Rindt in the works GTA Alfa and Sir John Whitmore in the Allan Mann Lotus Cortina. It also slung it down with rain I think. I would have been about 12 or 13 at the time. Later between 1972-74 I marshalled a few clubbies there (I was with the University of East Anglia Motor Club at the time). Generally it beat marshalling road rallies (the Fens at 3 am are very lonely) unless you happened to be at Riches on the first lap of a Formula Ford race. About 20 guys, all thinking they're the next Emerson Fittipaldi and all convinced they have exclusive right over the racing line. Absolute carnage.......
Old 13 Feb 2004, 04:08 (Ref:872672)   #107
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just a note to say how much fun reading this (and looking at pictures) has been, should be going to sleep!
Old 14 Feb 2004, 08:43 (Ref:873941)   #108
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found this thread as well!
I marshalled at Snetts from 62 to 82 when moved from East Anglia to Wiltshire, so many days were spent at Snetts.
Memories include first ever day on the bank...Russell when a really quick " flick right/flick left" and European saloon cars; pulling formula fords out of the ' lytag' gravel trap at the hairpin at the end of the long straight; flagging on the narrow bank in the middle of the Esses with T70s a flags length away (!) and a steep drop behind you; first 24 hour races with 4 hours on & 4 off with a "dawn patrol" stint at Sear; picking up go kart wheels which rweached the hedge next to the A11 near Sear; one boring day on the flag post half way down the A11 straight only enlivened by two breakdowns ( one on the road for which my brother & I put out yellow flags when a race car was returned to its trailer) and an inexhaustible supply of carrots around the post; greasy breakfasts at the early 24 hour races.........
Must stop, nostalgia is not what it used to be.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 20:00 (Ref:887643)   #109
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John Day - FF Lotus 51 at Riches, May 1969. Photo Ted Walker, Ferret Fotographics.
Attached Thumbnails
sn69-ff-johnday.jpg  
Old 27 Feb 2004, 20:05 (Ref:887647)   #110
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Spitfires never flew from Snetterton Heath in the war but one visited in the mid 90s. Its pilot was racing too and parked it as close as possible to his motorhome in the paddock overnight. Photo by Peter Swinger.
Attached Thumbnails
sn96-spit.jpg  
Old 27 Feb 2004, 22:07 (Ref:887769)   #111
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I imagine there wasn't the need for anyone to set their alarm in the morning for a mile or two, just set the Merlin on auto contact and full rich for 630am thankyou!

Wouldn't be good to reach over and hit the snooze button come to think of it......
Old 27 Feb 2004, 23:48 (Ref:887834)   #112
Startline1
Rookie

Startline1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I well remember the spit visiting at a couple of meeting and also a Me 109 flown in by a driver,pity neither took the time to shoot down Nicola!!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 09:37 (Ref:888060)   #113
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The RAC Rally ventured into East Anglia in 1964. Here is the winning Volvo at the Esses.A Mike Dixon photo.
Attached Thumbnails
sn-racrally.jpg  
Old 28 Feb 2004, 09:40 (Ref:888061)   #114
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Start of an F3 race in 1970. Dave Walker, Richard Scott and Emerson Fittipaldi at the front.
Attached Thumbnails
sn70-f3-start.jpg  
Old 28 Feb 2004, 09:46 (Ref:888065)   #115
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
This I.C.Pearce photo shows Archie Scott-Brown winning in 1953 in the Tojeiro-Jap. Note the hangar on the outside of Coram and lack of spectator protection.
Attached Thumbnails
sn53-archie.jpg  
Old 28 Feb 2004, 09:50 (Ref:888070)   #116
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I've put this one in to show Snetterton regular Bernard Vermilio and the Jim Russell Racing Drivers School ( Merlyn?)It is either 1970 or 71. Thing is which circuit? It is not Snetterton - which track had motorcycles racing in the opposite direction ( note the grid markings), either Mallory or Brands at a guess.Tony Brise in the middle and Russell Wood on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
mp70-ff-start.jpg  

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 28 Feb 2004 at 09:53.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 12:44 (Ref:888193)   #117
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thinking about it , can't be Mallory as the pit straight runs north to south. The sun would not be north north east!
Probably Brands.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 12:50 (Ref:888198)   #118
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This could well be Brands Hatch as the Hutch 100
bike race was run in the reverse direction in those days.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 12:54 (Ref:888200)   #119
petestenning
Veteran

Present day starters might be glad that the chequered flag is not as big as that one Andrew!!
Great stuff
Old 28 Feb 2004, 15:17 (Ref:888252)   #120
NickReeve
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Startline1
I well remember the spit visiting at a couple of meeting and also a Me 109 flown in by a driver,pity neither took the time to shoot down Nicola!!
If it was a 109, then the Spit presumably would be the Mk 9 run by Ray Hannah the Old Flying Maching Company at Duxford? I believe his son flew the only airworthy 109 in the UK in those days (sadly he crashed it a couple of years ago and was killed). Didnt know they races as well though
Old 28 Feb 2004, 16:12 (Ref:888278)   #121
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The spit was flown by David Pennell.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 20:16 (Ref:888479)   #122
h4887
Rookie

England
Braintree,Essex
h4887 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pictures. I well remember sitting in the little grandstand at the hairpin, watching the Kincraft thundering towards me and wondering if it would go right over my head in the event of brake failure.
I never could resist flooring the throttle of my TR3 going down the A11 in the faint hope of keeping up with someone on the other side of the hedge!
I still have a faded photo of me trundling along the old straight in a Jim Russell school Lotus 51.
Fings ain't what they used to be, but then they never were!
Geoff Butcher
Old 29 Feb 2004, 00:53 (Ref:888708)   #123
NickReeve
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
The spit was flown by David Pennell.
Thanks Andrew.....Be interesting to find out what it was then. Looks like a IX, but then again....

Afraid Vintage aicraft are another thing of mine. Fortunately they're well out of my price range....
Old 1 Mar 2004, 07:27 (Ref:889771)   #124
petestenning
Veteran

Andrew your picture of Stan Matthews reminds me that he also raced in Formula F100 that little sports car series in the seventies.
I also remember the dices between Nick Coles,
Silhouette and Ray Allen,s Royale RP4/6?.
Formula F100 was named after the tyre that the formula used i beleive, and that a member of the Firestone family also came to britain to compete,Brooks?.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 09:09 (Ref:889832)   #125
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes Pete, Stan drove a Jim Russell school F100.