Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 30 Apr 2007, 07:29 (Ref:1903164)   #1
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP explosions?

Out of interest! what is causes the explosions when they back off the power into a corner?

Cheers
Old 30 Apr 2007, 07:34 (Ref:1903167)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know the exact engineering proper answer however I do love that noise
Old 30 Apr 2007, 08:13 (Ref:1903192)   #3
mrsweety
Racer

sorry I meant

*Out of interest! what is the cause of those explosions when they back off the power into a corner?*

Yer they sound great :-) and I must know the engineering reason :-). I'd say the cars are up there with F1 for sound, but then again last time I heard F1 my ears were ringing for 4 months.... and now have ear damage in right ear... but that's prob down to racing also.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1903268)   #4
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Added to by the impromptu post-qualifying firework display by the guys in orange (no, not the marshals -- the Dutch supporters).
Old 30 Apr 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1903269)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Engine advance. When you lift off unburnt fuel still enters the cylinders and the pop and crackle is the fuel burning off. Its the same thing that you see from GTs and other cars when they back off and flames come out of the exhausts.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1903271)   #6
mrsweety
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Engine advance. When you lift off unburnt fuel still enters the cylinders and the pop and crackle is the fuel burning off. Its the same thing that you see from GTs and other cars when they back off and flames come out of the exhausts.
Thanks, thought as much! but it's much much louder, why is that?
Old 30 Apr 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1903272)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No noise limits on FIA cars.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 10:48 (Ref:1903277)   #8
mrsweety
Racer

Is that the real reason :-) - UK and noise issues eh.........

Not being an engine builder, what is the advantage of running advance?
Old 30 Apr 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1903285)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Better speak to an engine builder I haven't a clue.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1903369)   #10
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's not done for any advantage, they just wanted the cars to look and sound exciting for the spectators, and they have done a fabulous job with it! Incidentally, you don't see any flame like GT cars (check out the Chamberlain Porsche for a good example) because the exhaust outlets are buried deep in the engine, in front of the gearbox unlike most cars.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1903375)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I realise you don't see the flames.

But you wouldn't get any of that noise unless the engines were running advanced and that is done to increase power, not for aural or visual effect. How advancing an engine works on the power curve I don't know.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1903392)   #12
mrsweety
Racer

It's not done for noise! LOL it's done for power and I'm interested in why.

There were flames but they were just on the inside of the pipes.

Sounded great tho and love to drive one.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1903426)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know WRCs do it as a result of anti-lag to keep the turbo speed up, but as far as NA goes I'm just guessing.

Something to do with throttle response coupled to how rich a thoroughbred racing engine of that type runs maybe?
Old 30 Apr 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1903489)   #14
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsweety
It's not done for noise! LOL it's done for power and I'm interested in why.
I beg to differ. The engine is not developing power as the throttle is closed and the engine is on overrun. It's done for noise as per the Sheik's original (non-engineering) specification for look and sound.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1903508)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Frankly the Sheik can say what he likes but all racing engines do it to a greater or lessr extent because of fuel flow and ignition advance.

However unless you want to blow up an engine, there is no way you would purposely make it happen. In other words it is the natural result of the correct level of tuning. This also involves the exhausts which must be tuned to suit the car's performance.

Sorry was that blasphemous?
Old 30 Apr 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1903511)   #16
mrsweety
Racer

We need a tech on the case, I'll find one
Old 9 May 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1909829)   #17
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE the sound of the A1 cars, i was at the Sydney round for last season and i'd have to say that whilst the crackling and popping of the exhaust was nice, the overall noise was only loud, and thats all. A friend i was with commented that Formula 1 cars in comparison sounded alot better, not quite as loud but perhaps echoed more.
Old 11 May 2007, 04:57 (Ref:1910778)   #18
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice bit of flame throwing for you here http://www.v8supercar.com.au/photoga...660881&pnum=18
Old 11 May 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1911253)   #19
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsweety
Out of interest! what is causes the explosions when they back off the power into a corner?

Cheers
unburnt fuel causes this, the A1GP car's have the same engine as the old zytek 04S LMP1 car and that backfired unlike anything on four wheels or indeed, anything with wheels!
Old 18 May 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1916043)   #20
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The backfiring and flames are caused by running a rich fuel mixture. They do this to cool the exhaust valves. If they were too lean they would heat up causing problems.

Jeff
Old 9 Nov 2014, 03:14 (Ref:3473018)   #21
gossie
Rookie

gossie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very old thread I found on the A1 open wheelers.

I'm fully aware it all fell to bits with the GFC, but what actually happened to the cars themselves?

From memory last I heard some years back they were stuck in the UK with unpaid bills hanging over their head.

Just interested to know of any news on them........perhaps they were scrapped?
Old 9 Nov 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3473200)   #22
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think that the Auto GP got the F2004 inspired cars and Formula Hasselhoff (FA1) got the Lola's.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3473287)   #23
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
I think that the Auto GP got the F2004 inspired cars and Formula Hasselhoff (FA1) got the Lola's.
Not quite. Both FA1 and Auto GP use the Lola. The Ferraris haven't been used since A1 ended.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 10 Nov 2014, 04:57 (Ref:3473338)   #24
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure everyone knows what AutoGP is but for those that are unfamiliar with the other group that uses the Lola it is marketed as "Acceleration" and mixes open wheelers , legend cars and pick up truck races with dance parties and is based in Europe.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3479259)   #25
Andy 308GTB
Rookie

England
Essex
Andy 308GTB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
A very old thread I found on the A1 open wheelers.

I'm fully aware it all fell to bits with the GFC, but what actually happened to the cars themselves?

From memory last I heard some years back they were stuck in the UK with unpaid bills hanging over their head.

Just interested to know of any news on them........perhaps they were scrapped?
A friend spotted the entire A1GP grid plus the Ferrari pace car in a warehouse near Woking about a year or so ago. Obviously, these would have been the cars with the Ferrari engines.