Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jan 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2819188)   #451
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
something i find intresting is that even the hybrid system is not within the aco regulations, where it is stated that a maximum of 500kj may be stored in the device, and in the gt3 r hybrid porsche has stated that the 120kw engines are abele to run in 6-8s bursts that means the flywheel stores
120kwX(6-8)s = 720kj - 960kj, I find it odd that if they are developing a system to race in the lmp1 that they would develop and test a system outside of regulations, also the fact that the system is also acompanied with the push to pass button, withc is also iligal by aco regulations. I just don't see the point, it is a known fackt that they wont use the flywheel for road use, so what is the point of developing racing tecnology outside of any regualtions
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2819190)   #452
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
500kJ might be a value just for this year, perhaps the ACO have communicated only to the manufacturers that the maximum energy storage value is to be increased gradually over the next few years, bringing the 918's system exactly into the regulatory range. Who knows? Might help the development of more efficient energy storage devices.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2819199)   #453
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
that would make sence, since 500kj is hardly worth the hassle of developing a hybrid system, in F1 they are alowed 400kj and thats worh only 0.2-0.3 seconds, a figure easily achived trough development of already proven technologies
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2819293)   #454
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the system is capable to develop 960 kJ, it would be able to deliver 500 kJ...
It's not in its definitive form, and it will be revised before to be applied on the future P1...
But I'm pretty sure Porsche is coming back in Le Mans. In 2013, according to some rumors...
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 22 Jan 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2819333)   #455
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
If the system is capable to develop 960 kJ, it would be able to deliver 500 kJ...
It's not in its definitive form, and it will be revised before to be applied on the future P1...
But I'm pretty sure Porsche is coming back in Le Mans. In 2013, according to some rumors...
While that would be fabulous, there have been on again, off again rumours for over a decade about Porsche coming back to LM in the top class, as far as building a car.....
Old 23 Jan 2011, 01:42 (Ref:2819399)   #456
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I thought F1's KERS system was to be more powerful this year? I think so at least. Possibly ACO will follow suit.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 02:57 (Ref:2819410)   #457
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I thought F1's KERS system was to be more powerful this year? I think so at least. Possibly ACO will follow suit.
nope they are stuck, because McLaren's system can't be upgraded
Old 23 Jan 2011, 03:11 (Ref:2819413)   #458
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
. I just don't see the point, it is a known fackt that they wont use the flywheel for road use, so what is the point of developing racing tecnology outside of any regualtions
Where do you get the impression that the flywheel system has no future in road use? My understanding is this is the real reason for developing that system, particularly for urban transportation systems. The Porsche/Williams cooperation in racing is also aimed at proving up the systems ability to save fuel, and the long term advantages that gives in Enduro events.
If the ACO is pressured by Toyota, Honda and Porsche to be allowed to demonstrate new technology I think you can bet that the regs for 2012/13 will reflect that. Audi and Peugot put just that sort of case for diesel and got the result they wanted.
One thing ACO would not like to see is the loss of techological leadership enjoyed by LMP over F1.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 04:16 (Ref:2819426)   #459
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
nope they are stuck, because McLaren's system can't be upgraded
The teams aren't all using 'McLaren's system'. Magnetti Marelli are said to supply a few teams. Is that McLaren's KERS?
Old 23 Jan 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2819474)   #460
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Where do you get the impression that the flywheel system has no future in road use? My understanding is this is the real reason for developing that system, particularly for urban transportation systems. The Porsche/Williams cooperation in racing is also aimed at proving up the systems ability to save fuel, and the long term advantages that gives in Enduro events.
If the ACO is pressured by Toyota, Honda and Porsche to be allowed to demonstrate new technology I think you can bet that the regs for 2012/13 will reflect that. Audi and Peugot put just that sort of case for diesel and got the result they wanted.
One thing ACO would not like to see is the loss of techological leadership enjoyed by LMP over F1.
because the battery system is far more practical, cheaper and easier to implement then the flywheel system, Porche themselves are using and plan to use only the batery system even on their road 918, I could be wrong, but i seriusly doupt it

read this article about the differences of the systemlink

Last edited by arakis; 23 Jan 2011 at 11:04.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2819477)   #461
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The teams aren't all using 'McLaren's system'. Magnetti Marelli are said to supply a few teams. Is that McLaren's KERS?
magnetti marelli is supplying ferrari and ferrari engined teams, Mclaren a few others, but the point is because mclarens system cant be upgraded they wont alow the change, and the desition has to be unanimus if it is to be implemented in the next year, this is a rumor i've read somewhere, I am not sure of its validity