Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 May 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3074324)   #51
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Minoru Hayashi (president of Dome) always says that the business which sells prototype to privator is not realistic in sportscar market.
He says that one-make car business or business from automotive manufacturer is realistic.
Old 14 May 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3074341)   #52
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Minoru Hayashi (president of Dome) always says that the business which sells prototype to privator is not realistic in sportscar market
So , Hugh de Chaunac has it all wrong ?
Old 14 May 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3074345)   #53
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Minoru Hayashi (president of Dome) always says that the business which sells prototype to privator is not realistic in sportscar market.
He says that one-make car business or business from automotive manufacturer is realistic.
a sentence like that makes me think more like The Fox and the Grapes fable... lola first and oreca currently have built a good market supplying cars for private teams.
Old 14 May 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3074352)   #54
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
a sentence like that makes me think more like The Fox and the Grapes fable... lola first and oreca currently have built a good market supplying cars for private teams.
You think Oreca's profit comes from selling 03s???? They are a massive business that does all sorts of other motorsport activities.

Lola went into administration before the current owners bailed it out.

Dallara makes money, but has much, much higher volumes of single-seaters.

HPD sell a tiny volume and most of the infrstructure was presumably paid for by HPD when they developed the factory cars.

Ben
Old 14 May 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3074357)   #55
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
You think Oreca's profit comes from selling 03s????
i don't work as accountant technician for oreca, but i guess that oreca doesn't build and sell their oreca 03 (and spare parts) for fun or for hobby...
Old 14 May 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3074360)   #56
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Or the LMPC either .....
Old 14 May 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3074366)   #57
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
i don't work as accountant technician for oreca, but i guess that oreca doesn't build and sell their oreca 03 (and spare parts) for fun or for hobby...
It's probably closer to hobby (passion might be a better word) than you would believe.

But all I'm saying is that I find it unlikely that Oreca would produce the car it does without the rest of it's supporting business.

Lets not forget that the tub for the 03 and the LMPC car is based on the Courage LMP tub, so it came designed and with tooling from the remnants of another company that, you guessed it, went bust.

Ben
Old 14 May 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3074368)   #58
alexkiller8
Veteran

oreca started to be a manufacter after they BOUGHT the courage company... we all know that oreca01, oreca03 and FLM09 are built using LC chassis as base. This is not a mistery. But i disagree about your opinion that oreca successfully works in private supplier market just for passion.
Old 14 May 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3074369)   #59
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
@alexkiller8: You need to be realistic. With the cost cap it is hardly possible to make money selling LMP2 cars. Last year, we had the whole cost cap vs non-cost cap mess because some manufacturers could not make their cars cheap enough. In 2011 Oreca did not run with a fin because designing the fin would increase the cost of the car above the cost cap.
Old 14 May 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3074391)   #60
alexkiller8
Veteran

hardly they gain A LOT of money, this is true, but isn't true that oreca doesn't earn profit selling their cars.
I "realisticly" think that oreca sells the oreca 03 (cost capped) with a higher price than the cost of production, so this generates a profit. More cars are sold and the more profit they reach (and if you just watch the LM entry list, they sell a lot of cars). For sure enter in this niche market requires a lot of passion, but can' be denied the economic matter of all this.

Talking about passion, maybe teams like JLOC, the proton #63 or sebastian loeb team can be said that run just for passion.
Old 14 May 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3074449)   #61
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I heard exactly that from Dallara last week - they won't be making an LMP any time soon because there's no money to be made.
Old 14 May 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3074454)   #62
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
It's probably closer to hobby (passion might be a better word) than you would believe.

But all I'm saying is that I find it unlikely that Oreca would produce the car it does without the rest of it's supporting business.

Lets not forget that the tub for the 03 and the LMPC car is based on the Courage LMP tub, so it came designed and with tooling from the remnants of another company that, you guessed it, went bust.

Ben
It doesnt matter when or who designed it , its being commisioned by Oreca , and tooled up by Oreca , and he makes money from it . They also made money from the Acura chassis ..... or did they do that for fun too ?
Old 14 May 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3074455)   #63
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
@alexkiller8: You need to be realistic
Hugh de Chaunac owns a buisness called Oreca . Oreca opperate to make a profit , right or wrong . Oreca are a pretty big company within the motorsports industry , doing many things in many arena's .

Whats wrong with the idea that Oreca makes money from their P2 and LMPC chassis builds ..... some people here seem to think Oreca are doing this for fun , passion or other reasons .

Fun & passion doesnt put bread on the table , or am I wrong ?

I fully agree , some people need to be realistic .
Old 14 May 2012, 17:14 (Ref:3074456)   #64
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
I heard exactly that from Dallara last week - they won't be making an LMP any time soon because there's no money to be made.
Dallara is currently involved in a lot of open wheel competition, no surprise that they are not intersted in lmp or other competition. I think that they will change their mind if a manufacter knocks to their door for a lmp project...
Old 14 May 2012, 17:32 (Ref:3074460)   #65
The Badger
Veteran

I was under the impression Dallara do the layup for Audi ?
Old 14 May 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3074461)   #66
alexkiller8
Veteran

dallara was involved in the r8 project and development; while for the r10 built the tub and other components.
Old 14 May 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3074465)   #67
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Dallara do work with Audi on the development of their cars, but the point I intended to make was that they wouldn't consider making an LMP customer car.
Old 14 May 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3074503)   #68
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
Dallara do work with Audi on the development of their cars, but the point I intended to make was that they wouldn't consider making an LMP customer car.
Exactly - there's no real reasoning for Dallara to attempt this. They're enjoying all the benefits of a monopoly, being supplier to a spec series.
Designing an LMP customer car means they'd have to compete with other constructors and, for a far lesser profit margin (by the sounds of it).
Old 14 May 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3074510)   #69
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well no Bombshell yet...
Was it all smoke with no fire? (well the smoke wasn't really there, only the word that it was)
Old 14 May 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3074520)   #70
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota lunching an engine at MotorLand? That's a bit of smoke...
Old 14 May 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3074527)   #71
The Badger
Veteran

I have it on excellant authority that there is no issue with Lola , so dont ask .

Glad that rumour has been put to bed , and shame on the stirrers .
Old 14 May 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3074535)   #72
frenchyben
Rookie

France
Lyon
frenchyben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Badger, hope you're right but not so sure... very reliable source as well.
time will tell...
all the best.
Old 14 May 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3074544)   #73
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Recent tweets regarding the potential bad news from Lola.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @stephen_wills
@dsceditor @GUYSMITH16 I've heard on several grapevines that Lola Cars have gone out of business. True?
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dsceditor
@sbeuse @johndagys No news isn't bad news - yet!
Old 14 May 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3074577)   #74
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Exactly - there's no real reasoning for Dallara to attempt this. They're enjoying all the benefits of a monopoly, being supplier to a spec series.
Designing an LMP customer car means they'd have to compete with other constructors and, for a far lesser profit margin (by the sounds of it).
Interestingly, I was also told that they would prefer to compete against others than supply a spec series. You can't have it both ways...
Old 14 May 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3074582)   #75
Henri vitex
Rookie

Henri vitex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I have it on excellant authority that there is no issue with Lola , so dont ask .

Glad that rumour has been put to bed , and shame on the stirrers .
I would question your "excellent authority" Badger. Keep your eyes on the press!

I think you will find that us French know our stuff.

Last edited by Henri vitex; 14 May 2012 at 21:20.