Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Jan 2004, 15:45 (Ref:845524)   #1
hillclimber26
Rookie

hillclimber26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elden and Saracen

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the Saracen racing cars of the late 70's. I know that Saracen was a spin off from Elden when they went bust but what happened to the cars. According to thier web site there were 8 odd FF1600 (Mk20) cars plus a couple of FF2000 (Mk21) cars.

Anyone know what happened to the FF2000 cars? Do they still exist? Are they still competing somewhere.

No particular reason for the question, just interested if anyone knows anything as I had never heard of Saracen before.

Cheers

Jim
Old 21 Jan 2004, 17:56 (Ref:845667)   #2
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saracen's are very hard to find on the tracks these days, as are competitive Elden's, the Pre 74 MK10 being the most well known. Elden made a small comeback in the early 90's with a Formula Renault which was way off the pace.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 12:01 (Ref:846698)   #3
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think both Elden and Saracen made the odd S2000, possibly the same design, maybe even the same car. As with most of their Single seaters, the sportscar never went very well.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:847511)   #4
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the Mk23 Sports 2000.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:39 (Ref:848094)   #5
HH Tech
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
HH Tech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello
There is a MK20 -77 ex Rick Morris car for sale
picture at
http://www.regson.se/images/bil/fford/p1010013.jpg

Henrik
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:10 (Ref:848123)   #6
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did the S2000 car above ever race, how did it go, who drove ??
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:56 (Ref:848160)   #7
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Saracen 77F (or Mk 21) has been hillclimbing for years. It was originally owned by John Corbyn who then based his Jedi Single Seaters on it. The car won the Midland Hillclimb Championship in 1985. It then passed through many hands until it ended up for sale by Martin Cowell. I believe he sold it to someone who is planning on taking it back to the circuits in the Historic FF200. The picture attached was the car in its final hillclimb guise at Prescott.
Attached Thumbnails
saracen.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2004, 13:00 (Ref:848163)   #8
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look here, you can find more information on the 4 cars built but nothing on racing history or results: http://www.eldenracingcars.co.uk/pages/Mk23.htm
Old 23 Jan 2004, 16:30 (Ref:848400)   #9
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HH Tech's photo is one well turned out car! Not seen an Elden look that good for a long time!
Old 29 Dec 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1801436)   #10
Sailbad
Rookie

Sailbad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the MK 21's was mine, and I think the only customer car. Rick Morris borrowed it for the Boxing Day Race at Brands and stuck it on pole. I sold it in '78 and completely lost track of it after that. Brian Hampshire is still around and would be resourceful in providing history.

Peter Lloyd
Old 20 Mar 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3382243)   #11
racinglad
Rookie

racinglad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saracen FF1600

I bought a Saracen FF1600 from Brian and Alan Weller. It was supposed to be run as a semi works car, I think it was the first customer car that they sold. but as they never had any money, got no help. I ran it for 2 seasons. It was orange in colour. I lived in Chiswick, and sold it to a young guy in the Crystal Palace area. He was planning to race it, but never saw it on the circuits again! Peter Lloyds car was being built at the same time.

Nicholas Pearce
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3382280)   #12
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinglad View Post
I bought a Saracen FF1600 from Brian and Alan Weller. It was supposed to be run as a semi works car, I think it was the first customer car that they sold. but as they never had any money, got no help. I ran it for 2 seasons. It was orange in colour. I lived in Chiswick, and sold it to a young guy in the Crystal Palace area. He was planning to race it, but never saw it on the circuits again! Peter Lloyds car was being built at the same time.

Nicholas Pearce
I can remember your orange car. Would that be around 1977?

Just googled Saracen FF1600 and found one for sale.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...0_ff_1600.html
Old 18 Oct 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3774765)   #13
Argojm16
Rookie

Argojm16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saracen FC 1977

Hello this is James and John Blackwell. We supplied the John Robinson prepared BDJ Cosworth with Lucas injection for the Saracen MK22 built as a Formula Continental for Jim Muntz in Seattle WA. USA. The car was delivered in April 1978 after some delay it had special stressed panels and a mk9 five speed and brakes specific to the class. Mr. Muntz also took delivery of a Red Formula Ford at the same time it was sold to someone in California and was burned up when it went off track at Sears point raceway and the exhaust caught the car on fire in tall grass, my understanding it was a total loss and never repaired.

We ran the Saracen MK22 for two seasons setting track records at Portland International Raceway and winning SCCA Nationals. The car handled well the big problem was afording the BDJ. The car is still in the Northwest of the US and running vintage races's and set up as a Supervee.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3790104)   #14
Doc Knutsen
Rookie

Norway
Halden, Norway
Doc Knutsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argojm16 View Post
Hello this is James and John Blackwell. We supplied the John Robinson prepared BDJ Cosworth with Lucas injection for the Saracen MK22 built as a Formula Continental for Jim Muntz in Seattle WA. USA. The car was delivered in April 1978 after some delay it had special stressed panels and a mk9 five speed and brakes specific to the class. Mr. Muntz also took delivery of a Red Formula Ford at the same time it was sold to someone in California and was burned up when it went off track at Sears point raceway and the exhaust caught the car on fire in tall grass, my understanding it was a total loss and never repaired.

We ran the Saracen MK22 for two seasons setting track records at Portland International Raceway and winning SCCA Nationals. The car handled well the big problem was afording the BDJ. The car is still in the Northwest of the US and running vintage races's and set up as a Supervee.
I have just seen this...and memories pop up! My brother Petter picked up a brand new Saracen FF1600 from the works in 1977, in black with gold pin striping as per the JPS. It looked a million dollars but alas...
The chassis used the Kent engine as a semi-stressed member, and it broke the cast-iron mounting lugs off the engine block when everything was bolted up. Handling was never sorted, Petter could never match his earlier lap times set in an old Merlyn. The car was subsequently sold to Sweden and i saw it advertised for sale as an Historic FF some years ago.