Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Aug 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3760011)   #201
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's a second a lap quicker with lid up!
Need to spin it first to get it to open.
Won class,handicap and drum break classes
Not bad and 11 sec a lap quicker than other 356's
Due to change owners in two weeks
Present owner wants a Speedster or Lotus11
Nice one John. Hope new owner enjoys the car!

On a different note, I made a comment about driving standards in the Masters Sportscars race several post back, after watching the ITV prog. This is an extract from a long email from Ron Maydon, sent to all Masters competitors today....

"Following the recent incidents at the Silverstone Classic event in the FIA Masters Historic Sports Car race, I felt that I needed to write to all our Members concerning the conduct of drivers and teams both on and off the track, which I felt fell to an unacceptably low level at that event. I feel that the Silverstone incidents were a low ebb in Masters’ otherwise excellent history.

I have asked the permanent FIA Steward, John Naylor, to clamp down on all on-track and off-track incidents from now onwards and a new discipline enforcement regime began at the Nurburgring, which the majority of drivers and preparers racing at that event applauded and welcomed as being overdue."

That's sufficient without going into detail. Glad I wasn't the only one unimpressed!
Old 17 Aug 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3760019)   #202
jcdeleted
Rookie

jcdeleted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Nice one John. Hope new owner enjoys the car!

On a different note, I made a comment about driving standards in the Masters Sportscars race several post back, after watching the ITV prog. This is an extract from a long email from Ron Maydon, sent to all Masters competitors today....

"Following the recent incidents at the Silverstone Classic event in the FIA Masters Historic Sports Car race, I felt that I needed to write to all our Members concerning the conduct of drivers and teams both on and off the track, which I felt fell to an unacceptably low level at that event. I feel that the Silverstone incidents were a low ebb in Masters’ otherwise excellent history.

I have asked the permanent FIA Steward, John Naylor, to clamp down on all on-track and off-track incidents from now onwards and a new discipline enforcement regime began at the Nurburgring, which the majority of drivers and preparers racing at that event applauded and welcomed as being overdue."

That's sufficient without going into detail. Glad I wasn't the only one unimpressed!
Mike

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to be impressed by the calm and reasoned manner that you (and Ron Maydon) have commented on / dealt with this issue. Thank you. Jcdeleted
Old 18 Aug 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3760108)   #203
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Ron Maydon is one of good guys and will sort situation.
I watched race as had a major interest in one of cars that turned into a demolition derby.
The bloke in B8 baffled me who dragged his damaged rear bodywork for three laps before coming into pits then wondering why he wasn't allowed to continue disputes having no rear bodywork.
Enough been said about situation at front
Probably all started when they allowed continuation cars or faked ,reengineered jobs etc
If Ron adopted Patrick Peters CER rules that may stop some of the nonsense.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3760123)   #204
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Gareth copying my tricks eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Mike/Zeff....clearly since you did this at LMC, the car thinks it needs to deploy an air brake at every event!!!

Attachment 50308
Old 21 Aug 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3760702)   #205
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eventually got round to getting my vid from Sundays action at the Classic sorted if anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/l_tf3NZsLEA
Old 4 Oct 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3771719)   #206
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Can anyone give me a rough idea of prices for the weekend for this year's event? I've googled the usual sites but that sort of info isn't forthcoming.

I'm a regular at Goodwood but thought I'd have a change next year - the Silverstone meeting seems to offer the racing and paddock (albeit a very crowded paddock - no elitism at Silverstone!) without all the ballyhoo and poseurs, and what I think would be a cheaper cost.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3771752)   #207
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory the 3 day weekend ticket was £99 if you bought it early.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 4 Oct 2017, 21:53 (Ref:3771878)   #208
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats about the right price, if you are a member of a car club there are discounts available too.
You will see much more track time action at Silverstone but you may miss the pedal cars and speeches.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3771995)   #209
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Thats about the right price, if you are a member of a car club there are discounts available too.
You will see much more track time action at Silverstone but you may miss the pedal cars and speeches.
I was thinking along those lines.

I'm a man with permanently rose-tinted specs, and I love Goodwood because it still looks roughly the same as my beloved 50s/60s, but if it's racing I'm after, then it might as well be a whole lot cheaper. Plus I bet the local accomodation is better value than West Sussex.

Maybe my purse can stretch to both.............
Old 6 Oct 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3772312)   #210
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enter as a competitor..it's cheaper.
No really, an old pal was demonstrating historic karts year before last and got the full competitor ticket package including car pass for £35!
Old 7 Oct 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3772431)   #211
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal Bloke View Post
Enter as a competitor..it's cheaper.
No really, an old pal was demonstrating historic karts year before last and got the full competitor ticket package including car pass for £35!
I haven't got a competition licence, and I'm 67 so I think I'm past it now!

But that is a bargain.
Old 7 Oct 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3772455)   #212
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I was thinking along those lines.

I'm a man with permanently rose-tinted specs, and I love Goodwood because it still looks roughly the same as my beloved 50s/60s, but if it's racing I'm after, then it might as well be a whole lot cheaper. Plus I bet the local accomodation is better value than West Sussex.

Maybe my purse can stretch to both.............
If you want to watch the racing then Goodwood is far better. Silverstone is a particularly poor venue to actually watch cars racing - too far from trackside, fencing ruining view etc.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 9 Oct 2017, 06:04 (Ref:3773145)   #213
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I haven't got a competition licence, and I'm 67 so I think I'm past it now!

But that is a bargain.
Historic karts run outside the MSA and don't need a licence. They do of course require the ability to push, run and jump aboard! But TBH your age matches the profile of most Historic karters so you'll fit in and there's bound to be a pusher on hand!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Oct 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3773151)   #214
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
If you want to watch the racing then Goodwood is far better. Silverstone is a particularly poor venue to actually watch cars racing - too far from trackside, fencing ruining view etc.
And if you want to avoid braying hoorays and saddoes in tragic fancy dress then Silverstone is the place . Or Cadwell- it's better than either .
Old 9 Oct 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3773178)   #215
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
And if you want to avoid braying hoorays and saddoes in tragic fancy dress then Silverstone is the place . Or Cadwell- it's better than either .
Don't! Just don't!

I am retired and living on very limited funds. My attendance at any of these events requires flying from Ireland, renting a car plus accomodation for the weekend. Goodwood costs me about £800 including grandstand (my old legs and inclement weather). I have to give careful consideration to such matters, otherwise there'll be nowt in the pot for my cremation and disposal.

Cadwell Park - I'd forgotten about that. Mini Nurburgring and all that. Mmmmm..??? This is all going to need a bit of thought, but meanwhile thank you gentlemen for your interesting suggestions.

(PS I haven't been to Silverstone since a BTCC meeting where I watched the Brundle/Moss Audi combo. That's how long ago, but I recall the action was some distance from the standing area - at least Goodwood affords a decent proximity to the racing,)
Old 14 Oct 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3774226)   #216
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, sum info about next years even already starting to surface. Early Bird tickets go on sale on Monday 16th October and those are being held at the same as 2017 Early Bird prices, so £99 for all 3 days is not a bad deal i think.

Also, and not a great surprise after this years poor show, the Group C will not be returning in 2018, their slot has now been taking by the newly formed Masters Endurance Legends series.

Hopefully they will return in 2019 but looking at the general downward look of the series this year I'm not holding my breath. Anyway here's the official link for the news:

https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/n...ic-next-monday
Old 16 Oct 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3774433)   #217
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Don't! Just don't!

Cadwell Park - I'd forgotten about that. Mini Nurburgring and all that. Mmmmm..??? This is all going to need a bit of thought, but meanwhile thank you gentlemen for your interesting suggestions.

(PS I haven't been to Silverstone since a BTCC meeting where I watched the Brundle/Moss Audi combo. That's how long ago, but I recall the action was some distance from the standing area - at least Goodwood affords a decent proximity to the racing,)

Silverstone - you would no longer recognise it ; if you are lucky the cars are in the same post code as you. Cadwell- the HSCC Wolds Trophy in June is a gem. You can park next to the track and the cars are just feet away. No 1200 car entries like the Classic, but one of my annual highlights nevertheless . Tickets are about twenty odd quid for a weekend but if your funds are short there are plenty of people on here who may be able to help with a free pass.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3774443)   #218
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Silverstone - you would no longer recognise it ; if you are lucky the cars are in the same post code as you. Cadwell- the HSCC Wolds Trophy in June is a gem. You can park next to the track and the cars are just feet away. No 1200 car entries like the Classic, but one of my annual highlights nevertheless . Tickets are about twenty odd quid for a weekend but if your funds are short there are plenty of people on here who may be able to help with a free pass.
Thankfully funds aren't all that tight, it's just that the Revival is SO expensive when compared to other meetings. I like the idea of Cadwell.

My daughter and her partner have professed interest in attending Goodwood next year, more for the poseur aspect which is rather distressing. Thus I might have to go with the flow. My brother is moving from Norwich to Wantage next month, so free accomodation might be available provided I don't mind getting up at about 6am to get there!

I must make a decision soon. Thanking everyone once again for positive and helpful comments.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3774487)   #219
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thankfully funds aren't all that tight, it's just that the Revival is SO expensive when compared to other meetings. I like the idea of Cadwell.

My daughter and her partner have professed interest in attending Goodwood next year, more for the poseur aspect which is rather distressing. Thus I might have to go with the flow. My brother is moving from Norwich to Wantage next month, so free accomodation might be available provided I don't mind getting up at about 6am to get there!

I must make a decision soon. Thanking everyone once again for positive and helpful comments.
I agree with Coppice about the Cadwell meeting - you can't go far wrong there with any historic meeting (the annual VSCC event is my favourite).

Regarding the Goodwood 'show aspects' - I wouldn't let that put you off. You can leave your daughter etc to look around the various displays / stands etc whilst you wander around the back of the circuit which is untouched by all of the 'razzmatazz' - just simple, low down old-fashioned wooden fencing with excellent viewing. I tend to spend my time walking / watching from those areas - there's also a handy free tractor / trailer transport system to get around if the walking is too much.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3774495)   #220
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whoops wrong thread - sorry!
Old 17 Oct 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3774706)   #221
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3 day passes, infield car pass and camping for the Classic '18 booked, helps having a friend who's a member of a car club with the 2 for 1 deal.