Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Mar 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3807418)   #526
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two manufacturers already interested in TCR in Australia:

Hyundai and Audi keen on TCR in Oz
Old 12 Mar 2018, 00:59 (Ref:3807432)   #527
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the price Audi are charging for the RS3 TCR, I would be too...

And the i30N isn't homologated yet, but they are probably the first manufacturer I would want to dive in.

It would be GREAT if we got some of these manufacturers into a series.

Could TCR be the next thing for Australia?
Old 12 Mar 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3807435)   #528
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The principles of the series (multi manufacturers/raced all around the world) made me think that it was the answer. But Ive watched some races on YouTube...havent been overwhelmed by them if I'm honest. Maybe we'd do the series better over here if it was our premier category?
Old 12 Mar 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3807436)   #529
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just for a look-see, I had a look at a couple of races on youtube, did not make it past lap 2. Processional, low speed bunch of droning buzzboxes. Looked more like peak hour on the Sydney harbour bridge. Hyundai Excel series has more action than this lot.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 01:44 (Ref:3807438)   #530
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny TCR ticks a lot of boxes (more than the current regs in some ways) yet it's almost universally agreed it wouldn't work here.

Maybe if we can cut off our dependence on manufacturer involvment we would see that we have the best tin top series in the world regardless and changing the rules too much would do more damage than the loss of Nissan or Ford
Old 12 Mar 2018, 01:56 (Ref:3807439)   #531
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Funny TCR ticks a lot of boxes (more than the current regs in some ways) yet it's almost universally agreed it wouldn't work here.
Thats a crying shame when you look at how many manufacturers are involved compared to Supercars. Like it or not TCR is here to stay. I can see it having a similar lifespan to GT3 which is on its 13th year now. That said I cannot see it taking off here in Australia for a number of reasons, most of which have already been stated.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3807440)   #532
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's down to the perception of the masses, and what they expect.

I reckon if you asked most people in Australia what springs to mind when they think of motorsport, it'll be F1 or Supercars. Ask them what they think, when they hear about (V8)Supercars, it'll be "Ford Vs Holden", "Big V8s", "Got one just like it in me shed", etc.

I'd probably give TCR more than just 2 laps of viewing. Cold climates, tyre temps, etc...
Old 12 Mar 2018, 02:31 (Ref:3807442)   #533
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been watching it on and off for a couple of years, they are slow, and inline 4s basically can't really sound good....
Old 12 Mar 2018, 03:18 (Ref:3807448)   #534
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
TCR would make a good support category to Supercars
Old 12 Mar 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3807455)   #535
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
inline 4s basically can't really sound good....
...though there are some notable exceptions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5BOagJ09Q

Old 12 Mar 2018, 05:31 (Ref:3807458)   #536
Mixer
Veteran

Turbo ruins it as f1 found....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Mar 2018, 05:58 (Ref:3807465)   #537
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turbo is both an intake restriction and a muffler. Hard to compare with the symphony a highly-strung NA motor can make, regardless of cylinders.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 19:51 (Ref:3807561)   #538
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Two manufacturers already interested in TCR in Australia:

Hyundai and Audi keen on TCR in Oz
Superb!
Old 12 Mar 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3807562)   #539
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Ask them what they think, when they hear about (V8)Supercars, it'll be "Ford Vs Holden", "Big V8s", "Got one just like it in me shed", etc.
You are out of touch, that's the past. Supercars refuse to break from old timers with this mindset, and that is why they are in so much trouble.

Supercars are still banking on Ford and Holden -- who have both tumbled down the sales charts, and Falcon and Commodore V8 models --- which are both out of production. This is a problem, and Supercars needs to modernise somehow...
Old 12 Mar 2018, 19:54 (Ref:3807563)   #540
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Turbo is both an intake restriction and a muffler. Hard to compare with the symphony a highly-strung NA motor can make, regardless of cylinders.
Agree wholeheartedly! But turbos, sadly, are the future. I have to say the Indycar V6 turbos sound quite OK (much better than F1)... and actually the Sierra Cossies sounded pretty nice too.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3807565)   #541
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
...though there are some notable exceptions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5BOagJ09Q

I agree: the notion inline 4s sound bad is preposterous. An inline 4 (say a Cosworth FVB) is just half a V8 (say a Cosworth DFV).
Old 12 Mar 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3807566)   #542
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
TCR would make a good support category to Supercars
Yep, for the transition period it would be nice
Old 12 Mar 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3807575)   #543
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Harder. View Post
Yep, for the transition period it would be nice
Really! you want to see a category that slower than TCM as your main category? Cant see that being very popular
Old 12 Mar 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3807593)   #544
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Really! you want to see a category that slower than TCM as your main category? Cant see that being very popular
Speed isn't as important as the quality of racing in my eyes. And as I said before, I'm yet to find a riveting TCR race.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3807596)   #545
Mixer
Veteran

The TCR cars are nearly as expensive as MARC cars but nowhere near as safe, repairable, fast or pleasant on the ears.

It is possibly a way to get manufacturers in but if the euro experience is anything they will just sell cars, not fund cars. The price they are charging seems to show that this is a very profitable endeavor.

These things are the MARC vehicles are possibilities but they are already getting too expensive.

Hell if you compare Supercar to TCR, the TCR is not good value, and the comparison is worse against a MARC or an NZV8 like design, which is faster, safer, and much more repairable.

If we end up going TCR in some way, it is like back to the future, it is like Group A & Super Touring had a baby.

I just hope the costs can be kept in check, Audi's offering is already seemingly 50% more expensive than the others.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 22:53 (Ref:3807597)   #546
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Speed isn't as important as the quality of racing in my eyes. And as I said before, I'm yet to find a riveting TCR race.
To an extent i agree, Its why people find much slower categories interesting, Its why superUtes has the potential to be interesting and utes were

But if a category is going to be the premier tin top category in the land then it has to be one of the fastest and with multiple other categories in Australia that will be quicker then TCR cannot be the premier category.

highly doubtful fans will pay $300 for a grandstand ticket at our major events to watch TCR, thus all our major events will be no more
Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:42 (Ref:3807605)   #547
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
I just hope the costs can be kept in check, Audi's offering is already seemingly 50% more expensive than the others.
If Audi could show me that their aftersales service is at least 50% better than the competition, I'd buy one.

The proof in the pudding, is that there is usually more Audis in most TCR-eligible grids, than anything else. And they've only been out not even 18 months.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3807606)   #548
Mixer
Veteran

More Golfz you mean?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:55 (Ref:3807609)   #549
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
highly doubtful fans will pay $300 for a grandstand ticket at our major events to watch TCR, thus all our major events will be no more
What do they turn up for though? The names, drivers and racing? Or is it Robbie Williams.

I think you are placing to much value on a lap time to get people to attend an event

Last edited by D.R.T.; 13 Mar 2018 at 00:03.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:11 (Ref:3807612)   #550
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Hell if you compare Supercar to TCR, the TCR is not good value, and the comparison is worse against a MARC or an NZV8 like design, which is faster, safer, and much more repairable.
The problem with MARC and NZV8 is they are still generic spaceframe cars just like COTFs. You can't attract manufacturers with generic spaceframe cars.

Quote:
If we end up going TCR in some way, it is like back to the future, it is like Group A & Super Touring had a baby.

1. Yes that's the appeal.

2. So you don't buy the Audi, you buy the more reasonably priced JAS Motorsport Civic Type R!