Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Oct 2004, 07:44 (Ref:1127080)   #1
hooked
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
hooked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early request for attendee help

Hope this is the correct thread. Can't add any tech details etc., early request for 2005 advice. No sob story but I need to get to next year on a very tight budget and with no driving licence. This year was first at 55 yrs old. Went with mainly, great group of enthusiasts. Cost more than I could afford. Is there a budget way of doing Le Mans. I have tent etc. Can't quite live off land, but willing to try. Must arrive before Thurs night practice. Are there any car / ferry share schemes?. How do I buy track tickets, ((all pre - done last year by person I have lost contact with, ( maybe it was me going back and forth to the track past his tent for 72 hours and tripping over his guy ropes.)). Anyway, advice I have found for 2004 was for "regular" attendees. If anyone can point me to alternative sites / forums I will be forever in their debt!!!!!!!
Old 18 Oct 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1127178)   #2
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"If anyone can point me to alternative sites / forums I will be forever in their debt!!!!!!! "

try http://www.clubarnage.com/yabbse/index.php there's a lot of Brit camping experience on the forums there.
And remember, forever is a very long time.
H
Old 18 Oct 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1127249)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can buy entrance tickets on the gate. Closer to the time if you put a "Lift to LM Wanted" note on here and the Club Arnage forums then I'm sure someone local to you could give you a lift. As you are in Sussex you could even meet people at one of the ferry ports.

As you won't be taking your own car then you won't need a camping pass.

Food and drink can be bought at supermarche prices from the local Carrefour. So you have every chance of doing a budget trip.

If all else fails, you can always get the train. (Eurostar to Paris, TGV to Le Mans).
Old 18 Oct 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1127298)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plenty of newbie stuff around hooked, whether at Club Arnage or a myriad of smaller sites.......

I've altered the title of your thread slightly so that it might attract others who have (or need) info.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1127363)   #5
hooked
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Ta., already, especially Aysedasi. I know I will get there. It sounds stupid, but even this weekend watching UK C4 Audi prog, and ALMS live coverage, plus disappointing highlights UK Sunday pm, on Motors TV, I must get to LM24h and probably Silverstone LMES next year. Thanks to you all
Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1127369)   #6
hooked
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Bigh
Looking through and agreeing with previous messages..FOREVER IS JUNE TO JUNE
Old 18 Oct 2004, 17:20 (Ref:1127469)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its in the blood hooked, without a doubt.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1128073)   #8
Mark Barton
Rookie

Mark Barton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The train is fairly economical for a budget trip if you can't hitch a lift. I've done it myself, and would recommend it. Word of advice though - if you camp outside of the official camping areas leave absolutely nothing in your tent. It will go. In fact, better not to even leave the tent. When we got back to ours on Sunday night in '99 there was just a dry patch left where it had been!
Old 19 Oct 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1128169)   #9
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Barton
The train is fairly economical for a budget trip if you can't hitch a lift. I've done it myself, and would recommend it.
Train can be expensive if you travel during "traffic hours"; take care of it .
Old 19 Oct 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1128215)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we did the eurotunnel waterloo/lille/le mans this year - arriving thursday, departing monday morning...not much over £100 if i recall rightly.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:07 (Ref:1128413)   #11
Mark Barton
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
we did the eurotunnel waterloo/lille/le mans this year - arriving thursday, departing monday morning...not much over £100 if i recall rightly.
I changed at Paris in '99, and paid £90 return. You're right though pounet, you do have to pick your times.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:55 (Ref:1128467)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
That sounds good, may do that next year. Me and my group have been for the last 2 years, but lack of enough transport, plus living in different parts of the country meant we've always gone on a weekend coach trip. We have considered the train though, will have to book earlier this time
Old 19 Oct 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1128705)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Barton
I changed at Paris in '99, and paid £90 return. You're right though pounet, you do have to pick your times.
the train there left waterloo around 9.30am, and got us to le mans around 3.30pm. picked up hire car and did final qualifying session. train back was at around 7.30am on monday morning...a bit of a chore but i was back in london by mid-day and sat in a cafe in lille station with tiff needell...admittedly he was at a different table mind!
Old 19 Oct 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1128729)   #14
Mark Barton
Rookie

Well a table near Tiff is still a brush with celebrity

I can't remember my exact timings, but I know I left Heathrow, where I lived at the time, at something horrible like 4:30. Got there good and early though!
Old 21 Oct 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1131179)   #15
BillandLara
Racer

BillandLara should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Well a table near Tiff is still a brush with celebrity "

Can't let that go without a:
Tiff Needell SIGNED my armchair!
After he used our camp to film the "Camping!" intro sequence for this year's Speed Sunday item on mad Brits camping.... He walked into shot towards us while we were munching our "giantlemansburgerandkebabs" in the evening. I was sitting in my England inflatable armchair and he signed it just after.

Bill
Old 22 Oct 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1132450)   #16
jpchenet
Rookie

jpchenet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hooked, a major question here is what do you call expensive??

Our group pay about £300 each. That is for: Petrol, Ferry, Entrance, Camping, one in three share of Grandstand Seat, All Food and Drink at the port, on the ferry and at the campsite (and we do eat and drink VERY well!!) plus a la carte meal with wine on the ferry back.

We travel from Hampshire so if you need assistance let us know!!
Old 24 Oct 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1133707)   #17
Mark Barton
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by BillandLara
"Well a table near Tiff is still a brush with celebrity "

Can't let that go without a:
Tiff Needell SIGNED my armchair!
After he used our camp to film the "Camping!" intro sequence for this year's Speed Sunday item on mad Brits camping.... He walked into shot towards us while we were munching our "giantlemansburgerandkebabs" in the evening. I was sitting in my England inflatable armchair and he signed it just after.

Bill
Nice one Bill!