Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3228650)   #201
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Persuaded him at last - here's half a dozen to get the flavour of the on-track action
Attached Thumbnails
LittleNLarge.JPG   MikeB1.JPG   Robyn1.JPG  

Tiff2.JPG   TiffT-edoff.JPG   Saloons1.JPG  

Old 3 Apr 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3228652)   #202
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A year ago they flattened the curbs on the chicane to accommodate bikes otherwise I think the track is still the same. The track surface will have changed but it might not have affected the lap times and I was told the bump at Church is not so bad now, but I am not sure if this is so. Even I am not that old, or is it my memory has gone.

It is still a great track to race on and judging by the posts, all the competitors from last weekend also think so.
Hopefully it will be on next years calender.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3228658)   #203
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Persuaded him at last - here's half a dozen to get the flavour of the on-track action
Nice pics young Alex! Especially the Imps. And good to see one of me with cars behind- must have been in qualifying. I'll go and read the words now.

Old 3 Apr 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3228662)   #204
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD.T View Post
A year ago they flattened the curbs on the chicane to accommodate bikes otherwise I think the track is still the same.
I remember Pat saying that on one or two kerbs had been 'filled in' for the bikes but couldn't remember which ones!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3228681)   #205
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Best pic is 130331.At this point He asked me what type of cars these are. Historic FF2000 I replyed. I reminded him that he comentated on the BBC grandstand championship back in the 80's on them.Good old Murry.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3228729)   #206
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great day's racing last Saturday, great to see such a wonderful mix of vehicles on the circuit. F2 race in particular was a great to watch.
Unfortunately I couldn't attend on Sunday due to a prior engagement at Brands Hatch but thanks to everyone involved for a nostalgic reminder of some real racing.
Bl...dy freezing down at the complex all day but wonderful viewing, one small gripe regarding a previous post quote Racing both days -Saturday £6 in advance/£8 on the day. Sunday £9 in advance/£12 on the day. Grandstand free on Saturday and £5 Sunday unquote, Saturday entry was £12 and the grandstand was not free - assuming this post was from an official source I shall be looking forward to a refund!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3228738)   #207
vector-pat
Rookie

England
Newbury, Berks
vector-pat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everyone that attended the Thruxton Easter Revival at the weekend. It doesn't matter if you were a spectator, competitor, marshal or official (or even work there) - without you the meeting wouldn't have been the same. Lets hope for an even bigger and better 2014. BTW - we managed to raise over £140 for Hants & IOW Air Ambulance on Friday afternoon . Well done Tiff, it was great to see your race but even better to see how much a podium meant to you.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3228759)   #208
Sparky135
Rookie

England
Sparky135 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd just like to say a big thank you to the HSCC - organisers and competitors - for putting on a great show over the weekend. Everything seemed to run smoothly and the racing was great to watch.

This was my first event as a marshal (post 10) and it was certainly a memorable weekend for all the right reasons. I'll definitely be volunteering as a marshal at more HSCC events in the coming months and years.

Hope that this event becomes a regular fixture on the calendar at Thruxton.

Many thanks to all involved.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3228823)   #209
Mercia49
Rookie

Mercia49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sharples View Post
I've just been sent these comparisons. I haven't checked them but they make interesting reading and makes one wonder about the impact of modern tyres, dampers etc

Quali - N. Fleming RT1 -10.52 (120 mph)
Race 1 - N Fleming RT1 -10.37
Race 2 - A. Smith 742 - 9.50 (122 mph)

Quali - Rindt Lotus 59 - 13.2
Race - Rindt 14.0
Quali - Stewart BT30 - 13.6
Race - Rindt Lotus 69 - 14.0
Quali - Peterson 712 - 13.4
Race - Peterson - 13.4
Quali - Reutemann BT38 - 12.6
Race - Peterson 722 - 11.6
Quali - Depailler Elf2 - 11.0
Race - Coulon 732 - 11.2
Quali - Stuck 742 - 25.8
Race - Stuck - 25.8
Quali - Laffite Martini MK16 - 10.1
Race - Henton 752 & Laffite - 11.0
Qual - Flammini 762 - 10.22
Race - Flammini - 10.73
Qual - Ribeiro 772P - 8.87
Race - Henton Boxer PR276 - 10.67
Qual - Giacomelli 782 - 9.13
Race - Giacomelli - 10.86
Couldn't resist being a pedant. There was no race in 1974, the Stuck figures are from Barcelona.

And for completeness the 68 figures are;

Qual - Rindt BT23c 15.6
Race - Rindt - 16.0
Old 4 Apr 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3229077)   #210
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Only one thing missing Pat and that was you driving a race car.
There was me thinking I had messed up the E Type suspension set up. Just lifted her up on the ramp and broken front ARB mount.found.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3229099)   #211
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
I totally agree with what you say, Race Control was not at fault and the first few cars immediately slowed down it was those further down that either didn't, so that is why I say, as the Blue Book says Immediately cease driving at racing speed
It is there for a reason. What I can't say. is I don't know how far the Red Flags would have gone around the track by then, but the Red Flag at post 22 was out for around 20 secs before this unfortunate incident occurred. It is just perhaps a reminder to all of us that All Flags Should Be Obeyed.

Bladders
Maybe it's time for more lights around the circuit, rather like Silverstone.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 13:58 (Ref:3229114)   #212
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector-pat View Post
Thanks to everyone that attended the Thruxton Easter Revival at the weekend. It doesn't matter if you were a spectator, competitor, marshal or official (or even work there) - without you the meeting wouldn't have been the same. Lets hope for an even bigger and better 2014. BTW - we managed to raise over £140 for Hants & IOW Air Ambulance on Friday afternoon . Well done Tiff, it was great to see your race but even better to see how much a podium meant to you.
Pat thanks for taking me round late on Friday, I tried to remember everything you said but thankfully realized it is physically impossible to left foot brake in my Merlyn!

Good to see the Andover Ad has a big piece on local lad Tiff getting a podium
Old 4 Apr 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3229130)   #213
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
There was me thinking I had messed up the E Type suspension set up. Just lifted her up on the ramp and broken front ARB mount.found.
Hmm. But Colin said a few pages back ...

"Although we made up a few places in the race I'm sure if he was on form we'd have done much better as the car is feeling very good now. A bit of vibration at high speed (possibly prop shaft) but we were pretty much on the red line all the way from Church to the chicane so maybe to be expected."

Are you sure you want to fix it ....?

Old 4 Apr 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3229314)   #214
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I didn't say was that shortly before I handed over to Iain I was starting to find it more of a handful. Earlier in the day it had been fine. Prop has gone off to be sorted out.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3229327)   #215
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
What I didn't say was that shortly before I handed over to Iain I was starting to find it more of a handful. Earlier in the day it had been fine. Prop has gone off to be sorted out.
Ah! So. You broke it Colin?

(What some people will do to slow their team mates down ....)

Could the broken mount have been contributory to the vibration?

Puts me in mind of a story my mother used to tell (a lot ...) about her younger sister.

During the war they were both in the WRAF and both posted to an airfield in the middle of Shropshire. A night out meant a trip to the nearest town some miles away and walking or cycling were the only ready options to get there and back.

The younger sister found cycling to be difficult and was always falling off. Eventually she had a big moment and crashed heavily into a ditch, bending the frame in some way. Fork mount from memory.

Anyway, they dragged her out of the ditch, attempted to straighten a slightly buckled wheel and she got back on to complete the journey at which point she found she could ride the 'modified' bike perfectly and never had a problem with that one again.

I suppose it is possible that the accident 'fixed' a problem with the rider but the reports I remember suggest the fix only worked for that one bike.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3229451)   #216
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Thruxton note I was very disappointed to have to withdraw my formula ford, looks like I missed an exciting race!

The accident at Goodwood that Rudolf is referring to was actually caused by a BRM P25 that was very slow to pull away.

The Cooper I was in on the front row failed to leave the line on the green flag lap.

Regards,

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
I cant comment on the Thruxton incident as I have not seen it and was not involved in it.

But I can describe something that I was involved in and the description might be useful.

There was a huge pile up at Goodwood last year in the Gordon Trophy GP car race at the start because a Cooper in the front row damaged his driveshaft.
You could say that a stalled car on the front row was inevitable to cause an accident, these things happen.....
It actually caused 2 seperate accidents, left and right on the track. I had started mid grid because I was running a 1,5 litre car in a grid with 2,5 litre cars.
By the time I reached the startline I could see a Lotus 18 actually driving off the track with a Lotus 16 riding piggyback on the rollover hoop (will never forget that sight) and the some more cars stranded on the grid.
I immediately back off carefully not collect somebody by doing this as I was sure this would be red flagged. I mean there was no way that the CoC would send a pack of GP cars through this at racing speed quite apart from the possible danger to the spectators close to the track with no debris fencing to protect them.
I get overtaken by some drivers (slow on the uptake in my opinion) but never mind others slow like me......
Imagine my surprise to find out later that the driver who overtook driving at full tilt through the carnage later on the same lap manages to crash and damage his his car presumably driving alone on a half empty track....
Race was of course red flagged by the time we were at Fordwater.

Some people seem to have no perception at all how safety (for marshalls, drivers and spectators, in no particular order) in racing works nowadays, others do

again, not reflection on what happened at Thruxton, but take a moment to think what You would have done...

Rudolf
Old 5 Apr 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3229468)   #217
Patrick Sumner
Rookie

Patrick Sumner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I recall 1975 as being the first 120mph lap of the circuit. I was there.
If I may beg to differ on that, at the May 1974 F5000 meeting Derek Bell qualified with a 1.10.6 driving the Hobbs Hogan Lola, a smidgeon over 120mph. Whether it was the first 120+ I don't know, but what I do know is that I waved him through prior to Church, where the bump was far worse than today, and the car left the ground and he gathered it up on the exit and was halfway up Woodham Hill before I was out of Church. I realised then that I had a mountain with a vertical face to climb! I thought it was a stonking lap time.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 12:21 (Ref:3229493)   #218
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sumner View Post
If I may beg to differ on that, at the May 1974 F5000 meeting Derek Bell qualified with a 1.10.6 driving the Hobbs Hogan Lola, a smidgeon over 120mph. Whether it was the first 120+ I don't know, but what I do know is that I waved him through prior to Church, where the bump was far worse than today, and the car left the ground and he gathered it up on the exit and was halfway up Woodham Hill before I was out of Church. I realised then that I had a mountain with a vertical face to climb! I thought it was a stonking lap time.
Suddenly it seems academic when the first 120mph lap occurred, as reading the above is far more interesting. If you have more reminiscences like that Patrick, then please post more often!

Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:33 (Ref:3229585)   #219
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
OK found my very first race result from Thruxton 1977 Modsports GT6. Put it like this I was quicker in Colin's E Type.I was telling Murry walker about my 1st time drivers briefing from Sidney Offord. "RIP". Later on I learned the more hardened drivers called him Sod Off ord. I was pretty nervious about going too see him for the 1st time. Any way knocked on the door he just said "welcome dear boy" pressed a button on this old tape recorder and shot off out of the room.Well I did listen for a few minuits then thought " what a load of old cods wallop".
Old 5 Apr 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3229615)   #220
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how some things never change.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3229622)   #221
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the driver of said Alfa in the start line incident I feel I should say something but am not going to comment massivly because I will be talking to the HSCC about what happened.

Fact, I can assure everyone that I don't ignore marshals flag signals.

Fact, as can be seen on Andrew's video, all the drivers further down the field saw was Neil's car stationary at the side of the track on it's wheels, why would we think a red flag was going to be deployed?

Fact, the red flag visable infront of the grandstand is all but lost against the backround on what was a very misreble day.

Fact, I would not knowingly drive under full acceleration into a pack of stationary cars.

Fact, like most drivers, I don't have an endless budget to repair our very valuble cars. I would not risk damaging the car in a 'do or die' move to gain a corner.

Fact, the exit of 'club' is blind when you are only a foot or so behind the car in front.

Facts over now.

I would support whatever ideas are put forward to improve the visability of either flags or lights at 'club.

I will not be making any other comments on this forum about the incident
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3230301)   #222
HornetV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bare, but born and bred in Birmingham
HornetV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well its the weekend and I've finally had a moment to upload my photos from last week

My first attempt at motorsport photos so they are a bit naff, the ones I took on Sunday are the least naff of them all but all feedback welcome all the same, had to edit my FF2000 shots as they somehow came out under exposed and I wasn't just going to bin them

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintage...7633163563127/

Great weekend, look forward to Cadwell Park followed by Donnington
Old 7 Apr 2013, 16:03 (Ref:3230432)   #223
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apologies for the delay - lack of to time and too many distractions - but here's my thoughts on the weekend.

After a quite a few years I decided to rejoin the HSCC and shake the dust off my wonderful Lancia Fulvia Zagato in 70's Roadsports, the main reason being that its the 50th anniversary of the Lancia Fulvia so it seems only right to get the fellow out for 2 or 3 races.

With Jason as support crew driving our motorhome I drove the Fulvia to Thruxton and totally forgot what a stir it causes on the roads. People are constantly pointing and gesticulating at it and it took me a few moments to remember that no, nothing had fallen off the car it was merely people's enthusiasm.

Anyway, signing on and scrutineering went very smoothly and it was good to see a few familiar faces. A cold night but our motorhome was snug and 2 duvets helped! We were first practice (I see nothing changes for 70's, more often than not first or last mainly due to "non-racing" engines but I digress) and I left Jason warming up the car while I went for the briefing. Came back to silence - well not quite, I could hear Jason's internal screams. The Fulvia was not happy and as usual for a car with an enormous personality he was making this known. I heard our practice start and we were still struggling. However after a few tricks, the car fired and I made the last 10 mins of practice. Hurrah! Or was it... on my out lap I thought I'd joined the wrong practice - the cars were so fast! Thankfully I found my speed and managed to keep some Alfa's in view so figured maybe the world hadn't gone completely mad!

Not last on the grid was a welcome surprise and being on the grid next to a gorgeous Masa Bora a thrill. Sadly I realised the car was misfiring on the warm up lap but after dropping to last and then making up a place, I learnt how to eek some time out of the car and despite the misfire I improved my practice time and yet again, didn't come last! Given this is the UK's fastest track and the fact the Fulvia is a little under powered for the weight (over 900kg) it performed really well and the handling is fantastic - people keep sending me photos of the car on 3 wheels through the chicane - brilliant! A bit of rain would have been perfect for it but as it is I was as happy as Larry as I drove the car home.

Great to see a few chaps, sorry we didn't see many more and pleased the HSCC had a great weekend at Thruxton which is fast becoming one of my UK favorites having done well there in both the Aurelia and my baby Fiat in the past.

Next anticipated HSCC in the Fulvia should be Brands GP in July.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3231123)   #224
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post
Apologies for the delay - lack of to time and too many distractions - but here's my thoughts on the weekend.

After a quite a few years I decided to rejoin the HSCC ...

Next anticipated HSCC in the Fulvia should be Brands GP in July.
Welcome back! Sorry I missed you at Thruxton, but will see you Friday, and hopefully Brands in July!