Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Jul 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3748913)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
2017 Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix(IMSA @ Mosport) - July 07-09

IMSA goes North of the Border a week after the 6 hour for a 2 hour, 40 minute contest in Bowmanville Ontario, at the circuit formerly known as Mosport. Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge, and IMSA Prototype Challenge make up the IMSA sanctioned support package.

The race will be broadcast Sunday Live on FS1, starting at 12p EDT.

Essentials:

IMSA Radio

IMSA WSC/CTSCC Spotter Guide

Entry List for WSC(36 cars)

Entry List for CTSCC(33 cars)

Entry list for IMSA Prototype Challenge(20 cars)

Event Schedule(at bottom of page)

Bowmanville, ON Weekend Weather

Event History

Track Layout:

Track Graphics c/o RacingCircuits.info

Last Years Race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F4S1SMztLs
Old 4 Jul 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3748914)   #2
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
" ...formerly known as ..."?

"No longer officially called Mosport ... "

I will call it CTSMPCTC or whatever right after I start calling Conti, CTSCC.

TH for the thread, though ... I would have missed most of the action expecting nothing until Friday.
Old 4 Jul 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3748920)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I quite like the logo on the race poster. That is a slick looking proto!
Old 4 Jul 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3748930)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I need to get purple and wear it for this race. I just have must

Last edited by skycafe; 4 Jul 2017 at 17:48. Reason: I am still on training wheels when it comes to English
Old 4 Jul 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3748933)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
And Matt, you are carrying on fine traditions of great race thread intros! Awesome job dude!
Old 4 Jul 2017, 22:41 (Ref:3748981)   #6
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The promo thing they've been doing in downtown Toronto for the last few years has now apparently been moved to the parking lot of a Canadian Tire store in Bowmanville on Wednesday afternoon.
http://canadiantiremotorsportpark.co...nto-clarington
Old 5 Jul 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3749003)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
And Matt, you are carrying on fine traditions of great race thread intros! Awesome job dude!
Appreciate it. Just trying to fuel the passion for the series that I absolutely love.
Old 5 Jul 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3749020)   #8
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

"No longer officially called Mosport ... "

I will call it CTSMPCTC or whatever right after I start calling Conti, CTSCC.
CNDNTRMTRSPRTPRK
Old 5 Jul 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3749040)   #9
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
CNDNTRMTRSPRTPRK
An awesome race track whatever you want to call it. Had the pleasure of seeing my son win a F2000 race there in 1995 and one day I will visit "Mosport" again.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 01:21 (Ref:3749209)   #10
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The promo thing was today in the parking lot of some big box stores in Bowmanville.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3749284)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
The promo thing was today in the parking lot of some big box stores in Bowmanville.
That Park Place car is just pretty!
Old 6 Jul 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3749285)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Don't expect a repeat performance from the PR1 car this week. They are debuting new drivers

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/al...iasen-at-ctmp/
Old 6 Jul 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3749286)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
go banana boat go
Old 6 Jul 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3749291)   #14
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Don't expect a repeat performance from the PR1 car this week. They are debuting new drivers

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/al...iasen-at-ctmp/
I'll miss Olivier Pla, for sure. That dude is excitement in a Ligier. Joey Guts has been a really pleasant surprise this year, as well.

Ostella might surprise, outside of Tony Burgess, I've always expected Canadians to run well at Mosport. In the junior and club racing scene in Ontario and eastern Canada you wind up getting a lot of laps at CTMP.

On the other hand, I know very little about Nick Boulle.

Chris
Old 6 Jul 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3749296)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I'll miss Olivier Pla, for sure. That dude is excitement in a Ligier. Joey Guts has been a really pleasant surprise this year, as well.

Ostella might surprise, outside of Tony Burgess, I've always expected Canadians to run well at Mosport. In the junior and club racing scene in Ontario and eastern Canada you wind up getting a lot of laps at CTMP.

On the other hand, I know very little about Nick Boulle.

Chris
It is the lack of prototype experience that sends me to the low expectations camp. They both could be great drivers, but with never having raced a machine with this level of down force it is going to be a learning experience. I do wish them the best though and would love to seem them perform their best.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3749315)   #16
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I will be cheering big time for Porsche this week in both GT classes. The GTLM Porsche team needs to close the deal for once. They have underperformed in what is an awesome car. In GTD it seems that the Porsches are falling behind the rest of the competition. Lets see if they can recover at CTMP. I am picking an easy win for the Taylors in DPI.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3749436)   #17
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
ESM because of Brown's back problems already had an all-pro line up in both cars at Watkins Glen, though that was more by force majure than anything else. And guess what? The race still went to crap for them. Granted, this race is 2:45 vs 6 hours, and it was more due to mechanical issues, but ESM still have a lot of bugs to work out. Not to mention that the PR1 Ligier basically almost has an all-am line up.

JDC should hopefully be able to contend based on Watkins Glen if luck and strategy work out, and Mosport should suit the LMP2 cars.

I'm in agreement with most of the improvements that Ron Fellows and his group have made to Mosport after they bought the track from Don Panoz a few years ago, but it's still a track that will scare the hell out of the unweary if you get it wrong. If you think Watkins Glen or even Le Mans is scary, most of the track at Mosport is like the Porsche Curves or WG's Esses, but with less run off room.

If you want to see what Mosport was like in the early days of the ALMS, look at videos that IMSA has been pimping on Facebook and You Tube from 1999 when Panoz got a 1-2 after BMW withdrew citing safety issues with the track, and 2000 with a mixed condition race where an Audi on old rain tires held off a BMW on new slicks on the last lap in what is still one of the closest finishes in ALMS/WTSCS history.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3749462)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
As predicted, PR1 is last in the P class, slower than even the quickest PC car.

http://results.imsa.com/Results/17_2...03_Results.PDF
Old 7 Jul 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3749505)   #19
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I'm in agreement with most of the improvements that Ron Fellows and his group have made to Mosport after they bought the track from Don Panoz a few years ago, but it's still a track that will scare the hell out of the unweary if you get it wrong. If you think Watkins Glen or even Le Mans is scary, most of the track at Mosport is like the Porsche Curves or WG's Esses, but with less run off room.
Plenty of drivers have experienced that in practice already...sounded like quite a destructive day.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 01:57 (Ref:3749517)   #20
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I will be cheering big time for Porsche this week in both GT classes. The GTLM Porsche team needs to close the deal for once. They have underperformed in what is an awesome car. In GTD it seems that the Porsches are falling behind the rest of the competition. Lets see if they can recover at CTMP. I am picking an easy win for the Taylors in DPI.
You picked the right weekend. Porsche looking strong in GTLM. They tested here at Mosport earlier in the year with the new car and Laurens Vanthoor is driving out of his mind right now (because typically Patrick Pilet has been the hot shot in that team). The car is quick and they have topped both practice sessions. They will go for broke in qualy because track position is so critical here. If those Porsche's get out in front, I find it hard to see where anyone can get by them cleanly. They are strong on the brakes and rolling through the corners quicker than anyone else. Has been noticed all year really.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3749587)   #21
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
So, it looks like we have a chance of rain for race day. Who does this advantage? Riley, Porsche? I'll admit I'd be pretty excited to see a wet race from Mosport.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3749608)   #22
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eight cars in a second. It looks good.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3749609)   #23
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
There's races from the wet at Mosport from 2000 and 2001 on You Tube. 2006 also has practice in the wet.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3749610)   #24
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd say Porsche will be in good shape wet or dry.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3749614)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Porsche sounds phenomenal.