Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Apr 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3240798)   #1
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport has lost one of its champions

Sadly, Mick Ronke CEO of Winton Motor Raceway and Secretary of Benalla Auto Club passed away this morning.

Very sad news indeed, best wishes to his 2 sons Matthew and Adam (both of who have been posters on here) and the rest of his family and friends

Mick had done more for motorsport than just about anyone else in Australia and was a huge champion of grass roots motorsport in Australia.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3240805)   #2
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Mick was also instrumental in the formation of AASA, he also instigated the purchase of Wakefield Park in Goulburn NSW on behalf of Benalla Auto Club.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3240814)   #3
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I don't know of him but it's always sad to hear the passing of legends in motorsport. Again, I don't know who he is but I am saddened to hear another legend no longer exists in human form... purely in memory.

R.I.P. Mick
Old 30 Apr 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3240817)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news, for Adam, Matthew & Heather and the motorsport family

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Apr 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3240850)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Very sad news indeed - Mick's been the central figure at Winton as long as I can remember.

A very driven person, he certainly has stood up for various causes and for his club over the years.

RIP Mick and my thoughts with Heather and the boys.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 03:51 (Ref:3240852)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad news condolences to all family.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 05:16 (Ref:3240869)   #7
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
there is some wonderful stuff on speedcafe
Old 30 Apr 2013, 06:10 (Ref:3240871)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tributes flow for Winton boss Mick Ronke

An interesting read. sometimes we learn too much when it is too late.

RIP Michael Ronke . you developed one of the best spectating tracks in the country. Long may it continue
Old 30 Apr 2013, 07:48 (Ref:3240897)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's what I put up on Facebook earlier today remembering many of my FB Friend are heavily involved in Motorsport.

2013 hasn't been a good year for Victorian Motorsport

I've been informed this morning of the passing of Mick Ronke, CEO of Winton Motor Raceway.

Mick has been at the helm of Winton, and Wakefield Park, for many years and I've know him since I started working at race meetings at Winton in late 1985.

Mick was a Telecom Exchange Maintenance Tech in Benalla and I was an Exchange Installation Tech in Melbourne so we had a shared friendly rivalry that existed between Insto's and Mato's that we kept up even long after he left Telecom to take up the CEO post at Winton.

Mick was never shy to ring me if he had a Telecom/Telstra issue he needed dealt with and I remember well the 9am call the day after a Mobile phone issue the Barbagallo V8's that weekend a few years ago "telling me" we're not going to have that problem here in 2 weeks are we Paul. Mind you I'd already arranged with him months earlier to park one of Telstra's Cell on Wheels units next to the Admin building and Mick was only too happy to provide us with a 3 phase power connection for it.

I'll save the story on how Mick and Heather convinced Telstra to add a Mobile Phone base to the Winton Exchange for another day

No one can deny Micks passion for Motorsport or his dedication to the Benalla Auto Club, Winton & Wakefield and god help anyone who ever tried to get one over on him or Winton, even V8Supercar teams and management respected Mick and his passion.

Daryl Mac has commented that some saw Mick as a "Hard B*****d" but those of us who really knew Mick often saw the lighter and softer side of him especially during the tradition post event "Debriefs" in his office at Winton where many a story from the days action and days gone by were shared.

I'll miss Mick, in fact I already am, not just as a friend but as a man who taught so many of us so much over the near 30 years I've know and worked with and for him in our shared obsession called Motorsport.

My sincere condolences to Matt, Adam and the extended Ronke family at this time of loss and please feel comforted in the knowledge that the extended Winton & Wakefield "family" is sharing your grief at this time.

So far this year we've lost;

Pat O'Neill (Winton Safety Team member),
Barry Petersen (Former Chief Flag Marshal & President of the Victorian Flag Marshaling Team),
Norm Drew (co founder of Avalon Raceway)
and now Mick Ronke.
Old 1 May 2013, 04:28 (Ref:3241207)   #10
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one can deny Micks passion for Motorsport or his dedication to the Benalla Auto Club, Winton & Wakefield and god help anyone who ever tried to get one over on him or Winton.

My sincere condolences to Matt, Adam and the extended Ronke family at this time of loss .

I borrowed a few of PVDA.s words.

rip Mick
Old 1 May 2013, 05:14 (Ref:3241216)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
There will be a memorial service at Winton Motor Raceway on Tuesday May 7th at 1.00 pm, it will be held in the Winton Corporate Centre.

There will be a separate private service for family and close friends, no details are available obviously
Old 2 May 2013, 08:06 (Ref:3241627)   #12
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Champions" is not a word I would've thought. However it does seem an apt one. RIP
Old 4 May 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3242881)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
A great sentiment from Kim Jones

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/05/04/...to-mick-ronke/
Old 5 May 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3242963)   #14
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never thought of Mick as a "Hard B*****d". I saw him as a no nonsense type of guy, who was very passionate about what he did. Sad day for Australian Motorsport when we lost Mr Ronke.

R.I.P. Mick Ronke.