Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3696819)   #166
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL
 
Peter Mallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
England
Here and there
Posts: 31,077
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gerard. The Group 1.5 Capris can only run a single weber. It is permitted to run the 48ida on a non standard manifold.

As to brakes. If you check the homologation papers I think you will find that Grenada vented discs and calipers can be fitted.

The tyres for TDT are currently Dunlop Post Historic.
Peter Mallett is offline  
Quote
Old 17 Dec 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3696837)   #167
Gerard C
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
France
Paris area
Posts: 823
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, thanks for the input! If the IDA is fitted I guess it is turned by 90į on the special manifold then as seen on the Belga car in HTC this year. I saw a Capri with the XPack 3 Webers during the Spa race, a gordon Spice replica (Mr Chase Gardener may be?) probably with a Group2 HTP.
I used a 40 DGAV with 28 chokes, then a 40 DFI 5 with 32 chokes (also homologated with 34 chokes but did dare to bore it).
Tanks again for the brake discs, up to now I use Escort discs, vented but plain as far as drilled are not permitted. I'll check very quickly the 5336 form that wrongly I thought to know by heart!
We should be able to find Dunlops down here or better from a UK supplier. They must be better than the ones we used in U2TC.
Gerard C is offline  
Quote
Old 17 Dec 2016, 16:20 (Ref:3696851)   #168
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL
 
Peter Mallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
England
Here and there
Posts: 31,077
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the Post Historics are pretty good, very slideable. However my preference is A048s.
Peter Mallett is offline  
__________________
Nobody told me we had a communication problem!
Quote
Old 17 Dec 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3696861)   #169
Gerard C
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
France
Paris area
Posts: 823
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to have an opinion of a connoisseur. The Capri likes to be driven sideways (less than a Cortina may be). And yes again the A048's a good choice but make the chassis feeling a little bit more "nervous". Considering the wear to efficiency ratio they are worth every Yen.
Gerard C is offline  
Quote
Old 18 Dec 2016, 09:21 (Ref:3696920)   #170
PeterMorley
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
United Kingdom
Belgium
Posts: 749
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
It works for single seaters too....if you can get a V5....which may or may not be too difficult. Is there any reason why, for example, you cant fit wings and lights to a 50s Cooper and road use it? If not, then you can register it, and just never fit the wings and lights to actually use it on the road

Just a thought
In the pre-free movement days of historic racing several UK (& other) single seaters were road registered and could travel around Europe without the need for customs carnets etc.

Is there still a category for daylight use only cars? Such cars didn't need headlights etc. but weren't allowed to drive on the road in darkness, many Bugattis and similar were registered as such.
As for mudguards I think there was some similar flexibility.

Given that most historic racing cars are old enough to be MOT exempt that might also make registering them easier?

Of course that would rely on the UK establishing an arrangement that allows for free movement of road registered vehicles which is highly likely but not certain.
PeterMorley is offline  
__________________
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Quote
Old 18 Dec 2016, 09:50 (Ref:3696922)   #171
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,181
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good to have an opinion of a connoisseur. The Capri likes to be driven sideways (less than a Cortina may be). And yes again the A048's a good choice but make the chassis feeling a little bit more "nervous". Considering the wear to efficiency ratio they are worth every Yen.

The Dunlop 175/5.50x13 is a good fit on a Capri rim, from memory. Escort wheel @ 6" too narrow.

And since we're off topic - in answer to the previous post 'Daylight' MOTs for cars without lights are still obtainable.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 18 Dec 2016 at 15:50. Reason: put correct tyre size!
Mike Bell is online now  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 19 Dec 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3697165)   #172
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,181
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
The Iberian Historic Endurance calendar for 2017 is released. Copied from email received (calendar attachment below text)-

"Itís a pleasure to release our 2017 calendar attached. After an extremely successfully 2016 with an average of 47 entries per weekend and four out of seven races where we had to turn down entries due to full capacity. Quality-wise, we are very proud of the teams, drivers and cars racing with us, creating an amazing spectacle for those who unfortunately are not able to race.

Considering the above, it would be nonsense to change our formula. However, in some aspects 2017 will be an evolution from 2016. We will keep the same events, some with a slightly different date, like Jerez and Estoril 250KM. Our rules will also slightly change regarding the Toyo tyres (including rain tyres) and Tyres for De Tomaso. However, our standard tyre will be the Avon CR6ZZ and more news about tyres will be released soon.

Last but not the least, our ďspiritĒ is the most important item. Relaxed Historic Racing. We are very proud our races arenít donít give points to any championship. Usually championships have points, so drivers are forced to go to a meeting to be champions. We believe that in Historic Racing each race meeting should be enough challenge and fun in itself, so no season points are awarded. Therefore, each driver racing is because he wants to go to that specific race meeting and enjoy himself.
That means we have less drivers racing, but they are happy drivers that come for the final result but mostly for the overall experience. If the final result is good even better!

Our season starts at on the first weekend in March at Valencia, a homologated F1 circuit with the best Climate conditions in Europe. The meeting includes a Friday full day test day for any Historic car and fast single seaters.

Any questions just let us know."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IHE 2017.pdf (4.54 MB, 17 views)
Mike Bell is online now  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 23 Dec 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3698133)   #173
SamBinfield
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
United Kingdom
Hinckley, UK
Posts: 31
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The Iberian Historic Endurance calendar for 2017 is released. Copied from email received (calendar attachment below text)-

"Itís a pleasure to release our 2017 calendar attached. After an extremely successfully 2016 with an average of 47 entries per weekend and four out of seven races where we had to turn down entries due to full capacity. Quality-wise, we are very proud of the teams, drivers and cars racing with us, creating an amazing spectacle for those who unfortunately are not able to race.

Considering the above, it would be nonsense to change our formula. However, in some aspects 2017 will be an evolution from 2016. We will keep the same events, some with a slightly different date, like Jerez and Estoril 250KM. Our rules will also slightly change regarding the Toyo tyres (including rain tyres) and Tyres for De Tomaso. However, our standard tyre will be the Avon CR6ZZ and more news about tyres will be released soon.

Last but not the least, our ďspiritĒ is the most important item. Relaxed Historic Racing. We are very proud our races arenít donít give points to any championship. Usually championships have points, so drivers are forced to go to a meeting to be champions. We believe that in Historic Racing each race meeting should be enough challenge and fun in itself, so no season points are awarded. Therefore, each driver racing is because he wants to go to that specific race meeting and enjoy himself.
That means we have less drivers racing, but they are happy drivers that come for the final result but mostly for the overall experience. If the final result is good even better!

Our season starts at on the first weekend in March at Valencia, a homologated F1 circuit with the best Climate conditions in Europe. The meeting includes a Friday full day test day for any Historic car and fast single seaters.

Any questions just let us know."
Do you know what the general format is for the IHC events Mike? Perhaps I am being thick but I can't find any mention of it on their website or in the event calendar.
SamBinfield is offline  
Quote
Old 23 Dec 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3698153)   #174
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,181
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Do you know what the general format is for the IHC events Mike? Perhaps I am being thick but I can't find any mention of it on their website or in the event calendar.
Sam, I'll try and dig up some info from this year and copy it here. Watch this space......
Mike Bell is online now  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 23 Dec 2016, 17:17 (Ref:3698163)   #175
Gerard C
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
France
Paris area
Posts: 823
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mainly 1 hour (was the case in 2016) apart from Spa 3 hours. Maybe Jerez and Estoril will be longer in 2017. Info@HistoricEndurance.com
Some of my blokes go and race there because of the nice ambiance.None of us is dreaming about F1 any more after all!
I do appreciate tracks such like Estoril which is fantastic but so far away from Paris unfortunately.
Gerard C is offline  
Quote
Old 30 Dec 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3699171)   #176
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,181
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
All the 2017 events I had written down are now on the calendar. That doesn't mean it's complete or correct!

Any errors or omissions please shout.....
Mike Bell is online now  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 4 Jan 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3700141)   #177
John Elwin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
France
Pas de Calais
Posts: 1,111
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
All the 2017 events I had written down are now on the calendar. That doesn't mean it's complete or correct!

Any errors or omissions please shout.....
I couldn't find Goodwood Members' Meeting but Goodwood have just released a limited number of tickets for sale to the general public - £84 for each day or £134 for the weekend.
John Elwin is online now  
Quote
Old 4 Jan 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3700145)   #178
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,181
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I couldn't find Goodwood Members' Meeting but Goodwood have just released a limited number of tickets for sale to the general public - £84 for each day or £134 for the weekend.
It's on there- March 18/19th. Maybe you didn't click on 'Go' after selecting March 2017?

PS sounds like a bargain....
Mike Bell is online now  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3700535)   #179
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL
 
Peter Mallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
England
Here and there
Posts: 31,077
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just been confirmed. I've got Tiff Needell as my co-driver again.
Peter Mallett is offline  
__________________
Nobody told me we had a communication problem!
Quote
Old 7 Jan 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3700805)   #180
Brian A
Racer
 
Brian A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
England
Sunny West Sussex
Posts: 398
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just been cross checking my own plans for the year with the 2017 Calendar and I have a couple that are missing from the TenTenths version.

Morgan Sports Car Club have a meeting on the late May Bank Holiday Monday - the 29th of May at Brands Hatch (Indy circuit). It is a FISCAR round.

The final VSCC meeting of the year is on Sunday 17th September at Snetterton - I believe it is on the 200 circuit but not certain at this stage. JT is organising the "Archie Scott Brown Trophy", I may even be tempted to dig out the Mk IX for this one as I'll be there anyway with the Alvis special.

There is a MGCC meeting listed for 8th/9th July at Knockhill which according to the latest MGCC magazine is not happening. But they are having a meeting on the 22nd July at Cadwell Park which is currently missing.

Last edited by Brian A; 7 Jan 2017 at 15:04. Reason: Added the info on MGCC
Brian A is offline  
__________________
Brian Arculus
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Historic Race meeting dates / club calendars Mike Bell Historic Racing Today 156 7 Oct 2016 10:41
Best Historic race meetings? CLbrakesUK Historic Racing Today 22 7 Dec 2012 10:32
A rant on to closed to club race meetings Derwent Motorsp Historic Racing Today 83 5 Mar 2012 17:21
Historic racing calendars? johnh875 Historic Racing Today 26 21 Dec 2006 08:03
Aintree Circuit Club Race Meetings diz Motorsport History 18 11 Mar 2004 17:50


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 16:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.