Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jul 2000, 12:28 (Ref:23679)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I posted this in the Trackside Forum.

I highly recommend this weekend to anybody with a mild interest in good food, reasonable beer (hundreds of them) and great countryside. Oh and there's some excellent racing as well.

Practicing starts on the Friday 8th September. Racing starts on Saturday. Sunday has the 6 hours.

There's a Top Hat 1 hour race on the Saturday (I think) as well as the British Sports/Saloon Car Challenge. We usually start with a maximum grid.

Anybody going?
Old 18 Jul 2000, 12:42 (Ref:23882)   #2
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pete,
I'm going.
I'm sharing the car with Jon Owen (CSCC Grp1 Rover SD1 driver).
We're doing the French and English 10 lap races and the 1 hour 2-driver race

That will give the car about 120 mins of practice (180miles)
and a similar amount of racing.

I anticpate the whole exercise will cost me about £1200 all in. This works out at about £3.50 per mile, or £7 per racing mile on one of the greatest circuits in the world.

Compared with racing at at Thruxton for example:
8 laps pratice, 9laps racing (they stopped it short this year!!! no money back!) 19 miles practice, 22 miles racing.
Entry £150, prep £250, travel £150, £13 per mile, or £25 per racing mile!

As UK is so expensive, (even without me hitting the scenery!) the races generally so short, Spa is fantastic value.
And the first time you see Eau Rouge as you drive onto the circuit through the gates at La Source...even before you actually drive it.... is something I will take to my grave!

Must get to Nurburg, Monza, P.Ricard, Catalunya

IanC
Old 18 Jul 2000, 14:10 (Ref:23899)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm just doing the British race this year.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 00:10 (Ref:24031)   #4
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Has the CSCC (or other) thought about running a 6 hour at, perhaps, Donington or Brands? There must be enough historic Cortinas and Minis and whatnot to make up a grid. And there must be many spectators that could not afford to make it to Spa (like me).
Old 19 Jul 2000, 09:33 (Ref:24059)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
What is the additional expense,for you, of travelling to Spa compared with (say) Oulton Park? About thirty quids worth of petrol and a ferry fair. You can camp in the circuit for free. Ferry is very cheap for 4 people. So, I'm afraid Graham I don't buy the "cost" issue.

As far as racing is concerned Yelwoci made the point elsewhere that it is cheaper per mile to race at Spa than at any UK circuit.

As far as long distance races in the UK are concerned. Where would you rather go? To Spa where the noise restrictions and facilities are designed for long races or any UK circuit where they put curfews and "quiet times" on events other than FIA sanctioned International meetings.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 09:45 (Ref:24065)   #6
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£30 of petrol? The furthest track for me in the UK is about 250 miles, (Knockhill), Lydden, 200 miles. Spa 450 miles, (each way) plus ferry, so I would say the expense of Spa is more than £30.
Having said that, the 2 times I've been were well worth it.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 10:34 (Ref:24072)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think I said additional cost Steve.

Which on that basis is good value because even a die hard Combe fan would come away with a totally different view of motor sport.

BTW. Fuel is about 20% cheaper in Belgium.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 14:01 (Ref:24115)   #8
Graham
Veteran

The cost of attending far off meetings is relative to how much you earn - you are a high or reasonably paid computer bloke are you not? I have less disposable income, and a lot less free time in large enough chunks to swan off to Belgium.

If it is cheaper per racing mile in Belgium, why is that so?
Old 19 Jul 2000, 14:10 (Ref:24118)   #9
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Graham,

"you are a high or reasonably paid computer bloke are you not? "

Guilty as Charged!

Spa is 4.5miles long you get 10 laps in both practice & race and they charge about £190 for the privilege.

Thruxton, for example and its one of the better ones, is 2.3miles, you get about 8 laps in practice and somtimes 10 in the race.

I make things even better by thrashing the car in every race I can enter it into, in an attempt to diminish the costs of insurance/ferry/fuel/hotel/food/beer/etc

IanC

Old 19 Jul 2000, 15:27 (Ref:24136)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
.............. you are a high or reasonably paid computer bloke are you not?
NO

You miss the point of my previous responses young G man. If you share a car and split the cost of a ferry then its not much more than travelling around the UK to watch motorsport. Get yourself in with a team and you can hitch a lift which is even cheaper.

Come on man. Make an effort!!!
Old 19 Jul 2000, 16:00 (Ref:24148)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Graham,

While I hasten to add that I can't do Spa this year, because it clashes with Battle of Britain 60th anniversary events, a continental trip is really not an outrageous expense.

Last year, we did Le Mans for a ferry fare of £91 for a Ford Granada, three up. Fuel in France is a third cheaper than in the UK (Belgium is even better, I think), and the go anywhere ticket was thirty quid.

At the time I had no regular income, but I still managed to squeak the money together by putting a bit away. I'm as poor as a church mouse that took a vow of poverty, but even for me, a European race once in a while is not out of the question.

I'm aware that your circumstances can mitigate against allocating big chunks of free time to a racing holiday. That will be a real factor, I know. And I'll concede that coming down from the South-West puts a few more petrol miles into the equation than my location just north of London, but it is achievable with a little determined saving.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 16:16 (Ref:24151)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
S'right Tim. You tell im!!!

Not wishing to beat up on you G chappy. However, you really should try and get about a bit, just to see what its like in other parts. I bet if you, Lee and a couple of others got together you could do it really cheap. And if you did, I'm sure tickets could be made available.

I fully expect to see a couple of TVR Granturas racing in the 6 hours.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 18:23 (Ref:24186)   #13
Graham
Veteran

But I'm already saving for a camera lens and a TVR Vixen or Taimar!! Much more important you understand

(perhaps I should sell old Berol while my brother's not looking...)
Old 20 Jul 2000, 08:31 (Ref:24313)   #14
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa

yelwoci - what is the full schedule for SPa - I'm due to be in our Volvo 122S (1965 red / white - class winner FIA Donington last weekend) (that part is for Peter) for the tin top challenge and wondered if there are any other races whilst we're out there ?

please advise
Old 20 Jul 2000, 16:01 (Ref:24380)   #15
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
I don't have the full schedule, especially for a '65 car.

I know there is a pre-82ish French Saloon race (10 lap);
a pre-82ish English Race (Barry Sidery Smith, 10 lap) an all comers 2 driver race.

Last year there were also a number of historic saloon races and of course the 6-hour on the Sunday.
There were also thoroughbred sports car races.

IanC
Old 20 Jul 2000, 20:41 (Ref:24426)   #16
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For info about the FIA 6 hours of Spa and others races you can contact the organiser:

Motor Classic asbl,
254, boulevard d'Avroy,
B-4000 Liège,
Belgique.

Write to Mr. Alain Defalle.

You can also phone or fax them:

Telephone: +32(0)4/254.19.50
Fax: +32(0)4/254.25.40

E-mail : contact@motorclassic.com
Old 21 Jul 2000, 07:49 (Ref:24505)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We know there's a Top Hat 1 hour race on the bill. There's usually an Alfa Romeo race and there's usually a couple of single seater races. I expect the classic clubmans to be there.

Just guessing because whilst the Motor Classic asbl organise the meeting, they rent out the races to the highest bidder. That's why you don't get programmes.
Old 21 Jul 2000, 08:34 (Ref:24512)   #18
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 4 years ago they had a Honda NSX race on, with semi-standard cars & full race versions. The full race versions were driven by mainly Honda execs
Old 8 Aug 2000, 07:03 (Ref:29071)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Got an idea of the schedule.

Friday = Practice/qualifying.
Saturday = Qualifying, 10 lap and 1 hour race.
Sunday = British Sports/Saloons race, 2x1 hour races, FIA Six hours of Spa.

That's as I understand it to be at present.
Old 8 Aug 2000, 08:59 (Ref:29080)   #20
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
To be precise

TIMING
SIX HOURS SPA 2000 (Provisional)

FRIDAY September 8

10h20/11h20 Practice 1 SIX HOURS 1

11h40/12h10 Practice Barry 10 laps Touring &GT

12h30/13h00 Practice Trophée Saloon Car 6

13h20/13h40 Practice 1 Formula 2 Club Trophy 8

14h00/14h30 Practice HSCC GT 10 laps

14h50/15h20 Practice Barry One hour Touring &GT 2

15h40/16h10 Practice TOP HAT One Hour Touring 3

16h30/16h50 Practice 2 Formula 2 Club Trophy 8

17h10/18h10 Open Practice GT Touring

18h30/19h00 Open Practice Single Seater

SATURDAY September 9

08h00/08h30 Practice Troféo Alfa Roméo-Squadra Bianca

08h50/09h20 RACE HSCC GT 10 laps 5

09h40/10h40 Practice 2 SIX HOURS 1

11h00/11h30 Practice Acemai Formula 2 Trophy 9

11h50/12h20 Practice Formula Ford Challenge

12h40/13h40 RACE Barry One hour Touring &GT 2

14h00/14h30 RACE Trophée Saloon Car 6

14h50/15h15 RACE 1 Formula 2 Club Trophy 8

15h35/16h20 Practice European Historic Group 4 Trophy

16h40/17h40 RACE TOP HAT One Hour Touring 3

18h00/18h30 RACE Formula Ford Challenge 11

18h30 Incentive track time 45'

SUNDAY September 10

08h15/08h45 RACE Troféo Alfa Roméo-Squadra Bianca 10

09h05/09h35 RACE Barry 10 laps Touring &GT 4

09h55/10h20 RACE 2 Formula 2 Club Trophy 8

10h40/11h10 RACE Acemai Formula 2 Trophy 9

11h30/12h30 RACE European Historic Group 4 Trophy

Starting Procedure

13h00/19h00 RACE SIX HOURS 1

See you there - rgds Jos

Old 8 Aug 2000, 11:23 (Ref:29104)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Excellent. Thanks for that Jos.
Old 9 Aug 2000, 17:57 (Ref:29376)   #22
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're there too !! The UK Classic Formula Ford Register will make up about half the grid of the Formula Ford Challenge, the other half is mainly French Classic FF I think. 48 Old Formula Fords into Eau Rouge from a rolling start - wow ! that'll get the ol' adrenalin going - and a few other parts probably.
There's going to be some pretty nice machinery there, one of our guys is bringing his restored Lotus 79, and the Acemai F2 cars are great, I think a freind of mine is taking his "Matchbox" Surtees - lovely cars - lovely noise.
As for cost - well our agenda has been cut from practise, qualifying and race to just qualifying and race but the entry fee is £135 GBP , WAKE UP BARC/BRSCC !!! that's the same as going to Brands club circuit. I know where I'd rather spend my money. And apparently if you open a European bank account and pay in Euro's it works out cheaper.
When you travelling over Pete et al ? We're probably going Dvr Calais by Hovercraft £165GBP inc trailer semmed pretty good. Not sure to go Thurs night or Fri before the birds wake up. Any idea how long it takes Calais to Spa, I heard 3-5hrs ?!?
Old 10 Aug 2000, 06:40 (Ref:29489)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Harman
We're there too !!
.................................................................................
When you travelling over Pete et al ? We're probably going Dvr Calais by Hovercraft £165GBP inc trailer semmed pretty good. Not sure to go Thurs night or Fri before the birds wake up. Any idea how long it takes Calais to Spa, I heard 3-5hrs ?!?
I'm on the 08.45(ish) ferry on Thursday. I fly back in to the UK at 18.30 on the Wednesday.

Before you book talk to MST at 01295 274748.

Its about 4 hours towing time from Calais to Spa. have you booked a room?

See ya.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 09:03 (Ref:29498)   #24
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
My recent research says most hotels in the area (a) are full and (b) have a three night minimum - but unusually for Europe have not boosted their room rates - much.....
Old 10 Aug 2000, 09:09 (Ref:29499)   #25
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Pete, Yep I've already spoken with MST, and Allsports down in Wales. Until I saw Jos's mail I didn't realise there was so much happening on Friday so we will go for the 10.00 am Ferry Thursday, return Sunday afternoon, shame we'll miss the main event but I have to go away again v.early Monday. Which race are you in Pete ?
No we've not booked a room, staying at "Chez canvas" as per norm.
Anyone got any suggestions on gear ratio's ? - despite the length I heard from opne person that Snetterton ratios are pretty close, I guess you tin top guys don't get a lot of choice on that - or do you ?, do you change diff's ?
If anyone's interested I've just found they have a nice site at http://www.spa-francochamps.be
See you there. ('ere where's that button gone that gives me the ascii code for generating smilies in the text ? - there should be a cool dude here!)