Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:38 (Ref:701557)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson's Jaguar future in the balance

According to Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=24388&s=5

Worrying, isn't it?

Frankly I'm surprised that a squad with such a huge backer behind them, may need a paying driver...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:55 (Ref:701568)   #2
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, it surprises me too that Ford are willing to compromise their second car for the sake of c.$7m. Perhaps their thought process is that they aren't going to be fighting for the world championships next season, so do constructors points matter? "Jaguar--5th in World Constructor's Championship" isn't really much better for marketing purposes than being 6th or 7th. Perhaps their aim is simply to have a green car getting TV coverage by running well in the races, as Webber has done this year, while the other car is just there to raise revenue.

On the other hand:
a) Does anyone know the value of the FIA travel money awarded to the top ten in the WCC? If this increases with position earned, losing a few points by having a lesser driver in the 2nd car might cost more than $7m;

b) This scheme doesn't really jibe with Jaguar's stated reasons for getting Wilson in the car this year--to secure 5th in WCC. Maybe their plan was to see how good Wilson was before committing to 2004 the line-up: if he was as good as Webber keep him and have 2 competitive cars; if not, rather than take another risk on a driver of unknown speed (or paying for an established driver), switch to a pay driver and the plan described above.

Just thinking aloud here...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:03 (Ref:701571)   #3
Rocktracer
Racer

Rocktracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cant view that site... who is the pay driver>>??
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:29 (Ref:701596)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No names are mentioned, the hole story seems to be rumour driven, with just the small Tony Prucell quote at the end following 3 paragraphs of waffle - 'may' and 'could' are each used 3 times.

It's jsut a slow news week, don't read too much into this.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:42 (Ref:701613)   #5
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Justin does enough to keep his ride, but remember he is a 'pay driver' - why do you think he got his minardi ride? If Jag can find somebody half decent, with money, its difficult to blame them - as long as they've got Webber to bring home the bacon?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:46 (Ref:701616)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is Jaguar saying, its a buyers market and we are open to anything. It's rumoured that Ford are cutting their support of Jaguar F1 by 10% due to their mounting losses.

This sends out the signal that all contributions are welcome. Whatever, JW needs to be Mark's tail over the next few races to increase his chances of holding onto the drive.

If it does come down to cash, I can't see him being able to match some of the sums being mentioned.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:49 (Ref:701620)   #7
spearce
Racer

So does that mean Jos is in at Jag next year then ???
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:55 (Ref:701627)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Jos has become the new Diniz ! One of very few drivers with real backing, he's been connected with Jordan, Jag and Minardi - so who knows?

I would say his rumoured $7M would buy more space on a Jordan or Minardi than on a Jaguar, but his sponsors may be willing to trade off space against a higher performing car. I would guess they are getting very good value for money at Minardi though.

However, as they seem to be the only names on the Minardi of any note, one can only speculate on how they would survive without his sponsors, or the chances of finding someone similarly well funded. Slightly off topic - sorry !
Old 28 Aug 2003, 11:21 (Ref:701657)   #9
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is true what a shame for Wilson, I thought at the time it was a risk. Jaguar/Stewart have never managed to run two "competetive" cars, they either blame the driver or the engineer.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 11:28 (Ref:701666)   #10
spearce
Racer

Talking of Jos, just heard he's going to be doing the ASCAR race at Rockingham this w/e. Should be interesting, a shame we can't see Colin McRae in one again as well !
Old 28 Aug 2003, 11:29 (Ref:701670)   #11
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money matters. But what matters more is for JW to be on the pace at Indianapolis and Suzuka. (Monza should be easy)
Old 28 Aug 2003, 19:34 (Ref:702125)   #12
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But who does have 7M $?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 19:38 (Ref:702130)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its sad to see F1 in this state .Drivers getting picked for the money they bring and not for their skill.i mean JW deserves to be in an F1 seat next year and it will be sad if he is forced out because someone else can bring in more cash
Old 28 Aug 2003, 20:06 (Ref:702147)   #14
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza will probably be the best chance for Justin to shine. Jaguar were strong there last year and you would expect them to be stronger this year. It's a fairly easy circuit to get to grips with and Friday testing should set him up well.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 02:02 (Ref:702300)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Although I'm not sure Justin is ready to take on Mark, it would almost be criminal if he lost a seat in F1 totally. If he does'nt get the Jag drive, I;m sure he'll pop up somewhere else, I just hope his manager is onto it.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 09:25 (Ref:702451)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The treatment of Pizzonia has already left a very bad taste.
I personally think Jaguar F1 are a disgrace and really undeserving of any kind of loyallty or fanbase (this is irrespective of it being Justin Wilson who's future hangs in the balance)
The make a mockery of any claims they may have of being either a "big" or "works" team.
Paying for a Minardi drive is a differnet matter all together.
Part of me is thinking we'd be better off without Jag