Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1954456)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The "tabloid free" 2007 British GP thread. (FREE British overkill inside!)

Well, this is the one many have been itching for and many others have been dreading!

This is the first F1 homecoming of Lewis Hamilton. And not just any homecoming: for the first time in 11 years, a Brit starts his home GP with a commanding world championship points lead. And a rookie Brit at that. You couldn't make it up.

Silverstone has been the scene of a couple of watershed moments in Lewis' previous year and a bit. He had his first proper, extended F1 test here last September (enough for McLaren to give him the 2007 race seat alongside Alonso) and who could forget his epic performance here in GP2 last year? I was there to see it and it was really something special to see not only his perfect drives in both races (not to mention some outrageous overtaking) but the moment that sticks in my mind was he got a standing ovation. This is only meant to happen in F1.

All of which is of little comfort to "that other Brit", one Jenson Button. Like an unpleasant smelling tramp, Jenson has been ignored and shoved aside in a frenzy of "Lewis is God" propaganda. Jenson is now officially a nobody (do you know who he is?) and will have a relaxed British GP as nobody talks to him except his dad. Still, at least his engine won't blow up on lap eight this year after a woeful qualifying performance (I assume). Look out for the usual rabid masses of Jenson fans. And I mean properly look, because they will be not here this year. An exticnt species.

Then there's DC. Yes, he is still here (would you believe) for his 78th British GP. David, who is Scottish, will be cheered on by his mum and dad and will look to score a good result, hopefully before the RBR car breaks down once again. RBR incidentally, will be running a livery this weekend that consists of mugshots of the paying public. A brilliant idea that will not be picked up at any point by the TV director this weekend.

The final home boy is Anthony Davidson, otherwise known as Ant. He will be cheered on by some hardcore F1 fans (who will be outnumbered 99% by bandwagoners sadly) and Rennen. Unfortunately, he is driving a Super Aguri.

Lewis, the tabloids are relying on you again I'm afraid. Get pole, fastest lap and the win or else.

STOP PRESS: I am hearing unconfirmed reports that some non-Brits will be taking part this weekend. Stay tuned for further information as it is uncovered.

Drivers championship standings (after eight rounds)
Pos.DriverTeamPointsWins
1.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes642
2.Fernando AlonsoMcLaren-Mercedes502
3.Felipe MassaFerrari472
4.Kimi RaikkonenFerrari422
5.Nick HeidfeldBMW-Sauber300
6.Robert KubicaBMW-Sauber170
7.Giancarlo FisichellaRenault160
8.Heikki KovaleinenRenault120
9.Alexander WurzWilliams-Toyota80
10.Jarno TrulliToyota70
11.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota50
12.David CoulthardRed Bull-Renault40
12=Takuma SatoSuper Aguri-Honda40
14.Mark WebberRed Bull-Renault20
14=Ralf SchumacherToyota20
16.Jenson ButtonHonda10
16=Sebastien VettelBMW-Sauber10

Constructors championship standings (after eight rounds)
Pos.ConstructorPointsWins
1.McLaren-Mercedes1144
2.Ferrari894
3.BMW-Sauber480
4.Renault280
5.Williams-Toyota130
6.Toyota90
7.Red Bull-Renault60
8.Super Aguri-Honda40
9.Honda10
10Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari00
10=Spyker-Ferrari00

British GP: recent history

2006 top eight finishers
Pos.DriverTeamTime/gapGrid pos.
1.Fernando AlonsoRenault1h25m51.927Pole
2.Michael SchumacherFerrari+13.9513rd
3.Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes+18.6722nd
4.Giancarlo FisichellaRenault+19.9765th
5.Felipe MassaFerrari+31.5594th
6.Juan Pablo MontoyaMcLaren-Mercedes+1m4.7698th
7.Nick HeidfeldBMW-Sauber+1m14.5949th
8.Jacques VilleneuveBMW-Sauber+1m18.22910th

DriverTeamLaptime
2006 fastest lapFernando AlonsoRenault1m21.599
2006 pole positionFernando AlonsoRenault1m20.253
Lap recordMichael SchumacherFerrari1m18.739 (set in 2004)

Other previous winners
YearDriverTeam
2005Juan Pablo MontoyaMcLaren-Mercedes
2004Michael SchumacherFerrari
2003Rubens BarrichelloFerrari
2002Michael SchumacherFerrari
2001Mika HakkinenMcLaren-Mercedes
2000David CoulthardMcLaren-Mercedes
1999David CoulthardMcLaren-Mercedes
1998Michael SchumacherFerrari
1997Jacques VilleneuveWilliams-Renault
1996Jacques VilleneuveWilliams-Renault

Circuit and race weekend information
Circuit map and timetable
Live timing
Event artwork
Official site

For the three people that won't be at the race this year, why not simulate the experience (err...) in the chat room.

And have a punt in the predictions competition while you're at it.

Enjoy the weekend!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 4 Jul 2007 at 18:50.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1954470)   #2
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rain, Wetness and Moisture. I think this is what this years GP will be remembered for although I hope I am going to be proved wrong. I am seriously looking forward to the atmosphere this weekend and this could be the most pressure Lewis has had as of yet.
For those of you that are going, hope you enjoy and for those at home, hope you are there next year!

Knowlsey - DC's 78th British GP? Well I knew he was the oldest driver this year but by jove that's alot!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1954502)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
C'mon, lets have a nice wet one for a change, we are overdue an exciting wet grand prix.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1954532)   #4
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha, brilliant intro there knowlesy...as ever.

Rain would be excellent, and in fact I was counting on it for the British Grand Prix if nowhere else this season. Sadly though, I think we're in for an uncharacteristically dry day on Sunday. dammit...

Oh the uproar if McLaren screw up Lewis' strategy this weekend
Old 4 Jul 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1954534)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
C'mon, lets have a nice wet one for a change, we are overdue an exciting wet grand prix.
i can see it now, the tabloids, Bernie and Max all complaining on Monday morning about how muddy and waterlogged the car parks were, no more British GP, and that John Kettley secret sent the Silverstone weather forecast in a sealed brown paper envelope to Mike Coughlan last week.

Last edited by andy_b; 4 Jul 2007 at 20:20.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 20:20 (Ref:1954536)   #6
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
Oh the uproar if McLaren.....<snip>
there will be moans and complaints whatever they do. If Hamilton wins, the Spanish press and Fred will complain. If Alonso wins, then GB (TM) will complain and if a Ferrari wins, well everyone will complain about McLaren screwing up their stragety. It all seems to be as out of control as the whole Stepney Coughlan present giving cermoney
Old 4 Jul 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1954550)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Grrrr! I'm green of envy! Why I cannot write posts like those Knowlesy's intros?

Ok

Great as always. I don't know why you lose your time following those ridiculous Bernie-cars. Come to the bike forum even more often and maybe you will get more points where you know.

Ah, I forgot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
The Brits are already w*t with Hammy, aren't they?
Old 4 Jul 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1954565)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm looking forward to the possibility of a wet race - some on-off showers in quali would be good with the new format.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1954587)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I may be the odd one out here, but I don't think there will be that much rain over the weekend.

Like 2000, it is more likely to be remembered for the rain that has made the car parks waterlogged already and will cause a lot inconvenience to many people. If you're going, and I may be, prepare to be patient.

Also off-track the Stepneygate affair will loom large.

So let's hope for a brilliant race on-track. I reckon the Ferraris and McLarens will be pretty evenly matched.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1954599)   #10
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd like Hamilton to win for obvious reasons, the 2nd best would be for Massa to win it. With Alonso or Kimi, they never seem to smile even if they do well!

I'll be cheering on DC come rain or shine! Unlike some on this forum I am not a glory hunter, however I am a Hamilton fan but I have been since he was in cadet karts!

Hamilton is the heart throb of some young ladies I know but only because he is in Formula 1, they probably didn't know who he was 6-12 months ago!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1954610)   #11
pottiella
Veteran

andy_b...lol who's Fred?!!

strider, I'm pretty sure we won't have a wet race either unfortunately.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1954641)   #12
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice intro Knowlesy and I love the title.

Now I'm trying to read between your lines here and I may have got a little confused so just to be clear I take it you like Hamilton then.

If so on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being low and 10 being bloody flippen unbelievable) where would you put Hamilton on the scale???

Keep up the great intros
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1954695)   #13
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Like 2000, it is more likely to be remembered for the rain that has made the car parks waterlogged already and will cause a lot inconvenience to many people. If you're going, and I may be, prepare to be patient.
Yeah, sleeping in the car (bring a big SUV) during the Sunday-Monday night might not be a bad idea. And if you don't want to do that, just head cross country with it and clear all the traffic.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1954709)   #14
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I may be the odd one out here, but I don't think there will be that much rain over the weekend.

Also off-track the Stepneygate affair will loom large.

So let's hope for a brilliant race on-track. I reckon the Ferraris and McLarens will be pretty evenly matched.
Ahh, I remember 2000 well. That was the last British GP that I went to. I don't think anyone managed to get away without the tractor tow.

I also remember being really ****ed off that Coulthard won. Mainly because the whole nationalistic "get behind the Brit" thing really annoys me. Particuarly given how he is Scottish and the Scot's tend to go for the "get behind anyone who isn't English".
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:36 (Ref:1954715)   #15
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incidentally, looking at the leader board I just realised. When has it ever been so absolutely clear where the pecking order lay in the teams?

McLaren = 1 + 2
Ferrari = 3 + 4
BMW = 5 + 6
Renault = 7 + 8

Then we have Williams Toyota 9 + 11, split by another Toyota of Trulli in 10th. I am sure that if it weren't for Wurz's extreme luck, (as well as excellent driving) in the Canadian GP, combined with Ralf's extreme mediocrity it would be a Toyota 9 + 10, with a Williams 11 and 12.

Actually, I have just checked, and in 2002 the top 8 were distributed as :-

Ferrari = 1 + 2
Williams = 3 + 4
McLaren = 5 + 6
Renault = 7 + 8

Well, I find it interesting anyway.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:37 (Ref:1954716)   #16
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by schead
I also remember being really ****ed off that Coulthard won. Mainly because the whole nationalistic "get behind the Brit" thing really annoys me. Particuarly given how he is Scottish and the Scot's tend to go for the "get behind anyone who isn't English".
No need for that! I would support Jenson or Ant and Lewis of course if they won, yes I am Scottish.

In general though, we have produced better racing drivers than England has. Considering there is only 5 million of us!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:54 (Ref:1954728)   #17
schead
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
No need for that! I would support Jenson or Ant and Lewis of course if they won, yes I am Scottish.

In general though, we have produced better racing drivers than England has. Considering there is only 5 million of us!
I can't speak for F1 fans, since I don't know any Scottish F1 fans, (although every Scottish person I have known have been convinced that Coulthard is by far the best driver in the world, even though they don't follow F1).

What I do know however, is that every single Scottish person that I have met has admitted that they will ALWAYS cheer on whoever is playing England at football. I don't really care, since I don't actually follow football, nor do I follow F1 drivers based on nationality, since patriotism really does irritate me.

As for great drivers, Jacquie Stewart and Jim Clark were undoubtably great drivers. But it HAS been 34 years!!!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 00:32 (Ref:1954747)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
andy_b...lol who's Fred?!!
Mr Alonso to you
Old 5 Jul 2007, 00:35 (Ref:1954749)   #19
pottiella
Veteran

don't know how many scots or where you've met schead, but being a scot, I don't know anyone who thinks DC is the best driver in the world!! Anyone who isn't a fan but thinks that..well why are you even taking note of that then? Its like someone saying ralf schumacher must be brilliant because they've heard he's Michael's brother! My personal favourite is a non-british driver, so it makes little difference. But yes, I do cheer DC on, and have always done so...but in the same way I really like Ant (even if he does make some clumsey mistakes! but then again, DC has done no end of those...), so I'll be cheering for him too. In fact, I didn't like Jenson before but I feel gutted for him and think he deserves a break, and am really willing him to get points on Sunday.
The only one I'm not exactly supporting (and I'll say it openly, as everyone is entitled to like or dislike a driver, for whatever reason) is Lewis. But good on him if he manages to win the race...lets face it, the brits have had their fair share of misery recently...

As for the thing about supporting anyone who is England's opponent...don't take it so damn seriously. Scotland and England have always had a rivalry which has evolved into lighthearted opposition. If we all hated the English so much, I assure you, it would be a lot uglier than just opposing the support in sports or whatever. What's more is that a large part of any true intent to dislike an English side is exactly for the reason all this Lewis business is evoking in people...the hype and the sheer pretentiousness that seems to descend on fans and the media...and that REALLY annoys everyone that isn't English, not just the Scots (ask a lot of europeans)...its just that the scots are the ones that the English can see disliking it. and don't even get me started on flags..case in point, British flags go up for Andy Murray, but English flag come out for Tim Henman. I personally don't have a problem with it, but its just pointing out the constant double standards...so common its become that its actually laughable now, and its in that lighthearted spirit that you'll hear a Scottish person (and other origins) jokingly say "anyone but England".

Lets just put it into a bit of perspective...ie don't get yourself wound up by it!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1954753)   #20
pottiella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
Mr Alonso to you
Oh, I'm on first name terms don't you know? It's Fernando for me!!

Baffling how he gets the name Fred...but we'll differ on the actual opinion itself anyhow
Old 5 Jul 2007, 00:59 (Ref:1954761)   #21
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Then there's DC. Yes, he is still here (would you believe) for his 78th British GP.....
That's a ton of British GP's!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 02:32 (Ref:1954777)   #22
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
*OFF TOPIC SORRY!* I don't see why us Scots should be supportive of an English team. I am one of the 1s that would support the team playing against England.

I have lived down here for 7 years, have an English fiancee and I am part English myself but I still would never support a team representing England. Tim Henman is British, so is Andy Murray, when they represent Great Britain then I'll support them. British athletes and swimmers are the same. As soon as I see a St. George's Cross, my back goes up. Its all the crap that goes with it, England are the best football team ever, well actually no, they haven't proved it! Same with the rugby, they were world champions 4 years ago, a long time ago in rugby terms, they've been beaten by every nation in the 6 nations apart from Italy since 03!

Near my fiancee's house there is a guy who is adverising something outside his house with a Union Flag painted on the fence and it says "Made in England."

David, Allan McNish and Dario Franchitti all sport Saltire Crosses on their cars, they all stipulated they are Scottish not British! Fair play to them, not many English drivers would do that! I know Jenson had an England flag helmet for a Grand Prix or 2.

I have a great big Saltire on the roof of my racing car!

I am proud to be Scottish, we are the trodden upon nation of the British Isles. Apart from Wales obviously.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 03:14 (Ref:1954793)   #23
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it is funny the Pom's can overkill about Hamilton and the British GP yet they are having a whinge about us having overkill on Casey Stoner in Moto GP, take a look at your own backyard before you critisize others .

i know the poms will have a go at me for this but it's true.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 04:25 (Ref:1954806)   #24
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i think it is funny the Pom's can overkill about Hamilton and the British GP yet they are having a whinge about us having overkill on Casey Stoner in Moto GP, take a look at your own backyard before you critisize others .

i know the poms will have a go at me for this but it's true.
Do you realise every second post of yours mentions either Webber, Stoner, Vermuelen or West?
Old 5 Jul 2007, 04:29 (Ref:1954809)   #25
pottiella
Veteran

uh oh, it's all kickin off here now...knowlesy, get yourself back here and sort everyone out!

I plead innocence of course...