Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Apr 2015, 13:54 (Ref:3529308)   #576
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Ah so you did. I didn't see that until now, I promise!

Let's not forget that things will "swing away" from Audi to a certain extent, so I fully expect a harder fought race at Spa (if that is believable after that ding-dong we've just seen). It will be interesting to see if they kit all three R18s in LM-spec aero or not.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3529315)   #577
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spa will give us a better indication, but if it rains, I expect Porsche will have a dastardly time. They need to do a lot of work on their wet set-up as well. (see FP3 times at Silverstone). It's quite strange really, as last years car was very good in the rain. Having changed their rear suspension completely seems to have done away with that advantage.....so far.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3529412)   #578
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Ah so you did. I didn't see that until now, I promise!

Let's not forget that things will "swing away" from Audi to a certain extent, so I fully expect a harder fought race at Spa (if that is believable after that ding-dong we've just seen). It will be interesting to see if they kit all three R18s in LM-spec aero or not.
Either only the #9 Audi with have the Le Mans aero or all the cars will. I would be very surprised if the #7 and #8 had different species aero
Old 20 Apr 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3529431)   #579
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Where'd you get the FIA telemetry data from? I want to comb through it!
https://youtu.be/6VibdXK7X7o?t=1h36m26s

Look at the speed at throttle position, the whole way through the straight the car is accelerating as you would expect, shortly after it passes the bridge on the hanger straight though you can hear a strange noise (stranger than the usual gear whine) and the car stop accelerating and get stuck ~267kph, while it's on full throttle.

And here is another conformation of that
https://youtu.be/6VibdXK7X7o?t=2h3m41s

The audis weren't doing this harvesting on the national pit straight and as you can see strangely enough they reach 280kph there, much higher than what they do at the speed trap on the hanger straight. The porsche reaches "just" 289kph, only 9 more than the audi, but look at lowest apex speed through Copse - 202kph for the Porsche, 227 for the Audi. A staggering 25kph advantage, it's almost like the porsche was a GT car, compared to the Audi.

Last edited by cokata; 20 Apr 2015 at 19:05.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3529441)   #580
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The telemetry on screen is not always accurate. Theres hiccups in it where you see the Porsche accelerating but the stated speed is the same. So it probably has lag in the information which could be an explanation for what you see vs what you hear.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3529449)   #581
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The telemetry on screen is not always accurate. Theres hiccups in it where you see the Porsche accelerating but the stated speed is the same. So it probably has lag in the information which could be an explanation for what you see vs what you hear.
the only hiccup was on the porsche just before maggots
Old 20 Apr 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3529489)   #582
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Porsche was doing 29-30 laps per stint, that gave them one less pit stop, but lets say that their race pace suffered from this fuel saving strategy and was in the 1:44 region or roughly same as #1 Toyota, how come they didn't double stint their tyres?
IIRC, even Porsche double stinted it at some point, haven't they? and I'm sure Audi and Toyota did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
It will be interesting to see if they kit all three R18s in LM-spec aero or not.
I think I've read somewhere that they will do as last year, ie, only the 3rd car will feature LM aero package while #7 and #8 will feature the higher downforce one which will be seconds faster on S2
Old 21 Apr 2015, 00:03 (Ref:3529513)   #583
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Correct (and as I have pointed out in the Toyota thread). Until Porsche get their tire wear sorted out, they will have problems with their race pace (on non Le Mans tracks). The main reason they were so successful in Sao Paulo was due to the resurfacing of the track that was so kind to their tires.
The degradation was huge on the F1 race. Pirelli Softs were only used for 7 laps and the Mediums for 20.

LMP1s, on their Michelins, double stinted it, which equals to the full F1 Brazilian GP distance(71 laps).

I can't see how we can put it all to the resurfacing of Interlagos when F1's Pirelli is considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post
but look at lowest apex speed through Copse - 202kph for the Porsche, 227 for the Audi. A staggering 25kph advantage, it's almost like the porsche was a GT car, compared to the Audi.
I think Porsche can go faster than 202kmh through there, the problem is that we're seeing the speedmeter on a random race lap and that can vary quite a lot from the max possible. For instance, Audi can corner Copse with 240kmh, as I've seen on another lap and on this part, that you linked, Audi is carrying 210-220kmh through Becketts(T12) and on some other moment it was 200kmh. There is also a part when Audi is doing 170kmh at Stowe and, on another moment, 180kmh.

But, on average, Porsche is around 5-7% slower than Audi on high speed corners. A GT car takes Copse at 160kmh, so an awful lot bigger gap to Porsche's LMP1 than from Porsche's to Audi.

As for my previous post, I've confirmed it with Michelin's PR. Porsche, with Jani, also double stinted:
Quote:
Neel Jani kept the same tyres when the N°18 919 Hybrid stopped for the sixth time.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 05:54 (Ref:3529568)   #584
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
The degradation was huge on the F1 race. Pirelli Softs were only used for 7 laps and the Mediums for 20.

LMP1s, on their Michelins, double stinted it, which equals to the full F1 Brazilian GP distance(71 laps).

I can't see how we can put it all to the resurfacing of Interlagos when F1's Pirelli is considered.:
Perhaps I should have written "one of the main reasons". The point is that their tire-wear issues are not only not enabling them to use the full potential of the car as it is limiting them in their strategies. If you go back and read the driver reports from the race you will see what a huge impression the condition of the track left on them. IIRC one of them went as far as to state that the person responsible for the resurfacing of Sao Paulo should be in charge of resurfacing every other track in the world.
I would say that is quite a big impression

Quote:
As for my previous post, I've confirmed it with Michelin's PR. Porsche, with Jani, also double stinted:
I remember seeing that they changed 2 tires on Neel's car on his sixth stop. Not the full set.

Last edited by Spyderman; 21 Apr 2015 at 05:59.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 06:50 (Ref:3529584)   #585
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Ă–sterreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post

I see. Disappointing. I'm working on analyzing the races to a certain degree automatically based on the available timing data. Having telemetry available would've been the golden data you really, really want to dig through. I saw a bright light for a moment... and it went away. Thanks though.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 07:31 (Ref:3529601)   #586
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
I have just confirmed that they in fact changed the front left tire at the last stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vib....be&t=1h36m26s