Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jun 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3655801)   #151
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
A "hot seat" in that you might win a race or two every couple of years, but have little chance at Bathurst glory let alone championships.

This is BJR we're talking about....isn't it?
Same could be said of most teams. Teams like BJR, GRM, HRT, Nissan and Tekno grab the odd win, but most of of it is done by PRA and 888. As the biggest and best resourced teams, stands to reason. Should the drive in car #8 become available, then it would be highly sought after, and probably one of the hottest of those available.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 23:25 (Ref:3655837)   #152
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're far more likely to see some success in the #8 than say the Nissans for example.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3655841)   #153
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You're far more likely to see some success in the #8 than say the Nissans for example.
Weird thing to suggest after Darwin
Old 29 Jun 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3655842)   #154
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Same could be said of most teams. Teams like BJR, GRM, HRT, Nissan and Tekno grab the odd win, but most of of it is done by PRA and 888. As the biggest and best resourced teams, stands to reason. Should the drive in car #8 become available, then it would be highly sought after, and probably one of the hottest of those available.
Presuming BOC comes back for title sponsorship of course.

You might imagine the drivers' wages over at BJR are not on the same page as the likes of 888, WP etc..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Jun 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3655856)   #155
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Presuming BOC comes back for title sponsorship of course.

You might imagine the drivers' wages over at BJR are not on the same page as the likes of 888, WP etc..
The commercial side of things over at BJR seems quite stable. Bringing in new brands, nurturing them over the long-term, even getting some of them onto their DVS and KV8 campaigns. BOC has been with the team for 20 years now. I'd imagine they'd still be there next season in some capacity.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 02:07 (Ref:3655866)   #156
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The commercial side of things over at BJR seems quite stable. Bringing in new brands, nurturing them over the long-term, even getting some of them onto their DVS and KV8 campaigns. BOC has been with the team for 20 years now. I'd imagine they'd still be there next season in some capacity.
Sure but the deal operates year to year... which is why this discussion comes up every year. Judging by the other branding on the car, the BOC deal is arguably not as lucrative as the Freightliner support..
Old 10 Jul 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3657952)   #157
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Courtney stars, but will he stay?

Will JC head OS next year, good luck to him if he does
Old 11 Jul 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3658307)   #158
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a solid plan for JC. Base oneself in the UK, but stay below the days in/out threshold so he's still a non-domiciled resident for tax purposes.

Take advantage of the weak AUD, send cash back and have a great retirement in ~5 years back in Aus when the kids need to settle into high school.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 22:11 (Ref:3658418)   #159
Umai Naa
Veteran

Mr Noonan mentioned last night that the likelihood of a female being on the grid next year is strong.

Also mentioned that it may be enough to keep a manufacturer on the grid.

I think I speak for all when I say let's hope it's not Ms Gracie.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 23:15 (Ref:3658432)   #160
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Mr Noonan mentioned last night that the likelihood of a female being on the grid next year is strong.

Also mentioned that it may be enough to keep a manufacturer on the grid.

I think I speak for all when I say let's hope it's not Ms Gracie.
Ms de Silvestro is about the only female around recently that has shown that she can hustle these cars competitively

Wonder if this is a Nissan thing...
Old 12 Jul 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3658439)   #161
Umai Naa
Veteran

She'd be the most suitable candidate so far. Was allegedly not altogether content with chalking up last year's Bathurst attempt as just a 'learning year. Was the only one of the pair to properly wring the Pussy Wagon's neck, considering the car was a bit of a dog to start with. Hardly an ideal situation to be in, when Ms Gracie knew the track, and had experience in cars that are sort of the same.

Although Ms Angelo has been quicker than, and has seen better results than Ms Gracie this year, has not shown to be commercially viable for whatever reason. Some may draw very long bows, placing her at GRM in a Volvo next year, but the ships for manufacturer support, and the seat in question, have pretty much sailed on that one.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 01:26 (Ref:3658440)   #162
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
She'd be the most suitable candidate so far. Was allegedly not altogether content with chalking up last year's Bathurst attempt as just a 'learning year. Was the only one of the pair to properly wring the Pussy Wagon's neck, considering the car was a bit of a dog to start with. Hardly an ideal situation to be in, when Ms Gracie knew the track, and had experience in cars that are sort of the same.

Although Ms Angelo has been quicker than, and has seen better results than Ms Gracie this year, has not shown to be commercially viable for whatever reason. Some may draw very long bows, placing her at GRM in a Volvo next year, but the ships for manufacturer support, and the seat in question, have pretty much sailed on that one.
The challenge is that both Ms Gracie & Ms Angelo are not within a bulls roar of the front of the Dunlop series field. Ms Duggan has driven one in the Kumho series with limited success.

Wonder if HRT might take on a female pilot... imagine if the Supercar sponsorship of a female (rumoured to be $1m a season) were to appear on their cars. Might be the largest commercial partner in their group
Old 12 Jul 2016, 06:11 (Ref:3658463)   #163
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ms de Silvestro is about the only female around recently that has shown that she can hustle these cars competitively
I'd love to see Simona in the series. Certainly upper mid-pack from what we saw at Bathurst in an average car. Takes a really good driver to haul a bad car up by its bootstraps.

Certainly Mr Waters couldn't get his head around it, and he's without a doubt a strong talent.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3658663)   #164
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We already know women can participate in motorsport - hundreds do so every week. What the sport needs is someone who is genuinely there based on talent not gender, and is consistently top-10 competitive. I hope whoever Aaron was referring to is chosen carefully and has the right technical package to support them, lest the cause of women in Australian motorsport be set back another 10 years.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3658666)   #165
Umai Naa
Veteran

Without turning this into that Dasher thread, which female at this point in time, could potentially be competetive in the VASC based on their talent alone?

Besides Ms de Silvestro, perhaps Rahel Frey? Already fastest female around our Mount, in a factory Audi R8 GT3 car. Runs at the pointy end of the Asian R8 Cup, although it's hard to understand the deapth of talent in that series. Is it Pro, Pro-Am, or? But nonetheless, she's on the Audi payroll.

Would Ms Patrick take a significant paycut to play in our sandbox? Also stateside, is Ashley Freiberg. On the BMW Motorsport USA payroll, running in their GT3 machines this year.

Are there more out there? For now it seems, there isn't a whole lot to choose from, that could do the job and do it well.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3658675)   #166
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aside from Simona, Katherine Legge is the other female driver I think might be quite strong... It's a little hard to tell with her stuck in the DeltaWing though. I really don't know much about her tin-top experience, and she might be a little too kind to the cars to get on well in rough touring car racing.

Claudia Hurtgen has been solid for a while but admittedly not too spectacular. She was pretty strong in the Schubert Z4s around 2010 or so, but the last few seasons might have seen her past her prime... though maybe I shouldn't say that as I've not always been able to follow all the series she runs in.

Freiberg is a pretty good driver but I don't think she would be ready for something like V8SC yet. I see her as more of a growing silver ranked driver who has potential to grow further and faster.

With Danica's awareness I wouldn't want to see her in one of the cars, would just end up turning herself across the nose of others and then lots of team radio of her yelling "THAT GUY IS AN IDIOT." Not that she would ever bother with it anyway at the pay cut.

Jamie Chadwick and Sophia Floersch seem to have a lot of potential, but are years off from something like a V8SC drive.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3661741)   #167
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Kostecki to stick with Dunlop Series in 2017

A wise move i would imagine, however I have 2 REC's up for grabs at this stage

Interesting and probably valid sledge against the champion also
Old 29 Jul 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3661755)   #168
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Fair call, you'd think Frosty might have just walked down and had a word, but seems to be the PRA way to lose your **** and go straight to the journos.

Even some experienced guys have inadvertently baulked someone in quali, and he would have had a lot on his plate. I'd probably place some blame on the team as well, for not keeping him better informed.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 00:18 (Ref:3661757)   #169
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Fair call, you'd think Frosty might have just walked down and had a word, but seems to be the PRA way to lose your **** and go straight to the journos.

Even some experienced guys have inadvertently baulked someone in quali, and he would have had a lot on his plate. I'd probably place some blame on the team as well, for not keeping him better informed.
I have a recollection of Frosty taking out Taz at Bathurst a few years back, not just a baulk
Old 29 Jul 2016, 05:07 (Ref:3661785)   #170
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Impressively handled by Kostecki. That's a bit better attitude that I had expected from him, respect for that.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 07:28 (Ref:3661794)   #171
Umai Naa
Veteran

Sadly, if Mr Winterbottom had wandered down to the #18 pits to have a chat and perhaps offer some guidance to the newcomer he wouldn't have looked like a complete flog.

Same thing could've been applied to the incident with Mr Russell, who was 2 seconds a lap quicker, and just wanted to press on with things.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 07:52 (Ref:3661798)   #172
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Sadly, if Mr Winterbottom had wandered down to the #18 pits to have a chat and perhaps offer some guidance to the newcomer he wouldn't have looked like a complete flog.
Some would say you have to stick to what you're best at
Old 29 Jul 2016, 09:25 (Ref:3661811)   #173
Umai Naa
Veteran

I'll pay that!
Old 2 Aug 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3663132)   #174
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... the boys over at Foxtel's Inside Supercars seem to have a few things to say about 2017...

James Courtney to Nissan!
Todd Kelly to stay at Nissan
Nick Percat to BJR!
Jack LeBrocq to the 4th PRA car!
Scott Pye to nowhere..
Old 2 Aug 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3663133)   #175
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
So... the boys over at Foxtel's Inside Supercars seem to have a few things to say about 2017...

James Courtney to Nissan!
Todd Kelly to stay at Nissan
Nick Percat to BJR!
Jack LeBrocq to the 4th PRA car!
Scott Pye to nowhere..
Pither? assume that means he has gone, even though he just scored a pole and Superblacks best ever weekend