Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Oct 2000, 00:58 (Ref:45796)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When you look at seatbelts compared to other parts of the racing car, they really haven't changed that much over the years. Ok, the material would be of better quality these days, they are 3" wide, the fastening devices would be better, and we've figured out how to position them as to not break bakes in an accident. But the idea is still the same.

What sort of things do you think might improve safety in this most elementry of devices?

This may be completely moronic, but I've wondered for a while if there is any merit in a restraint device like those on rollercoasters. Not completely fixed like rollercoasters, but something that would give a little in a crash. With the invention of the airbag and HANS device, the technology to make something like this would probably be in place. Anyone has any thoughts on this, or a phone number for a mental institution?
Old 30 Oct 2000, 05:48 (Ref:45814)   #2
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belts DO give in a crash, actually. And surprisingly more than you would think ! It isn't uncommon for the persons torso to move 6 inches or more off of the seat in a hard frontal crash. F1 is now mandating 4 inch wide shoulder straps, rather than the traditional 3 inch.

A reletively new system I've seen uses two shoulder straps per side. In addition to the traditional strap, a second strap is located under the first, and runs down the driver back & attaches at his butt. The mounts for the main strap are then moved up a couple of inches.

What this does is simple : the new straps come into play in a rearward crash, and prevent the driver from ramping up the seat. The main straps, as currently mounted, do a poor job in this regard because of the mounting placement.

With the new, higher, main strap mounting, the driver is constrained better in a frontal crash, and doesn't risk spinal compression like he does with the traditional system.

So, yes, even the simple belt system has gone under improvements recently !
Old 4 Nov 2000, 13:15 (Ref:46663)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recently Roberto Moreno had to pit twice to have his seatbelts refastened because they came loose during the race. Do you think this was defective seatbelts, or was it because Moreno is smaller than the average pilot (although I would have thought his belts would be custom made for him)?

And I hope they never put airbags in those cars. An airbag in Gil's car this past weekend when that Kanaan/Servias/Andretti whoop-up happened would have spelled the end of Gil's championship hopes and possibly would have caused him to hit several other cars - esentially turning the Superspeedway into a pinball game. They are not really talking about putting airbags in Champ Cars are they?
Old 4 Nov 2000, 16:01 (Ref:46680)   #4
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most belt latch systems are of the spring loaded pin thru hole type. With enough useage, the side of the pin that rubs against the hole (the metal tab at the end of the shoudler straps and hip straps) will wear away a bit, and usually cause the normally straight sided pin to then be tapered. With an almost constant load of the strap against the pin, combined with a slight amount of constant wiggling due to the driver moving oh-so-slightly in his seat, the pin will be forced to work itself up against the spring and out of the hole. Basically, Roberto's seat belts were worn out !

No, CART isn't looking at airbags at the moment, but like all other anctioning bodies is keeping an eye open on any developments there.
Old 4 Nov 2000, 17:56 (Ref:46693)   #5
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belt stretch can be so great that a drivers head can hit the wheel. Hakkinens Australia crash was case in point.
Old 4 Nov 2000, 20:04 (Ref:46704)   #6
ma
Racer

ma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Believe it or not, but your neck alone can stretch that far ! That's why the HAN's device is being mandatory for CART & F1.
Old 4 Nov 2000, 20:51 (Ref:46713)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it only mandatory on ovals? I think I heard Moreno say that he was going to use it in road courses if they could find one that fitted him. That sounds as if it is not mandatory.

As for belt stretch, I remember Carpentier saying that in that accident when Gugelman's tire hit him four times (that I remember, he said), his head was pushed down below the steering wheel. I wondered how that oculd have been possible@! Which leads to this question: If Carpentier owuld have been wearing the HANS device that day, would he now be dead?