Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Nov 2005, 06:42 (Ref:1466163)   #1
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Caruso joins Decina Racing for 2006

Just released:

Quote:
Caruso to drive Decina Falcon in 2006

Speed FX Racing has appointed former Australian Formula 3 and National Karting champion Michael Caruso to pilot its Decina Falcon in the 2006 Fujitsu V8 Supercar Series.

The Decina Racing Falcon will be based in Sydney for 2006 and will be campaigned by Speed FX Racing, which officially returns to V8 Supercar racing after a year away from the sport.

After a year long hiatus Caruso is champing at the bit to get behind the wheel of another Morton backed racer, and is excited with the pedigree of the Decina BA Falcon which is currently fighting for the 2005 HPDC V8 Supercar Series championship.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 08:20 (Ref:1466200)   #2
v8babe
Racer

Australia
QLD
v8babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep just got the press release myself, can't wait for 2006. Go Michael!
Old 21 Nov 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1466214)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am very curious about this announcement.... Mr Caruso had a shot at the "big time" in the HYL Commodore...

Now you can have a go at the equipment if you like, but the general consensus from people who plug laptops into expensive data acquisition equipment seemed to be that Mr Caruso had issues driving such a low grip car, with such poor feel from the tyre.

Having been placed at HYL with the blessing of a few HMS insiders, who also knew of this apparent 'development area' it was little wonder the driver escaped to the relative comfort of F3 in 2004 when the expected results just werent there.

Unless SBR are providing setup support as in 2004, I struggle to see how this operation will be as successful as you might have thought....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Nov 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1466224)   #4
Rob 18
Racer

Rob 18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where does all this leave Warren Luff in 2006???
Old 21 Nov 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1466294)   #5
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe at Tasman
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 21 Nov 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1466309)   #6
dirttrack
Racer

dirttrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It leaves Warren Luff where he belongs 12 months in the development series in the best car by a mile and how many race wins to his name ?
Old 21 Nov 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1466396)   #7
v8babe
Racer

Australia
QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I am very curious about this announcement.... Mr Caruso had a shot at the "big time" in the HYL Commodore...

Now you can have a go at the equipment if you like, but the general consensus from people who plug laptops into expensive data acquisition equipment seemed to be that Mr Caruso had issues driving such a low grip car, with such poor feel from the tyre.

Having been placed at HYL with the blessing of a few HMS insiders, who also knew of this apparent 'development area' it was little wonder the driver escaped to the relative comfort of F3 in 2004 when the expected results just werent there.

Unless SBR are providing setup support as in 2004, I struggle to see how this operation will be as successful as you might have thought....
Nothing curious about the announcement at all GTR, those of us who know Mr Caruso Jnr and Mr Morton know exactly what's going on and that's all that really matters! You're more than welcome to keep making assumptions though ...

Oh, and as for using "HYL" and "big time" in the one sentance, what a laugh!
Old 21 Nov 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1466399)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8racer
Nothing curious about the announcement at all GTR, those of us who know Mr Caruso Jnr and Mr Morton know exactly what's going on and that's all that really matters! You're more than welcome to keep making assumptions though ...

Oh, and as for using "HYL" and "big time" in the one sentance, what a laugh!
So what will the driver's excuse be when he gets smacked by whoever 888 anoints to take the #27 car's seat then??
Old 21 Nov 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1466408)   #9
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mr Caruso will fit in nicely with Jim Morton. I have my doubts about Mr Faulkner being a good mentor to anyone.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1466767)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So what of Mr Luff.... was Mr Morton not a good mentor to him? Winless in the best car in that field as mentioned above looks a little odd to me...
Old 21 Nov 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1466862)   #11
v8babe
Racer

Australia
QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I think Mr Caruso will fit in nicely with Jim Morton. I have my doubts about Mr Faulkner being a good mentor to anyone.
Here here.

GTR, even back in the HYL days we knew you weren't the biggest fan of Mr Caruso, and even before he's had a chance in the Decina car you're already dishing out negative comments. Wait till the season starts in March mate.

As for Mr Luff not having any race wins this season, no point slagging off Mr Morton about it. Luff knows what to do behind the wheel, knew what was needed this year but it didn't quite happen... yet. They're both fantastic at what they do, but circumstances prevented them to excel this year. Move on.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1466908)   #12
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't need data to see that the Decina car was far from well set-up over most of the year. Mid corner push was absurd.

Having said that it's Warren job to give the feedback and they couldn't get it right.

PI will be interesting.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1466966)   #13
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HYL car was not a pacesetter in the early part of that year if I remember correctly. Is it true though that Mr Caruso was replaced at Winton in the HYL car by Steve Owen and the car suddenly appeared on Pole. Can't remember correctly I could be wrong
Old 21 Nov 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1466971)   #14
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I'm with GTR on this one. Stevey Owen's Winton performance put to bed any doubt in the car/team. And Mr. Caruso does have some issue's that will prevent hm front being consistently at the front.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 03:22 (Ref:1467082)   #15
Peter_Maxwwell
Racer

Australia
Peter_Maxwwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember remember the HYL cars never doing real well. I think for once everything synched up at the meeting where he put the thing on the front row. As you all well know, it's not just a good car, or good driver, or any one thing that puts a car up the front. Everything has to run smoothly and in sync to get a result.

If a team and driver don't work together for whatever reason, they will never win. Look at Lowndes....

Luffy had a couple of good showings this year, but most of the time, they were battling setups a bit, but there was always a small problem somewhere, whether it was with car, team or driver, that has stopped them from catching Canto and the like. DJR have had everything running in sync (team/driver/car) and hence why they have dominated the championship.

Morton and Caruso have been around each other for a long time (10 years) and work well together. The guys in the team have been around each other for a while too. As long as Michael can get comfortable in the car, I think he'll be a front runner.

I believe he has even had a run in the car already...
Old 22 Nov 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1467134)   #16
v8babe
Racer

Australia
QLD
You can't compare Steve Owen and Michael, one has WAY more experience than the other.

Think about this though... after the first two Konica rounds of 2004 (the ones Michael competed in - W.Pk and Clipsal) he was 7th outright and his HYL team mate, Mr Kurt Wimmer, was back in 29th!!! I'm sorry, who is it again they say can't drive?

Michael was never replaced, thank goodness he chose to leave when he did.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1467925)   #17
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Mr_Cool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caruso

Yeah i must say Mr. Caruso was given a bum deal with that HYL car, and if i'm not mistaken there was an engine change at Winton, perhaps getting your facts right before making accusations like that, Mr. Caruso will do good if he is given the right equipment i can not wait, as a flag marshall he is so good to watch going round the circuit, never many faults in his driving. He is ready for this and he is going to do great, Good luck Michael

Last edited by Mr_Cool; 22 Nov 2005 at 23:27. Reason: Entering word
Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:37 (Ref:1468988)   #18
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be a good driver, but has a huge ego.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 04:43 (Ref:1469004)   #19
Peter_Maxwwell
Racer

Australia
Peter_Maxwwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caruso??? Big ego???? I've never met a more down to earth guy!! You want ego, go talk to Skaife...
Old 24 Nov 2005, 05:26 (Ref:1469021)   #20
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
Might be a good driver, but has a huge ego.

As i have had the privlige of meeting Michael at the A1 GP at EC a few weeks ago, he was at the track at 7:00am cleaning his car, and was non hesitant in having a general chatter to me and even shook my hand, Ego = Ambrose ..
Old 24 Nov 2005, 05:39 (Ref:1469023)   #21
Raceonly
Racer

Australia
Raceonly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been extremely busy for the last couple of years rallying, so i have not had the chance to read this forum until recently. Yet nothing has changed. GTR Magic is once again at his best. Now i have not seen Caruso race for some time- it appears he has not being doing much of late? Or has he? I guess this is what I enjoyed about rallying, you don't have one or two know it all's telling the world their version of the "facts" of life. Not that I came across anyway.

But if I re-call correctly, they had the seat in that car set up for someone a lot taller than Michael. As a result, Michael could hardly see out of the car. And I seem to re-call that HYL car so stiffly sprung it more resembled a pogo stick. Speaking of HYL- what happened to that team anyway-if it was such a great operation, why did it close down? I doubt any of us is really aware of what went on behind closed doors, so maybe we should all stop making out that we do.

As for Carusing having an ego, he probably does. Never known a racing (or rally) driver who was fair dinkum who did not have one.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 05:48 (Ref:1469028)   #22
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
The height issue with HYL is off the wall, car was not set up and also Faulkner was not a believer in his talents, end of the day, Faulkner got his cash