Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 15 Aug 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1382472)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 GP costs of competition?

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs for a country to compete in A1 GP for a season?
Old 15 Aug 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1383076)   #2
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm interested as well. Only number i've heard was after the announcement of the new-zealand team, which was nz$10 million per year. That's about 5 million euro a year. As i said, read it on this forum, don't know if it is correct.

Seems to me that running-costs shouldn't be much more than F3000 was, since they are using a slightly faster engine. Unless of course testing will not be limited. High costs will be transportation, but i don't know if this is paid for or not. On the other hand, each race-winner will be getting a million dollar.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1383101)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's also the original cost to purchase the franchise, which I think varied from country to country (e.g. USA, UK etc. would be much more than Lebanon). Running costs will be offset by the prize money available at each race weekend (which I think I read was $1m per event).
Old 20 Aug 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1387123)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Lets hope the money thing doesn't spoil it like F1,hopefully the organisers have it planned so teams like Lebannon and New Zealand aren't at a disadvantage against the well funded teams from the super rich countries.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1387126)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see how they would be at a disadvantage - everyone has the same equipment
Old 20 Aug 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1387127)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree KB, although obviously the countries with the most ammount of money will still have the best teams running their cars.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1387133)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Yes but if it comes down to drivers ,the teams with the most $$$$ can get most experienced drivers,like the second string F1 drivers etc.The last geniune Kiwi F1 driver still around is Chris Amon.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1387800)   #8
Scribble
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
Scribble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think in its inaugural season, A1GP will have too much by way of drivers that should be in F1 - however, should the season go well, the second season may well see budding and/or former F1 drivers take to the track in the name of their country. Agreed that this will be a problem for those countries that don't have such a varied pack of drivers to choose from. On the other hand, it may well uncover previously unknown talent from places half the F1 bosses are unaware even exist!
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1387830)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would agree that we may see some ex F1 drivers racing in the series, although IMO it will be signifcantly less than what was probable thanks largely to the new GP masters series. A bit of a shame but then both series can co exist. IMO.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 05:57 (Ref:1387991)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think GP Masters will have any effect, Saleen - it has a minimum age of 45.

All the drivers in A1GP will be considerably younger than that.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 06:19 (Ref:1406336)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone come up with any conclusive "estimates" on what it costs to run this series?

The NZ Team have signed Fisher and Paykel (an appliance and health care manufacturer) up as their first sponsor. Apparently, the deal is for NZ$2 million, but am unsure if that is for the sponsorship term or annually.