Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Nov 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2988232)   #26
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Or in case of (mainly) European marshals coming over for events: "Corner worker you said? But you´re not actually working? Yeah, try fooling your mother, back you go!". Auch!
Ouch?!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2988352)   #27
scrflagr
Rookie

United States
scrflagr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Or in case of (mainly) European marshals coming over for events: "Corner worker you said? But you´re not actually working? Yeah, try fooling your mother, back you go!". Auch!
Made the mistake of using the "w" word when entering Canada for my first GP. Last flight of the night, spent the next 90 minutes explaining that working = volunteering. "No, they didn't buy my plane ticket." "No, they're not paying for my hotel." Lesson learned: since then I'm just "there for the GP".
Old 18 Nov 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2988449)   #28
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Re steeltoes: I might add that in North America we do not often respond to incidents the same way marshals do in Europe (especially at pro events, where fencing and paid response teams are the rule rather than the exception). Think "gazelle" rather than "rhino"!

In situations like this, standing-all-day comfort, breathability and light weight are more valuable.
keke
Sorry, I was supposed to have jumped in earlier

The reason 'locals' dress the way they do at events is they've optimised their kit. So turning up with your regular 'Donington/Silverstone/add your circuit' kit to Las Vegas at a hot Easter event just turns heads and lots of tutting - although my steeltoed boots did sort out the porta potty situation ;-)

I certainly thought Gazelle at Mid-Ohio this year - easily getting to the drivers seat of the GT2 Porsche that tried and succeeded to knock our wall down. Only once inside (with my whites and sensible shoes) did I realise it was still darned warm!

Seriously, don't take overalls, or your steel toe boots. Long sleeve white polo shirts (collars are good for sun protection) and white jeans or white industrial trousers are perfect.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 01:59 (Ref:2988609)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
my steeltoed boots did sort out the porta potty situation ;-)
Hope you didn't need to put them back on again afterwards...
Old 19 Nov 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2988821)   #30
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Seriously, don't take overalls
Tend to disagree, might be a bit warm but that´s where the icehat comes into play!
Old 16 Jan 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3012160)   #31
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my orange gloves proved very useful at last weekend's event in Taupo.

beautiful summer day that started in a t-shirt... then a light sweater, before the end of the day I was wearing a jacket on my flag point. 3 seasons in a day + cold winds and a threat of rain... gotta love New Zealand.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3012293)   #32
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, that's nothing. At Silverstone you can have all four seasons. And if you liked them this morning, you can have them again this afternoon!
Old 17 Jan 2012, 02:31 (Ref:3012652)   #33
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrflagr View Post
Made the mistake of using the "w" word when entering Canada for my first GP. Last flight of the night, spent the next 90 minutes explaining that working = volunteering. "No, they didn't buy my plane ticket." "No, they're not paying for my hotel." Lesson learned: since then I'm just "there for the GP".
One year, one of the American crew did that and got stuck in Immigration for 4 hours while they tried to sort things out. The previous year, F1 had actually hired and paid people to work corners due to issues between the various marshalling bodies. Therefore, Canada wanted to be sure that they got their share of worker earnings. But, it was back to volunteer status.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 05:55 (Ref:3014404)   #34
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger View Post
One year, one of the American crew did that and got stuck in Immigration for 4 hours while they tried to sort things out. The previous year, F1 had actually hired and paid people to work corners due to issues between the various marshalling bodies. Therefore, Canada wanted to be sure that they got their share of worker earnings. But, it was back to volunteer status.
I'll be sure to remember that when traveling to events overseas. Quite a lot of countries are strict about working as a foreigners. Many put a stam in the passport as a condition of entry: "employment prohibited"
Old 24 Jan 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3016017)   #35
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
finally purchased the last piece of the puzzle of my marshalling travel kit:

3M ear protection in orange:

http://www.kww.co.nz/media/catalog/p.../h/she6035.jpg These were the sturdiest set I found from among all the other cheap and flimsy looking kind, even those you see used by airline crew. And they're made in Sweden, holly crap, didn't think anything was made outside of China anymore

these were especially useful for the Formula 5000 races last weekend

Last edited by Stephen Green; 24 Jan 2012 at 13:54. Reason: Large image removed, the link works just as nicely.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3016045)   #36
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
unable to find a smaller pair?
(hint FAQ, image size)
Old 24 Jan 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3016145)   #37
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
unable to find a smaller pair?
(hint FAQ, image size)
If you click zoom in they're scaled to near enough correct size!

Old 24 Jan 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3016181)   #38
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
that's not the point
from the FAQ
Not everyone that comes to Tenths has a broadband connection. Yes there are still some people out there on dial up! Try to remember that if you are planning to display images in your posts. Keep them small both in visual size and also in data size.

If you want to display a pic that doesn't meet these requirements, then simply post a link instead of an image.

Why the hell TBF had to post a massive picture of something we are familiar with beats me. Currently displayed at something over 400*500mm on my screen FFS that's nearly twice real life size if I measure the ear cups they're 230mm top to bottom.

Used a bit of my 3g limit unnecessarily too
and you too
Old 24 Jan 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3016216)   #39
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
that's not the point
from the FAQ
Not everyone that comes to Tenths has a broadband connection. Yes there are still some people out there on dial up! Try to remember that if you are planning to display images in your posts. Keep them small both in visual size and also in data size.

If you want to display a pic that doesn't meet these requirements, then simply post a link instead of an image.

Why the hell TBF had to post a massive picture of something we are familiar with beats me. Currently displayed at something over 400*500mm on my screen FFS that's nearly twice real life size if I measure the ear cups they're 230mm top to bottom.

Used a bit of my 3g limit unnecessarily too
and you too

Laying down the law and being funny about it at the same time. Like your efficiency!
Old 24 Jan 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3016237)   #40
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I bought a set of Peltor SportTac hearing protectors last year (and no I didn't pay the market price for them!).

They are absolutely brilliant. Being active devices (there's a microphone on each can) you don't need to take them off to have a conversation (with the inevitable leaving one ear off while cars roar past); the fact they have an aux input too (separate cable required) means you can plugin a scanner or a radio handset (or a mobile phone, or MP3 player in a non-trackside scenario).

When the external volume exceeds a set threshold, they simply cut off the external microphones and become ear defenders.

Yep, they're a lot more expensive than ear plugs or over-the-head defenders, but I can wear them for a whole day and basically forget them. Plus they're handy for shutting out the kids at home sometimes, too
Old 24 Jan 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3016250)   #41
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my days of being dragged up hills by my geogrpahy teacher dad, take a complete change of clothing with you and leave it in the car. If you do get completely soaked, it will be nice and dry to change into at the end of the day.

I've only had to change like that once so far when marshalling. Middle of July and I'd sweated so much, my Probans had got wet from the inside.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3016277)   #42
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I bought a set of Peltor SportTac hearing protectors last year (and no I didn't pay the market price for them!).

They are absolutely brilliant. Being active devices (there's a microphone on each can) you don't need to take them off to have a conversation (with the inevitable leaving one ear off while cars roar past); the fact they have an aux input too (separate cable required) means you can plugin a scanner or a radio handset (or a mobile phone, or MP3 player in a non-trackside scenario).

When the external volume exceeds a set threshold, they simply cut off the external microphones and become ear defenders.

Yep, they're a lot more expensive than ear plugs or over-the-head defenders, but I can wear them for a whole day and basically forget them. Plus they're handy for shutting out the kids at home sometimes, too
Theyre actually quite reasonably priced for what they are. Decent Peltors cost £20 anyway. I've never thought of an active set so I may just have to treat myself to a set!
Old 25 Jan 2012, 04:42 (Ref:3016592)   #43
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Peltor are really good but I do think they are overpriced.

I got to test drive one of their new pieces last year. The microphone headset can jack into several types of radios. It had a jawbone microphone and a volume control for external noise. That means you can still hear the cars go past and hear a "Boom!" if one doesn't quite make it but your primary auditory attention is on the radio communications. It's a nice safety feature. But it is way, way expensive. Track communicators also told me I sounded like I was talking with my head in a barrel. Our race control room is small, but not that small....
Old 4 Apr 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3053448)   #44
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got my new gloves for this season, my old Ringers "Corner Worker" gloves had finally worn through (close on 10 years services out them) so I ordered two new pairs of Ringers.

One set of Extrication Hybrid and one set of thermal Roughnecks.

Ordered them from Nimbus Motorsport in Driffield. The size of Roughnecks I ordered were out of stock and I was notified of this the next day by Brian Wattam who offered a choice of waiting or delivering a different size. If I took a different size (I went for smaller as I'm right on the difference of sizes) and Brian offered to replace with the larger if they didn't fit and would also send replacements without the normal shipping charge. In the end the smaller size was on the tight side, but I'm not sending them back as they will make an excellent spare pair for people to borrow.

So folks, if you're in the market for new gloves then check out Nimbus, I can highly recommend them for customer service.

Oh, and the gloves are on this page: http://www.nimbusmotorsport.com/Prod...p?category=266
Old 4 Apr 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3053723)   #45
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add to the above. Nimbus give a fairly hefty discount if you say you a marshal think it works out between 25 and 33% depending which you get.

Ringers barrier extrication gloves are well worth a look, comfortable, waterproof and heat proof.