Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Dec 2007, 08:04 (Ref:2080342)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your highlight of the 2007 season?

Was it...

Lowndes' second (and still emotional) Bathurst victory?
Garth Tander winning the championship?
Lee Holdsworth's unlikely victory at Oran Park?
Ford's Bathurst 1-2-3?

Or something completely different?

For me it was Garth Tander. He's been at it for 10 years now, and all he had to show for it was 1 Bathurst victory. Now he's the V8 Supercar Champion!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 3 Dec 2007, 08:18 (Ref:2080360)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Homebush announcement was a highlight
Old 3 Dec 2007, 08:24 (Ref:2080366)   #3
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well personally for me it was Cam McConville blowing a motor in front of us then comming up for a chat (don't have to tell the details for the 1000 time).

and on the racing front it was the last round especially the last race and the last 15 laps at Bathurst (except for the 1-2-3).
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:18 (Ref:2080427)   #4
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This'll test the brain cells....

Courtney's pole at Clipsal.
The dice between Richo Jnr and Frosty at Bathurst trading lap records.
Seeing ten cars take the green lights at Oran Park with everyone else in the pits.
Race 3 at The Island.
Tander and Rickster hitting each other in Bahrain.
The return to form of DJR.
Frosty's qualifying speed and that sensational Cobra livery.
Tander's Championship. Congrats!
At last a sensible points system.
Almost live qualifying on TV.
Getting a cheap house in Cowes for next year's 500 at Phillip Island.

But best of all seeing sizzle at Oran Park when it was raining and 7 degrees!!!
Just a tad colder than Darwin eh?
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:18 (Ref:2080429)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the last few laps of Bathurst were pretty good, espeacilly the moment No 17 hit the lead

race three at Phillip Island was pretty good also.

Winton was probably my highlight though, suddenly the HRT/HSVDT were beatable
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2080434)   #6
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garth Tander winning the championship.

He deserved to win the title last year but bad results at Sandown and Bathurst cost him the title.

Under similar circumstances this year (DNF Sandown, Bathurst) he managed to clinch the title... the number of firsts obviously got him over the line.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:25 (Ref:2080436)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
last 10 laps of bathurst. last 10 laps of phillip island
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:27 (Ref:2080438)   #8
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, the Sandown-Bathurst double for Craig and Jamie was a highlight, as was the tense finale round with Garth coming out a deserved winner as well as the new champion. A champ who actually wins races again, we've been missing one of those for a couple of years...
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:38 (Ref:2080450)   #9
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst.
Brights late pitting/ then he, Ingall, Skaife and the wall, Frosty's big lose across Chase, the swapping of the lead as rain played a part, the Ford 1,2,3, and that 888 took out the double and 2 Bathursts in a row, neatly polished off with a Toll Car1 DNF to help 888's championship chances........

The BEST day of the season, Hands Down.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:55 (Ref:2080465)   #10
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Feeling when Tander won the championship in PI - I didnt think id shout that loudly

Lee's win at Oran park was a beauty!
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:46 (Ref:2080510)   #11
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You all seemed to miss the point that the first & second place-getters in the Championship actually had both multiple race and round wins in 2007.

Making either of them far more worthy of the term Champion, than the boy who vacated the title.......
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:50 (Ref:2080515)   #12
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shane Van Gosbergen coming in half way through the season from open wheelers with no race milege in v8s just some testing on one track
And scoring points in every sprint round.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 11:07 (Ref:2080524)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst and R3 at Phillip Island for me.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2080550)   #14
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All great highlights, the whole season was a cracker.
For me R3 P.I. yesterday, GT finally getting that elusive championship with a 2 point break, what a finish !
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:47 (Ref:2080594)   #15
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
No question about it

BATHURST 1-2-3 for the Oval

Runner up was the T-Shirt I saw at PI. I cannot say exactly what it said (and risk moderation) but it rhymes with Stencil Wick Rick
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:47 (Ref:2080595)   #16
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
But best of all seeing sizzle at Oran Park when it was raining and 7 degrees!!!
Just a tad colder than Darwin eh?
Cheers AP, still can't believe we didn't even have a beer because we couldn't get our hands out of our pockets, it was nearly as cold as Bathurst in 03.

For me it was the way the championship ended, when qualifying was over I had a terrible sense of de-ja-vue. To the credit of all players it was clean and the best man won.

The other highlight for me was the performance of Jamie Whincup, a great bloke with a great attitude. I still shake my head that Tasman dithered so much he went elsewhere.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 13:46 (Ref:2080652)   #17
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20
Shane Van Gosbergen coming in half way through the season from open wheelers with no race milege in v8s just some testing on one track
And scoring points in every sprint round.
That is a great effort - how did i miss that
Old 3 Dec 2007, 21:56 (Ref:2080968)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shane did a supreme effort - Oran Park debut in the wet, no windsreen wiper, 3rd fastest lap time, limited Supercar mileage.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2080970)   #19
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The other highlight of the year: Pro Racer learning to proof-read and spell-check posts of original work, rather than saying what others have said in a slightly different manner.

Oh whoops.....that hasn't happened yet....and with only 27 days of 2007 left, time is running out alarmingly quick
Old 3 Dec 2007, 23:22 (Ref:2081022)   #20
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
The other highlight of the year: Pro Racer learning to proof-read and spell-check posts of original work, rather than saying what others have said in a slightly different manner.

Oh whoops.....that hasn't happened yet....and with only 27 days of 2007 left, time is running out alarmingly quick
He did do one which was original, actually contained some wit and only one minor grammatical error.

BTW, check your sig - "happened to have happen ..." might need some proof reading too ...
Old 3 Dec 2007, 23:36 (Ref:2081028)   #21
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlights for me...

Last 10 laps of Bathurst (and the winner of course);
Last 10 laps of the Island;
The point system;

In all the best season for a long long time. Great driving, great championship battle, varied winners and a few surprises.

A great year!
Old 4 Dec 2007, 00:38 (Ref:2081055)   #22
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that the last 2hrs of Bathurst were the highlight, the car control displayed by those top guys in the last few laps especially was just superhuman.

Frosty's pole lap on the Saturday was pretty good also.

In a strange way, I think that Rick's Clipsal 500 win was also a 'highlight', as it was an impressive drive, and knowing that he had the capability to drive like that made PI 06 seem a little less unjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Garth Tander winning the championship.

He deserved to win the title last year but bad results at Sandown and Bathurst cost him the title.

Under similar circumstances this year (DNF Sandown, Bathurst) he managed to clinch the title... the number of firsts obviously got him over the line.
Maybe this isn't the right thread to discuss it, but I can't believe that so many people bang on about Tander deserving to win the 06 Championship. He was outclassed by his team mate in Adelaide, then jumped the start in race 1 at Pukekohe, couldn't even make the top 3 in any races at home (Barbagallo), got himself excluded from qualifying at Winton, broke the power steering at Oran Park, didn’t finish Sandown, didn’t even drive at Bathurst, crashed all by himself in race 3 on the Gold Coast, jumped the start in race 3 at Bahrain, dropped at cylinder in race 1 at Symmons, had a ‘fuel feed issue’ in race 2 at PI...... and earned himself a drive through penalty for ignoring the bad sportsmanship flag in that same race.........

Sure he was fast, but unlike 2007, I really don’t think his 2006 campaign ‘deserved’ a championship win.

Also, he was 4th at Sandown 2007, not a DNF. It was lucky that the officials ignored the fact that his pit lane limiter light wasn’t working during his drive through; otherwise he probably would have been a DNF.....
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 01:20 (Ref:2081068)   #23
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BATHURST 2007 from CL & JW winning to the last 10 or so laps to Frosty Pole lap to FORD 1,2,3.

SANDOWN 500 Ford & T8 victory

A new Champion in 07 and a deserved Champ in GT.

The final race at the Island.

R2 in Bahrain ( We ALL know why )

The Winton round with JW coming home ahead of GT

The emergance of FPR up the front of the feild and there and Frosty speed.

The COBRA paint scheme that FPR used from Bathurst on.

The reamergence of DJR.

There are more but I can not remember.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 4 Dec 2007, 02:11 (Ref:2081090)   #24
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thursday to Sunday at Bathurst Exculding the last 15 Laps, Frosty and Richo were on fire all weekend. Sure it was nice that Ford went 1-2-3, but there was a possability that it could even been the First 5 without the Rain and all 5 from Different Teams.

Bahrain was good to see that the Bad luck that effected FPR changes when the leave the country, it doesn't effect their race results.

Eastern Creek Race 3 was just a Bottler to watch live, great racing from about 6 guys.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 03:15 (Ref:2081110)   #25
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last 15 laps of Bathurst and race 3 at Phillip Island.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006