Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 20 Sep 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1412579)   #1
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A1 GP Safety issues? Brands Hatch is Quick

Now apparently Bernie doesnt like Brands Hatch for F1 because of its high speed corners, politics and the pre-madonna f1 drivers. I was wondering if the A1GP series organizers have taken some (if any) precautionary measures to assure the safety of the A1GP drivers?

I mean these cars are no where as exotic as F1 but they seem as fast. Infact they'll probably have higher average speed than F1 cars. One positive aspect though is the cars are said to be 'equal' and 'exactly the same', i.e. if Maktoum is to be believed.

I am expecting some amateurish, exciting but hopefully not emotional, displays of driving during the first race. I hope the safety regulations are as good as F1. What if it rains?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1412603)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They have done extensive work at Brands Hatch to bring the GP circuit up to scratch, icluding reprofiling Westfield to allow more run off. Hawthorns' run off has been improved too. These changes (amongst others) have allowed Brands GP to gain a Grade 2 licence and the race take part. The FIA granted this licence a few days ago. Of course a lot was done to the Indy part too for ChampCars.

Not quite sure what your dig at F1 is ("pre-madonna" drivers, but improved safety), but as Sheikh Maktoum says, this isn't F1 it is different
I doubt the A1GP cars will have a "higher average speed". IIRC they are a few seconds slower than GP2 car - not that this matters.

The safety will be up to scratch, the cars are designed by Lola and have undergone much safety testing, as outlined on the A1GP site:
Roll structure.
Impact testing.

The cars will be exactly the same. However each team will have different strengths. Some will be better than others. In addition some teams will have drivers who can set up their car better than others (and that might not be the race driver who does the setting up).

If it rains the cars will run on wet tyres:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1GP website
In wet conditions, a specially-developed rain tyre has been carefully selected to cope with monsoon conditions while being tough enough to complete a race distance on a drying track. The compound, construction and pattern design are unique and perfectly tailored to A1 Grand Prix providing the best possible product for this extreme application.
The sporting and race format details aren't fully up to date on the wesbite, but most of the technical stuff is there.

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Sep 2005 at 23:08. Reason: link
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1412666)   #3
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by freud
I mean these cars are no where as exotic as F1 but they seem as fast. Infact they'll probably have higher average speed than F1 cars.
Why??
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1412672)   #4
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Now apparently Bernie doesnt like Brands Hatch for F1 because of its high speed corners, politics and the pre-madonna f1 drivers. I was wondering if the A1GP series organizers have taken some (if any) precautionary measures to assure the safety of the A1GP drivers?

I mean these cars are no where as exotic as F1 but they seem as fast. Infact they'll probably have higher average speed than F1 cars. One positive aspect though is the cars are said to be 'equal' and 'exactly the same', i.e. if Maktoum is to be believed.

I am expecting some amateurish, exciting but hopefully not emotional, displays of driving during the first race. I hope the safety regulations are as good as F1. What if it rains?
I'm left wandering of this is the most condescending or clueless post I,ve read on here.

Why would the average speed be higher? The A1GP gives away 300-400HP at about the same car weight. How could they possibly get a higher lap speed?

And how could such an amazing feat occur with "amateurish, exciting but hopefully not emotional, displays of driving"?

And what ever led you to believe that safety was the real reason behind Bernie moving F1 away? When has it ever really been the issue in the last 20 years?

And what would make you think that Lola, a very reputable manufacturer of top line racing cars, would not make a chassis which ad safety comensurate with it's performance?

P.S. It's prima donna (as in the spoilt brat syndrome) not pre-madonna (as in before the US singer)
Old 22 Sep 2005, 03:59 (Ref:1413606)   #5
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Umbrellas?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1413772)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
pre-madonna f1 drivers
I think 'Holiday' was her first hit, so that's before 1982/3 then?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1413785)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Primadonna

Quote:

(pree-muh, prim-uh DON-uh) A vain and overly sensitive person who is temperamental and difficult to work with: “That Jenkins girl is a good gymnast, but she certainly is a prima donna.”

In opera, the prima donna is the principal female soloist. From Italian, meaning “first lady.” so, it really is an abomination to use this word to describe spoiled racing car brats....cough, cough!...looking forward to the Australian round
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1413874)   #8
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore

The safety will be up to scratch, the cars are designed by Lola and have undergone much safety testing, as outlined on the A1GP site:
Roll structure.
Impact testing.
Well said. Lola is a market leader because safety is a primary consideration in relation to chassis design and construction. The A1GP tests were carried out at the Cranfield Impact Centre http://www.cicl.co.uk/racing.htm Cranfield Impact Centre is one of the world's leading FIA approved test centres and regularly conducts tests for many of the F1 teams.