Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Oct 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1443185)   #1
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
A1 GP is great, TV coverage is Poor!

Im a big fan of A1GP, and its a series with a lot of promise... but they really need to put it on terrestrail TV so those of us who dont have sky can watch it!

Its annoying that to watch the races I`d have to buy sky and them pay 30-40 odd quid per month to have the sports channels...

Are there any FTA channels on any of europes satellites that show it?
Old 25 Oct 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1443198)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you're in the UK, you'll have to watch it on Sky.

That's the way it is.

If you don't like it - I'm afraid it's tough really.

I'd like an Aston Martin, but have to make do without one.

But, yes, I have enjoyed watching it on Sky - live.

I believe there may be a terrestrial highlights package in the near future though.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1443278)   #3
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in Canada and have been frustrated for weeks at not being able to view these races. Would it be legal to post asking someone to tape them and courier them around to me? Also -- I heard rumour that Antoine Besette was being considered at one time for this series - has anyone heard anything about that?
Old 25 Oct 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1443292)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im with KB on this, pay your money and take your choice. Thats how I see this, yes I know its not always as clear cut as that for everyone but thats just hard luck isnt it, besides theres live video stream online so its not as though those without Sky cannot view the racing in the UK. Im very happy with Sky Sport's coverage of A1 GP so far, the ammount of coverage the series gets on Sky would surely be greater than what it would receive on terrestial TV. Only F1 has the draw to show live qualifying on terrestial tv, no other racing series thats aired on terrestial TV has qualifying shown live. If A1 GP went over to ITV or the BBC we may well get live race day coverage, but would we get live qualifying too? Doubtful. IMO.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1443301)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
Would it be legal to post asking someone to tape them and courier them around to me?
I'm afraid there can be copyright issues in asking for this (or indeed offering such tapes) in a public forum...
Old 25 Oct 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1443308)   #6
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is any pay per view in Canada at all for these races, is there?
Old 25 Oct 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1443342)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unfortunately according to the A1GP website there is no coverage in Canada at the moment.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1443439)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which means you should be able to watch it via www.a1gp.com as they stream the race live to people without coverage

And i said this in another thread - terrestrial tv would get to more people, but the coverage would be dire. they can't devote enough quality time to it, whereas sky can. It's that simple really...
Old 25 Oct 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1443453)   #9
Garson007
Rookie

South Africa
Cape Town, South Africa
Garson007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Countries covered by A1GP.com online streaming: Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and USA. This is controlled via internet IP address.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1443623)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Im with KB on this, pay your money and take your choice. Thats how I see this, yes I know its not always as clear cut as that for everyone but thats just hard luck isnt it, besides theres live video stream online so its not as though those without Sky cannot view the racing in the UK. Im very happy with Sky Sport's coverage of A1 GP so far, the ammount of coverage the series gets on Sky would surely be greater than what it would receive on terrestial TV. Only F1 has the draw to show live qualifying on terrestial tv, no other racing series thats aired on terrestial TV has qualifying shown live. If A1 GP went over to ITV or the BBC we may well get live race day coverage, but would we get live qualifying too? Doubtful. IMO.
Very true. F1 & BTCC are currently the only motor racing shown the same day ,let alone live,on british terrestial TV including the use
less new freeview digital services.
I have Sky,and my only complaint with them is I object to paying for what I never watch,eg:football! They are currently advertsing new
packages where you only pay for the channels you want.I would like to see the the sport divided the same way or a PPV system.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1443659)   #11
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Very true. F1 & BTCC are currently the only motor racing shown the same day ,let alone live,on british terrestial TV including the use
less new freeview digital services.
BBC also show Moto GP live or same day at least.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1443665)   #12
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
BBC also show Moto GP live or same day at least.
Sorry,I said MOTOR RACING. Motorcycling is another sport.Im sure Rugby fans would be agreaved if you told them there was plenty of soccer?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1443861)   #13
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I know plenty of football fans who object to the use of the word soccer at all. But anyway I take your point (although i don't agree) and I'm sure you see mine.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1443920)   #14
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sky

I don't have sky and apart from being at brands hatch at round 1, haven't seen any more A1GP unfortunately.

Does sky have any interactive "red button" services during the race coverage, e.g. choosing cameras in the race? driver profiles? race stats.?

Had NTL cable but the service was shocking so cancelled it, need planning permission for a sky dish on our road aswell !
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1444522)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is no interactive options with the A1GP since Sky take the World Feed for the coverage.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1444623)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Sorry,I said MOTOR RACING. Motorcycling is another sport.Im sure Rugby fans would be agreaved if you told them there was plenty of soccer?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:24 (Ref:1444630)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
How are they going to fill Laguna Seca if they only have a little obsure coverage in the US (and none in Canada). Add to that Scott Speed has been dissapointing
Old 27 Oct 2005, 01:12 (Ref:1444658)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Coudnt agree more. Motorcycle racing is part of Motor Racing, its a differnt form of Motor Racing sure but its still Motor Racing.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 02:32 (Ref:1444683)   #19
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well coverage in Asia went from live to 24 hours delayed for the Estoril round (Star Sports) a bit of a worry since China and India account for a fair proportion of the potential audience...fortunately Eastern Creek is back live again so all is well. Still, did reduce my enjoyment of what was fantastic racing (feel sorry for those of you who have not seen it at all).

I agree with the concern about how they are going to fill Laguna, crowds at both Eurospeedway and Estoril looked very thin...It seems promotion of each race is very inconsistent, hopefully Eastern Creek will be better.

I think the quality of the TV production has improved greatly since Brands, the timing data and boost button status were easy to follow and interesting. For example is exciting when a driver with 5 boosts left is trailing a driver with only one left with about five laps remaining...
Old 27 Oct 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1444807)   #20
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Coudnt agree more. Motorcycle racing is part of Motor Racing, its a differnt form of Motor Racing sure but its still Motor Racing.
Sorry to be pedantic,but motor sport including racing is for vehicles with 4 or more wheels(from karts to trucks)and comes under the contol of the FIA (MSA in UK)
2 & 3 wheelers come under FIM (ACU in UK)
Powerboats & jet skis UIM
Air racing & aerobatics FAI
also lawnmowers,Swamp buggies,Ski-doos,hovercraft, could be called motor racing in the sense that they use a motor I guess.All are banned fron the Olympics.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1447558)   #21
farooqaziz
Rookie

Pakistan
vehari
farooqaziz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Watched It All

I Am In Pakistan & We Saw It On Espnstar , Feel Sorry For U People. U Can Consult Espn
Old 31 Oct 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1447991)   #22
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far I've been able to see all of the A1gp , the only draw back for us down here its on at 1am / 3 am. early morning hours and it free to air.The next one in australia I think it will be late afternoon. I guess were lucky. Rob
Old 31 Oct 2005, 04:50 (Ref:1448055)   #23
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob,

Do TV3 down there show qualifying, and will coverage from Eastern Creek be delayed/interrupted by the news (or would it finish by then?).
Old 31 Oct 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1448172)   #24
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kiwi3 Not to my knowledge mate , each time Ihave watched they come on talk about the up comming race then show the sprint race then stay on air till the other race starts. But like I said before its early early morn, so I'm kinda glad whenthey come down this end of the world. The time zone is abit kinder. The aussie race they keep going till it finishes, The qualifying could be shown not sure yet Iwill let you know in a few days. I dont think there will be any interuptions but who knows with tv coverages no days aye. Rob
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1449394)   #25
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
yes you pay u get!

but its stupid for the organisers who want to promote and create new fans limiting their target audiance...

i wouldnt spend 30-40 per month to see a couple of races...thats how much sky packages are these days right? with sky sp1,2,3