Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1658210)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
A1 GP to visit Manchester

As part of the Sky Festival, the A1GP is going to be paying a visit to Manchester and reportedly there's going to be a demo on a street circuit through the city.

More info here

Looks like it might be fun!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1658246)   #2
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does sound good, im suprised this is the first we have heard of it, its not far away, just a few weeks. Well worth a visit if you live there! A1GP cars echoing round the streets of Manchester should be impressive!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1658480)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah it does sound very good, shame its a bit far away for me though. Still it will all help boost the profile of A1 GP ahead of the 2006/07 season which can only be a good thing.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1658555)   #4
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a phone call from Phoenix rescue a few days ago asking if I could help witha demo in Manchester in mid August. I had to turn them down as I would be away on holiday. They didn't say what it was at the time but it could well be the A1GP demo. It would have been good to see it, but i'm not too disheartened as i'm marshalling at the Zandvoort round in late September / early October!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1658577)   #5
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Yeah it does sound very good, shame its a bit far away for me though. Still it will all help boost the profile of A1 GP ahead of the 2006/07 season which can only be a good thing.
Likewise for me, hopefully it will get media coverage though. Maybe A1GP website will show a clip or two. Really hope A1GP continues to grow and prosper, it deserves it.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1659175)   #6
georges1
Rookie

georges1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats Is Awsome A1gp In The Streets Wow.....lucky The Mancherster's People...........that Wil Be Huge Coverage For Sky
Old 20 Jul 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1661105)   #7
georges1
Rookie

georges1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea who and which teams will run in mancherster?
Old 29 Jul 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1667383)   #8
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Albert Square in Manchester is being closed off and we should have 6 cars running. We start setting up a week on Tuesday, the 8th August.
Loads of famous Manchester Celebs are expected, so if you are a footy fan as well you should be pretty happy
Rocking and with the CATMAN

Last edited by Hazza; 30 Jul 2006 at 05:53.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1667677)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
There is now a thread in Trackside to discuss if you're going to the event. This one can be more about the event itself and its advantages as far as possible

Excellent promotion by Sky and A1GP to work on this. We saw the publicity and huge crowds the F1-run in London got a few years ago; and whilst I doubt this will get the same reaction, I am sure it'll teach a few people that A1GP is a very exciting series, and hopefully convince a few to start following it, who may not previously have realised it existed.

We've been saying since the outset that A1GP needs more promotion. This is a major step in enacting our wishes.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1667993)   #10
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry venue is "exchange! square
Forget Monaco. A1 Grand Prix is coming to Manchester and this is a definite must-see. Sky Sports is teaming up with A1GP to bring you and the family a thrilling event. Get up-close and personal with some of the world’s top cars and drivers as you walk through a real-life pit lane and racing paddock. The event then gears up to a spectacular demonstration of A1 cars roaring through a city centre circuit guaranteed to charge Manchester up with the energy that can only be A1GP.

Tickets not required for this event – see you there

Sky Digital Channel No. 401-404 & 408 Hours for the event Venue Date Time
Exchange Square Fri 11th August 10:00 – 20:00
Exchange Square Sat 12th August 10:00 – 20:00
Exchange Square Sun 13th August 10:00 – 12:00
15:30 – 19:00
Streets of Manchester Parade Sun 13th August 14:00 – 15:00

For further information click on the links below.
The nearest metro station to this event is Shudehill.
Sky Sports
http://www.skyfestival.co.uk/skysports.php
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1669117)   #11
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
autosport.com has just published the road layout. It's a complete circuit from Exchange Square, past the Arndale, up to the Town Hall, down to and along Deansgate then up Market Street. Should be good if a little bumpy!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1681331)   #12
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Just got back from Manchester - I was in for another reason that started at 2, so annoyingly wasn't there for the demo itself, but was able to check out the paddock and walk the track.
Looked like a very nice track - and hopefully did raise the profile of the series, there were a number of people who were asking "What's going on?", but I think once told they all stayed.A ll of a sudden at around half1 the crowds started to build so imagine it would have been well supported.
Also I was pleased to eventually get my first glimpse of the cars - roll on April next year to see them in action properly!
Only got half a dozen photos or so, but if you want to look they're here.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1681383)   #13
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Cunningham drove the Australia car, which might mean he's in with a shout of a drive next season (but then again, John O'Hara was in Team Malaysia's car so maybe not...!)
Old 13 Aug 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1681403)   #14
ZytekWorker
Rookie

ZytekWorker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back from the Manchester... WOW! Even though I was working and based in the area before the start line it looked great from where I was.

Well done to Sky/A1 and all involved on a great demo of these cars.

I think there's possibly a few people who won't be able to hear a lot for a few days though. Robbie's burn-out on the start line with the front wheels locked looked great!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1681443)   #15
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Neil Cunningham drove the Australia car, which might mean he's in with a shout of a drive next season (but then again, John O'Hara was in Team Malaysia's car so maybe not...!)
I'd say that Neil Cunnigham's chances of driving for Australia are on a par with O'Hara racing for Malaysia, given that Cunningham is from New Zealand.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1681540)   #16
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I'd say that Neil Cunnigham's chances of driving for Australia are on a par with O'Hara racing for Malaysia, given that Cunningham is from New Zealand.
Oops... well we did see an Italian racing for Pakistan and an 'American' racing for Lebanon last season, so you never know
Old 14 Aug 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1681803)   #17
madmed
Rookie

madmed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Oops... well we did see an Italian racing for Pakistan and an 'American' racing for Lebanon last season, so you never know
Tocaccelo raced for Pakistan because Adam khan was injured and ther was many pakistani fans in durban.
Graham Rahal's father (bobby rahal: 3 time champ car champion and Indy 500 winner) immigrated to Usa at the first lebanese war. (Shakira, Omar sherif and Salma hayek are also from Lebanon)
Old 14 Aug 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1681936)   #18
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the pics I saw, didn't look to busy and only looked one or two people deep in places?
Old 14 Aug 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1682010)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to the figures on the A1 site there were around 25,000 people in total. Not a bad crowd for this type of event. IMO.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1682026)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hms well let's knock a few of that for starters because they'll no doubt be adding a few on there

With some of the pics I saw, it just looked pretty empty. Having nto been there, that's all I could judge (and comment!) from.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1682061)   #21
madmed
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Hms well let's knock a few of that for starters because they'll no doubt be adding a few on there

With some of the pics I saw, it just looked pretty empty. Having nto been there, that's all I could judge (and comment!) from.
Maybe you will change your mind if you look at this:
http://www.crash.net/gallery~cid~83~...ch_string~.htm
Old 14 Aug 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1682075)   #22
Suze
Veteran

England
Yes and no - things like this http://www.crash.net/picture_view~pi...ch_string~.htm and this http://www.crash.net/picture_view~pi...ch_string~.htm still don't make it look too busy!
Old 14 Aug 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1682077)   #23
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
When I arrived there was a decent crowd (about 100) just around the paddock area. I wandered the circuit and it did strike me as empty - but it did suddenly get busy, and when I left at half1 there was at least a thousand people just around the staging area. Might only have been 2 or 3 people deep - but around the full length of the circuit, 25k might not be a mammoth over estimate.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1682086)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Fair enough...I've only had people's pics to judge by! How long was the circuit?
Old 14 Aug 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1682104)   #25
madmed
Rookie

The circuit was 1.5 km length
http://www.crash.net/picture_view~pi...ch_string~.htm