Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Jan 2004, 19:25 (Ref:849497)   #1
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC Pomeroy Trophy 21-2-2004

Who's going to the VSCC's Pomeroy Trophy meeting at Silverstone on Saturday 21-2-2004? Or will people be going to the International Historic Motorsport Show at Stoneleigh instead? The VSCC will have a stand there and it'll be interesting to see what is there.

The VSCC will also be holding one of their Marshals Training sessions on the morning of the Pom with input both from a Clerk of the Course and from a driver ( should be interesting to get their perspective on the use of blue flags etc.).

Let's hope for better weather than last year's fog!

Duncan
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:39 (Ref:850287)   #2
Swift-1929
Rookie

Swift-1929 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duncan,

I hope to be along for the training. Who knows, I may then be allowed to wave a few flags at people this year!
Annabel will be away and this would be my first 'POM'. I hear warm clothing is the order of the day!

Kev
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:00 (Ref:850316)   #3
BugEyed
Racer

Kevin

We look forward to seeing you at the Pom, and sorry to hear that Annabel won't be there (even if she'll be having fun ).

For the unitiated, this event is "unusual" as it mixes cars from the sublime to the ridiculous (how many wives/husbands/partners know ), and mixes driving test skills with circuit lappery.

How can anybody resist being a temporary spectator as a diversion on the way to Stoneleigh?

Duncan
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:32 (Ref:850355)   #4
Swift-1929
Rookie

I have heard it's a quiet a show. Vintage cars and moderns competeing on an equal footing! I'm looking forward to it.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 20:52 (Ref:851551)   #5
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
POM 2004

Just arrived from you know where...

Pomeroy Trophy is for me the new 'must do' event; that is after 14 unsuccessful goes at winning the Lakeland.

This year we're lighter so hopefully faster and maybe braver...195 bhp and 600kg!

Incidentally I trust PVMW will be bringing the promised Rover SDi and not the Nash..about time he came and played big boys rules

Well done all those who've made the move

RT

Last edited by relativtortoise; 26 Jan 2004 at 21:00.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 21:16 (Ref:851571)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to let you know - and this is not advertising, honest!

If any of our new members at the Pom want to meet up, I'll be manning the Collectors Carbooks shop in the industrial units behind Woodcote (outside the ticketed area of Silverstone).

(Drive round the northern circuit ring-road and look for the familiar green book-bus outside the unit.)

Much as I'd love to spectate again, I have to be on duty because the rest of the team will be at Stoneleigh, but anyone who wants to put their head round the door and defrost will be more than welcome.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:07 (Ref:851964)   #7
pvmw
Rookie

pvmw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: POM 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by relativtortoise

Incidentally I trust PVMW will be bringing the promised Rover SDi and not the Nash..about time he came and played big boys rules
RT
Hangs head I thought about it, then I thought about it some more........

.....I can either drive the 80 odd miles to Silverstone in a large comfortable modern(ish) car with a lid, heater, wipers, comfy chair etc - or I can go in a FRAZER NASH

No brainer really. Anyway, I suspect the SD1 would have needed a bit of work before the scroots would smile upon it. I shall probably regret my decision at about 6:30 am. on the 21st. Maybe next year, if I can stop it catching metal moth.

Anyway, its not an SDi. Thats something to do with Reagan and big fireworks, Its an SD1. the SD stands for "Special Developments", tho' I've never quite worked out what it was that was meant to be special about the development of the SD1. Maybe the innovation was of a car full of electrics that didn't work properly. However, it has one feature that isn't often found these days. With the rear seat folded flat its over 6 feet long in the back, so I can comfortably put a air bed and sleeping bag in it and use it as a caravan.

Paul
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:44 (Ref:852012)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As an outsider, I've often wondered why a race like the Pomeroy is run behind closed doors? It's just the sort of race a general motorsport fan like myself would be interested in watching: a season opener with a wide variety of machinary from a wide span of periods.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 10:11 (Ref:852039)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can watch it. The behind closed doors thing means you don't have to pay.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 10:41 (Ref:852063)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
That's good to hear. Why then is it not listed as a public event on the VSCC website? I'm not averse to paying for a days entertainment, so not advertising an event (almost going as far to discourage punters) but then making it free seems a strange way of doing business.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:33 (Ref:852117)   #11
pvmw
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Unfortunately, its a closed event and not open to all. You have to produce a club membership card to get in. I don't really see why, I'd have thought any event run at a cct. normally open to the public could be accessible.

Maybe its something to do with public liability, and the need to provide stewards/crowd control at public events -tho' I can't see the crowds being huge, there is also a lot of standing around and there can't be many people insane enough to want to spend the day at Silverstone in Febuary(present company excepted of course
Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:49 (Ref:852252)   #12
relativtortoise
Racer

So bringing the Nash and not the SD[one] has nothing to do with the £135 needed for a tin top then?

Even Andy Kellock has seen the light and is bringing his 2002 this time

RT
Old 27 Jan 2004, 14:30 (Ref:852315)   #13
pvmw
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by relativtortoise
So bringing the Nash and not the SD[one] has nothing to do with the £135 needed for a tin top then?

RT
Er....., Might have!!!

I'm still trying to get past the pseudonym. Someone who knows about the SD1, but doesn't know that its changed colour from brown to white. Hm!!!!!!!
Old 27 Jan 2004, 14:39 (Ref:852324)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pvmw
Unfortunately, its a closed event and not open to all. You have to produce a club membership card to get in. I don't really see why, I'd have thought any event run at a cct. normally open to the public could be accessible.

Maybe its something to do with public liability, and the need to provide stewards/crowd control at public events -tho' I can't see the crowds being huge, there is also a lot of standing around and there can't be many people insane enough to want to spend the day at Silverstone in Febuary(present company excepted of course
Oops, apologies. We used to get in for free and no questions asked guv.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 14:44 (Ref:852329)   #15
Swift-1929
Rookie

I'm fairly sure it's because of the insurance etc. as running a motor sport event for the public requires all sorts of extra organisation you really don't need if it is simply an event for club members to play at.

Now, if someone uninvited slopes in without being noticed ...

Last edited by Swift-1929; 27 Jan 2004 at 14:46.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 14:48 (Ref:852330)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The SUNBAC meeting at Silverstone in March used to be the same. But now I beleive there is an antrey fee. It was all to do with insurances.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 15:23 (Ref:852367)   #17
relativtortoise
Racer

I wouldn’t know about colours…we only talked about it in principal.. sounds like it’s white with brown edges!

Common sense says bring the Nash…did five of the six entered last year get in the awards?

It takes a well sorted ‘tin top’ to do well there as Andy K will discover

RT
Old 27 Jan 2004, 18:48 (Ref:852663)   #18
BugEyed
Racer

From memory, members can bring family members or accompanied guests - after all, what better way to introduce somebody who has the necessary qualities (determination, or is it insanity, to be at Siverstone in February ) to the club? Looks like some of us posters might have more friends than anybody realised!

See you there. If you need my mobile to meet up at the event (I've heard that the gate is a good place to meet friends whose appearance you have "forgotten") PM me.

Duncan
Old 27 Jan 2004, 22:47 (Ref:852978)   #19
MGCooperman
Rookie

MGCooperman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure Duncan is correct in saying guests can have entry when accompanying a member, or should that be the other way round. So a minibus full of guests with one card holding member can get in.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 22:51 (Ref:852983)   #20
MGCooperman
Rookie

I am sure Duncan is correct in saying members can bring guests, you have to have your membership card, so I guess a minibus full of guests and one card holding member is OK
Old 27 Jan 2004, 22:53 (Ref:852987)   #21
MGCooperman
Rookie

That last post should be on the Pom thread but it wouldn't erase - help

Last edited by MGCooperman; 27 Jan 2004 at 22:53.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 23:18 (Ref:853007)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ask and ye shall....

Ooops, you've re-posted. Never mind.

I recall this issue came up last year - as a non-member invited to the Pom by a member (thanks Mike!) we had the worry of trying to get into Silverstone. Mike would have been able to let us in but as it is, a Silverstone Racing Club badge in the windscreen of the car was all that was required for the gateman to wave us straight through!
Old 27 Jan 2004, 23:59 (Ref:853049)   #23
broken 1/2shaft
Rookie

broken 1/2shaft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha ! Have found the new 'pub'.

Can't be at Pom

...going skiing

Enjoy it, will be back for Silversotne tho...
Old 28 Jan 2004, 08:37 (Ref:853271)   #24
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meet me at the gate, I'll take you in in the Bugatti!

TimD do you have any books on the Brasier cars in your green monster?

Last edited by eclectic; 28 Jan 2004 at 08:38.

Steve McQueen.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 08:54 (Ref:853287)   #25
BugEyed
Racer

Mike

Can we all hitch a ride?

Tim

It's good to see such active and helpfull moderation.

Duncan