Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Feb 2004, 23:26 (Ref:874406)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Why didn't Williams let JPM go early?...

......your thoughts?

When JPM announced that he was leaving for Mclaren in 2005 he hadn't tested the new car, so he couldn't take any "secrets" to McLaren, so why did Williams decide to keep him?

After all, Williams could have taken Coulthard (who had tested the new Mclaren already), promoted Gene, taken on Villeneuve or even taken on Verstappen if they were desperate enough

So, why keep Montoya? I'm sure that Ron would have put him in the seat for 2004.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 23:37 (Ref:874412)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Why didn't Williams let JPM go early?...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V

After all, Williams could have taken Coulthard
I can't believe you said that. You of all people!

I think Williams have a sniff at the title this year and Frank wants the strongest line-up he can get. At the mo, Ralf and JPM are the strongest he can have.

I'm sure Ron offered to buy him out of his contract.

It's just a hunch, but this situation gives Frank time to evaluate who's out there and maybe do a bit of wheeling and dealing to get who he really wants.

As for Gene, he is good, but not a good choice for what is shaping up to be a close battle.

Villeneuve would be too expensive and I don't think Frank wants his factory infested with moths.

Verstappen (see Gene).

Last edited by Spudgun; 14 Feb 2004 at 23:38.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 23:49 (Ref:874419)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Williams let Montoya go it would make the team weaker, which in itself would be bad.

But if he was then driving for McLaren then that would make them stronger.

So it would be a double effect.

Therefore, sensible decision not to release him.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 08:26 (Ref:874606)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe it was because Button and Webber werent available by contract yet and the only decent driver availably was Heidfeld who is no Montoya.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 10:28 (Ref:874666)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Franks reasoning was that "Juan Pablo is a fantastic racing driver so we didn't want to let the opposition have him until as late as possible".
Old 15 Feb 2004, 11:13 (Ref:874697)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A dumb question (again for the 45th time)
Old 15 Feb 2004, 11:14 (Ref:874698)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button and Webber won't be available next year either, without Frank paying a big amount out to release them - which is not his style (indeed, he's usually reluctant to give anyone a pay rise).

Kicking-Back has basically nailed it - why let the opposition gain an unneccessary advantage? 2004 could prove to be Williams' best chance of ending their title drought, and JPM is undoubtedly a better contender for that than DC, especially as he knwos the current team. He can't really take a huge amount to McLaren for 2005, otehr than perhaps the #1 plate.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 11:28 (Ref:874706)   #8
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But in case you haven't been around and seen the other threads and endless comments....

1)Drivers can't take any secrets with him because drivers these days can't possibly come close to knowing enough about the internal workings of the cars to be of any use to the competition.

2)frank and patrick have no problems with montoya that they can't handle.Remember which bosses we're talking about here

3)Why would they possibly,CONCIEVABLY want coulthard?????!!!!
4) as others have mentioned,all the good drivers are taken
Old 15 Feb 2004, 11:47 (Ref:874726)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're bored with it RWC then just don't bother posting.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 12:32 (Ref:874751)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that "secrets" gained from driver is rather limited nowadays, and that unless a driver is heavily involved in the developement its unlikely they know much of the new car...

Afterall, it's hard for Williams to get a suitable substitude of JPM's calibre at a lower price than just keeping JPM in 04. And to let him go so easily would be quite a slap in the face and make their team seem weak.

Keep him there til 05, where many good drivers finish their contracts..then Frank can have a good time shopping and "bargaining"
Old 15 Feb 2004, 12:47 (Ref:874765)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When JPM made his ridiculous annoncement to go to McLaren in 2005, I thought for sure Williams would can him for 2004, which I think he deserves to be!

What an insult to Williams this thing is. I have never seen such a move in any sport, and somewhere along the line, in 2004, this will come back to haunt Williams and JPM. If things don't go just right, I can easily see a driver like Montoya giving up, and coasting, knowing that McLaren is waiting. I already think that he gave up in a couple of races last year, I can only imagine how many it could be this year.

Williams will rue the day they kept Montoya around.

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Feb 2004, 12:50 (Ref:874766)   #12
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they were to far into the set up for this year to let him go.
I also think Frank knows what he wants and is prepared to see how this year pans out and who does well.
I also think neither driver will be in a Williams next year.Don't be surprised to see Webber wearing white overalls next year.He has stated tat he is signed with Jag until the end of 05 but there will be a get out of jail card clause in the contract.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 15 Feb 2004 at 12:50.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 13:07 (Ref:874782)   #13
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FW-RS relationship is worst than FW-JPM at this moment...

RS wants to sign a new contract and FW says not yet.

JPM situation is known and settled already.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 13:40 (Ref:874806)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
A dumb question (again for the 45th time)
As the thread title tells of the content with in, why bother reading it in the first place?
Old 15 Feb 2004, 17:10 (Ref:874922)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ho-hum...
Old 15 Feb 2004, 17:38 (Ref:874959)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it would have been a helluva lot more interesting if JPM had been let go. Would it have been possible for Ron to put him instead of DC in 2004? Which driver would have Frank picked in place of JPM?

(How do you know, with 1 single race in a top car, that Gené can't compete for a championship?)
Old 15 Feb 2004, 17:39 (Ref:874960)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
When JPM made his ridiculous annoncement to go to McLaren in 2005, I thought for sure Williams would can him for 2004, which I think he deserves to be!
Talking nonsense, I'm afraid.

Montoya's Williams contract takes him up to the end of the 2004 season - meaning he was perfectly entitled to sign for anyone else for the period after that - which he has done.

Williams decided before the 1996 season they wouldn't be keeping Damon Hill for 97, but they didn't tell him - so what's the problem with a driver doing things the other way round - and letting the team know well in advance so they can make alternative plans for once he leaves?
Old 15 Feb 2004, 17:42 (Ref:874961)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shows how influential the man is. We've dropped the JV threads and now we've got three JPM threads running simalt........ er at the same time.

As has been said though it must only be a money thing. Frank won't pay unless he has too and he'll demand a fiar sized wadge from any poachers. And as the poacher in question is Ron I doubt he'd want to pay either.

I bet we'll find that Jaun is unhappy with his wedge at Macaroon because he was so desperate to get away from Team Wiloy he took a lower deal than if he went as a WC.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 18:24 (Ref:874984)   #19
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why didn't Williams let JPM go early?

Because JPM is the best bet to beat Michael in 2004.

Last edited by freud; 15 Feb 2004 at 18:25.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 00:13 (Ref:875219)   #20
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
......your thoughts?

When JPM announced that he was leaving for Mclaren in 2005 he hadn't tested the new car, so he couldn't take any "secrets" to McLaren, so why did Williams decide to keep him?

After all, Williams could have taken Coulthard (who had tested the new Mclaren already), promoted Gene, taken on Villeneuve or even taken on Verstappen if they were desperate enough

So, why keep Montoya? I'm sure that Ron would have put him in the seat for 2004.
Mike Rockenfeller will not be available intil 2005.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 02:46 (Ref:875283)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

I was reading an interview with Ron Dennis earlier this evening (F1Racing March 2004) and he said that it was his and Franks decision, by mutual consent to announce that JPM had signed for McLaren, but had to be brought forward due to certain noises made in the press.

The early announcement had nothing to do with JPM it would appear.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 02:54 (Ref:875286)   #22
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
......your thoughts?So, why keep Montoya? I'm sure that Ron would have put him in the seat for 2004.
Because, according to Sir Frank and Patrick Head, Montoya's move to McLaren for 2005 will not harm his world title challenge this year.

"We have the potential of being one of the lead competitors this year, so there won't be any problem with Juan Pablo putting effort in," Head said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3488915.stm
Old 16 Feb 2004, 04:29 (Ref:875320)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is that when these relationships deteriorate often the on track results don't turn out well. The easiest example would be the Williams-Frenzen relationship. IMO Frenzen proved the year after his Williams drive that Williams was correct in their assessment oft his abilities. It was the internal relationship that prevented him from performing to his full ability. IMO internal team relationships are Williams most publically obvious weakness. No one else has the problems that Williams seems to have.

I have to wonder why Williams wouldn't give a young driver that they value a chance. No offense, but why would they waste their time with DC?

Last edited by Snrub; 16 Feb 2004 at 04:31.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 11:53 (Ref:875658)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams tend to be the best at giving inexperienced drivers a chance - Damon, JV and Montoya were all virtual rookies, and guys like Frentzen, Mansell, Rosberg and Jones had proved little when they joined.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 17:23 (Ref:875988)   #25
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That's a very good question. If I were a fan of Williams I'd be disappointed that they appear (at this point) to be starting 2004 with RS and JPM. Both drivers carry baggage and have excuses to be less than 100 percent committed; both appear greedy; both let down their team last season AGAIN. Call me naive but I'm not convinced that Williams will remain status quo throughout 2004. The poker game they're playing with RD appears over but is it?

Tags
jpm