Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 14 Jul 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2250910)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where have they all come from?

I was extremely surprised to see what seemed to be hundreds (well a good number anyway!) of new photographers at Brands on Sunday...where have they all sprung from...who are all they working for...etc, etc??? I know many regulars must have been at Snet for the BTCC but strewth...just something I noticed thats all. Not complaining ...just surprised as they don't ever seem to appear at a good ol' clubbie strangely! Here's a few from the weekend...
Attached Thumbnails
TT.jpg   Hunter Abbot - Barry Ambrose.jpg  TT.JPG   Ericsson set pole just before a big off at Dingle Dell-Barry Ambrose.jpg  TT.JPG  

Barnes and Gornall Viper GT3 - Barry Ambrose.jpg  TT.JPG  
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2251232)   #2
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Baz

haven't you heard the latest story............the streets of racing photography are paved with gold.........wine, women and song are the rewards but only for those with true grit.........get digicam and a zoom, wealth beyond the dreams of avarice are yours.

I must agree with you given that Haymarket/LAT control most of the paying market in the UK where is the commercial aspect for those who are trackside?
Are they as bad at business as me or are they using a hobby to avoid paying to get in?

At the FoS last weekend around 300 snappers signed on.........and I believe a similar number of scribblers..........you can't tell me they were all working for real money.

There were the usual suspects Getty/Suttons/LAT all chasing the rainbow that surrounds Lewis.........plus the old guys like me..........but there were a few comedy gems.........

The Russian who managed to upset or fight with everyone he came into contact with marshals, security etc.........plus he was using a Sony VidCam........a hanging offence for a stills guy.

Then there was the bloke who appeared on a photo stand with a young blonde on one hand and a pint of larger in the other..........he did have a camera but it was one step up from a phone...........on reflection he had the right idea........I end up with Dave Lister and a 500mm......blondes and beer sound a much better proposition.

There were the usual collection of the self important, the clueless and the downright rude with photo access........but actually there were some gems as well..........it was a great event.

Anyhow instead of lurking around Druids you should be down Rodeo Drive........

jb
Old 15 Jul 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2251332)   #3
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quick Matron....The Screens, the screens................
Old 15 Jul 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2251339)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
WTF is THAT all about????????
Old 15 Jul 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2251343)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't panic, I've awoken from my coma long enough to get rid of it...!

The joys of a slow day in the office...
Old 15 Jul 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2251431)   #6
CLIP-Motorsport
Rookie

England
CLIP-Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a case of who you know, not what you know.

As a keen amatuer I would love media access, not to get in cheap but for the better access but I can accept the fact that that's really for the pro's making a living. I'd love to be one too, but then most of the enthusiasts would, i guess, but that's another story.
It seems so difficult to get media access when you look in to it but then you see someone snapping with a compact . It does make you how they got accreditation.

PS Nice shots Baz
Old 15 Jul 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2251437)   #7
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney
I end up with Dave Lister and a 500mm......
Just imagine what misdeeds I must have done in a past life to deserve that punishment..
Old 15 Jul 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2251440)   #8
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
hundreds of new photographers at Brands on Sunday...
Oooh good.. New sport for the WTCC weekend..
Old 15 Jul 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2251477)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I went to Le Mans Classic, and thanks to John Ruston, and this forum, got a media pass. I just hope the pictures live up to the access!

Seriously, while I would LOVE to work trackside, I also know I really cannot be bothered with the hassle involved to get the JOB done. All respect to the real, genuine, pros in here. It's a LOT of work, for not enough money.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2251496)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tell me about it. I did 3 17 hour days at the weekend (if not more!), plus all Monday editing everything!
Old 15 Jul 2008, 20:45 (Ref:2251567)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rodeo Drive hmmmm...well I was at Pismo Beach for a custom car show, Las Vagas for the mother in laws (and aviation shots though at 117 degrees it wasn't too pleasant!), Grand Canyon (cos' hadn't seen it before), a few miles driving on Route 66 (I got a few kicks but can't say how!!), Sedona in Arizona (for the stunning scenery) and back "home" to LA for some well earned beers and a thrashed Dodge Avenger hire car! Never got to Rodeo Drive so maybe next time. Now back to reality again with two dull F3 races at Brands-they do need something to liven these up at Brands as can't remember a decent race there in years! I wonder how many new peeps we'll see at the WTCC? Here's just a few from last week...not motorsport...but almost!
Attached Thumbnails
car.jpg   car2.jpg   car3.jpg  

Old 15 Jul 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2251628)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Very nice. I've been to that part of the world once, would love to go again for about 2 months.

It's a shame about the F3 races being dull, it's a great track to photograph. The GT races were good though!
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2252095)   #13
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, I think there are more and more kids like me trying to do this as a living...all too many seem to get there with no talent

I'm hoping and praying I can get there
Old 17 Jul 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2252951)   #14
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
minifox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess i could be classed as one of these new people?
but im not doing it to make a living(yet)
Old 18 Jul 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2253148)   #15
Guidoh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Near Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, UK
Guidoh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minifox
i guess i could be classed as one of these new people?
but im not doing it to make a living(yet)
And nor will you ever be minifox, if the whole media industry carries on like it is...there is no living in motorsport photography unless you're one of the very lucky ones, but by god, do you earn any money you may make. It aint no holiday that's for sure.

Gc
Old 18 Jul 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2253158)   #16
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoh
And nor will you ever be minifox, if the whole media industry carries on like it is...there is no living in motorsport photography unless you're one of the very lucky ones, but by god, do you earn any money you may make. It aint no holiday that's for sure.

Gc
Guidoh

stop scaring the new boys..........

Actually they should listen to you as I can attest that each year the market shrinks as more and more folk give their work away. The latest financial disasters will only accelerate the process of lowering the prices.

There are two solutions..........run away or change the product mix.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2253192)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
quite - there's plenty whining about how difficult it is to make a living. offer something different to the drivers and teams, market it well and you never know.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2253242)   #18
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney
Guidoh

stop scaring the new boys..........

Actually they should listen to you as I can attest that each year the market shrinks as more and more folk give their work away. The latest financial disasters will only accelerate the process of lowering the prices.

There are two solutions..........run away or change the product mix.
Being a student, I'm used to living on 15p noodles and orange juice, so I'll go with whatever pennies I can scrounge
Old 18 Jul 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2253244)   #19
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Yeah, I'm not though.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2253294)   #20
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
minifox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
atleast i dont give my work away!
although im not sure anyone would want it if i payed them at the moment?
haha
Old 18 Jul 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2253346)   #21
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Yeah, I'm not though.
You're on a wage!

And it's easy anyway, just don't mix the juice and the noodles in the same bowl.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2253354)   #22
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Yeah and I'd like to keep it that way. And I gave up eating cheap noodles years ago...
Old 18 Jul 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2253481)   #23
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Yeah and I'd like to keep it that way. And I gave up eating cheap noodles years ago...
Snob.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2253745)   #24
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, just realistic.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2253789)   #25
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Looks like I now won't be at the WTCC meeting as a last minute change will see me on the coach with the BRSCC heading to Croix in France for that weekend. It's only a small 2-day clubbie but if it pays money then you can't turn it down-will prob help out with a little marshaling as well which is always fun there. So have fun at Brands everyone which I would guess will see its fair share of media signed-on! ...including Samoan !!!