Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Nov 2016, 20:49 (Ref:3691025)   #5001
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ogier tested the Yaris WRC. If Toyota has a third car and wants a publicity stunt I´d try to seduce him: "Why not winning what Loeb couldn´t?"
Old 29 Nov 2016, 01:48 (Ref:3691932)   #5002
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay I can say it for 100% now.
There is not going to be a 3rd car. I'm sorry guys!

However, More money is going towards R&D.
This decision was made largely due to Audi leaving as well as regulation staying the same till 2019~2020. (Some R&D had to be paused cos of it)

Anyway, I'm sure there will be some press release by the mid Dec.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 03:52 (Ref:3691942)   #5003
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
How does that go together? R&D is being paused and yet there will be more money for R&D?

Anyways, expected outcome, Audi pulling out and Porsche not bringing a third car has reduced the need for a third car a lot.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 05:54 (Ref:3691960)   #5004
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The team never announces things until at least January. If there's something talked about it December, that'll be departure from the norm.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3691973)   #5005
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
How does that go together? R&D is being paused and yet there will be more money for R&D?

Anyways, expected outcome, Audi pulling out and Porsche not bringing a third car has reduced the need for a third car a lot.
Sorry, should've made it little more clear.
R&D for new 2018 Hybrid system has been paused. However, more effort is going into current design based upgrades.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 19:46 (Ref:3694599)   #5006
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can anyone here tell me if the current Yaris WRC is made by TMG Cologne or elsewhere? It looks vastly different than the one TMG revealed earlier, and the only link i can draw is DMG Mori, which happens to be the CNC's which TMG uses.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3694606)   #5007
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
It's not made by TMG, I believe TMG only supplies the engine, their role in the WRC programme has been vastly reduced.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3694635)   #5008
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Yeah the WRC program is run elsewhere. I think they said TMG would provide support,but that's about it.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3695493)   #5009
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
To bump this thread a little.

New Toyota Supra
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...r-2018-assault
The hybrid version is claimed to draw on technology and processes developed for Toyota’s most recent TS050 LMP1 Le Mans race car.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 15:58 (Ref:3695527)   #5010
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Denso UK confirms Jose Maria Lopez?
https://twitter.com/densopartsUK/sta...32156551499776
Old 12 Dec 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3695556)   #5011
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Denso UK confirms Jose Maria Lopez?
https://twitter.com/densopartsUK/sta...32156551499776
Yeah, the local media have taken note of that. Because his contract Lopez can't confirm his participation until january 1. So, maybe from Toyota will make a call to Denso guys haha.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3695670)   #5012
TF110
Veteran

United States
I wonder if Toyota will have him at their motorsport activity conference? It took place in February this year so I think he should be able to speak about it since his other contract is over.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 13:38 (Ref:3695811)   #5013
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone else find it strange that the WRC team was able to get much better sponsorship than the WEC effort? Microsoft, DMG MORI, Panasonic etc... Meanwhile, the WEC effort only has Mobil and other Toyota Group companies. Also, there is a rumor circulating that Makinen offered Ogier a $15M Euro Contract. Funny how the rally team is rolling in cash.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3695925)   #5014
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Anyone else find it strange that the WRC team was able to get much better sponsorship than the WEC effort? Microsoft, DMG MORI, Panasonic etc... Meanwhile, the WEC effort only has Mobil and other Toyota Group companies. Also, there is a rumor circulating that Makinen offered Ogier a $15M Euro Contract. Funny how the rally team is rolling in cash.
I would love to know this too. that 15M would have done a lot for the WEC effort
Old 13 Dec 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3695927)   #5015
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Then M-sport + Ford must really have build a great car or paid a lot of money to secure Ogier.

I find it hard to believe that a 15M contract together with a full powered factory effort was worse than what M-Sport could offer. So I don't believe 15M was offered, unless it was for multiple years (+3?) and then 15M isn't that much for the quality driver Ogier is.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 23:07 (Ref:3695993)   #5016
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Then M-sport + Ford must really have build a great car or paid a lot of money to secure Ogier.

I find it hard to believe that a 15M contract together with a full powered factory effort was worse than what M-Sport could offer. So I don't believe 15M was offered, unless it was for multiple years (+3?) and then 15M isn't that much for the quality driver Ogier is.
Well Ogier tested the Toyota and said the suspension needed a ton of work so more probably the ford gives him a better chance at winning, at least short term.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 00:02 (Ref:3695997)   #5017
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
WRC millions cheaper to develop and run.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 02:29 (Ref:3696012)   #5018
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Well Ogier tested the Toyota and said the suspension needed a ton of work so more probably the ford gives him a better chance at winning, at least short term.
If he even drove the car in its final configuration. Toyota and Makinen aren't too stupid to let him know all there is to their car so he can make the others better. Plus he said that about tarmac iirc. And Toyota has been doing only gravel running so it was one of the first times running on tarmac.

I think if the wrc project has the means to offer Ogier $15 million per year then they must be pretty well funded. But it's probably multi year. Hope the wec project gets more funding too.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 03:12 (Ref:3696023)   #5019
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I think it would take a brave man to argue in this section of the forum why this might be the case...
Old 14 Dec 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3696086)   #5020
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know how the rally TV coverage is, but the app coverage is far better. I think it might be a little more expensive than WEC, but IMO the rally coverage is the best app out there. Loads of awesome live and replayed stuff.

It could also be that the sponsor spots are cheaper. I could fill an LMP1 car with sponsor logos if I sold all the spots for £20.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 12:14 (Ref:3696107)   #5021
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
If he even drove the car in its final configuration. Toyota and Makinen aren't too stupid to let him know all there is to their car so he can make the others better.
At the end of the day, the Polo WRC was the best modern rally car and the 2017 spec was rumoured to be an even bigger monster. Ogier brings much more to Toyota than he could ever take from a single test with the car....

Makinen would have done everything they could to secure Ogier. Who is in a class of his own with Loeb...Toyota did not build a special dummy spec Yaris just for Ogier to drive. That makes no sense.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3696178)   #5022
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
I would love to know this too. that 15M would have done a lot for the WEC effort
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

I don't think that just because they offered a 15M contract means they just had 15Million euros under a mattress....or that they are rolling in liquid assets

There are many ways to read into this.

It could be 15M over 3 years. Or they could have found lenders for Ogiers contract fee. The point being that they know Ogier will bring them the championship (lets not kid ourselves), so how much future value is that worth to M-Sport.

Think about the value, and what type of million dollar sponsors you can now attract, with Ogier in the team. It's just business. They would have figured out how to offer him 15million tomorrow in a lump sum
if it meant they would make more money/sponsors later.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3696201)   #5023
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
At the end of the day, the Polo WRC was the best modern rally car and the 2017 spec was rumoured to be an even bigger monster. Ogier brings much more to Toyota than he could ever take from a single test with the car....

Makinen would have done everything they could to secure Ogier. Who is in a class of his own with Loeb...Toyota did not build a special dummy spec Yaris just for Ogier to drive. That makes no sense.
I don't think you read my comment right. I said he drove the car (for one of it's first times) on tarmac and said that it needs work, but on gravel it was another story. The car was just revealed in it's final iteration. So what he drove could be changed and probably was changed. I didn't say they built a dummy spec car for just him.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3696511)   #5024
Hiro
Racer

Hiro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine of the Yaris WRC is developed by TMG. The leader is Japanese engineer Aoki. He said the powerful engine was developed based on Makinen's request. I speculate from this article that TMG is also highly involved in development of the car itself so that their advanced model-based development which was proven in WEC field can be used in the WRC area.
Senior director Saga said that the same hardware is used for WEC and WRC engine development with different concepts. The WEC engine focuses on heat efficiency while WRC engine focuses on power and drivability. I speculate that Higashifuji Center is closely working with the TMG WRC engine team.
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1035134.html

Last edited by Hiro; 15 Dec 2016 at 21:46.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 23:39 (Ref:3697737)   #5025
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
The engine of the Yaris WRC is developed by TMG. The leader is Japanese engineer Aoki. He said the powerful engine was developed based on Makinen's request. I speculate from this article that TMG is also highly involved in development of the car itself so that their advanced model-based development which was proven in WEC field can be used in the WRC area.
Senior director Saga said that the same hardware is used for WEC and WRC engine development with different concepts. The WEC engine focuses on heat efficiency while WRC engine focuses on power and drivability. I speculate that Higashifuji Center is closely working with the TMG WRC engine team.
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1035134.html
How about the Aero testing and spare parts?

Im curious to see if TMG does this inhouse. I see the Yaris turn up to test sessions with new aero parts everytime. Surely Makkinen doesn't have the wind tunnel to test these bits in Finland?