Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jan 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1198559)   #76
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonz1
Group A,
Which ex Ultra Tune car does Sala have - the VT Perkins built car that last appearaed in DOnaher and Crambrook's hands?
Bugger if I know..but there is more than a winters project to put it back together
Old 11 Jan 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1198587)   #77
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great memories............

Some great Aussie names from the past, and a lot of them came to the UK to race.
I remember Peter Verheyen at the FF Festival in a red RF87, also Troy Dunstan in an RF91 and Craig Lowndes in an RF94. Mark Poole raced a factory Chevron in a few FF races too.
Steve Harrington did race in F3 in either 85 or 86 in a Ralt RT30, but the Driza Bone man was Warwick Rooklyn who raced a Ralt in the B class a few years later [88/89?].
Another name is Matt Negus who did a few Vauxhall Lotus races before he ran out of cash in the early 90's.
Also, was former Porsche and F3 racer Craig Simmiss from N.Z?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1198637)   #78
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
Anyone know what happened to Rusty French the 935 pilot?
Rusty is still piloting the 935 (both of them) at selected events here in Victoria, and what a great car the 935 is.

Oh, if you see Skye Sands as a sponsor of an event or race car that would be Rusty's company.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1198856)   #79
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Senior
Steve Harrington did race in F3 in either 85 or 86 in a Ralt RT30, but the Driza Bone man was Warwick Rooklyn who raced a Ralt in the B class a few years later [88/89?].
Also, was former Porsche and F3 racer Craig Simmiss from N.Z?
Of course - Harrington was sponsored by herbie clips and I think Tom Walkinshaw in some capacity. Warwick Rooklyn raced for Bowman did'nt he?

Craig Simmiss went on to Porsches, I think he won the Supercup or came close in 91 when it was a decent championship. He was backed by one of the big Porsche dealerships (exclusively 9?) and I think he was involved financially with them and from my fadeing memories they were based in s/w london (fulham?).

cheers for the info
Old 12 Jan 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1198859)   #80
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Rusty is still piloting the 935 (both of them) at selected events here in Victoria, and what a great car the 935 is.

Oh, if you see Skye Sands as a sponsor of an event or race car that would be Rusty's company.
Good news - I recall at one point he came over to the UK to see the Porsches racing and was coming back with his 935 but suffered a massive accident and was badly hurt (early 90s). I recall my boss telling me he was trying to buy an island called French island - was that BS?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1198873)   #81
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl
Some interesting names there kieron , I remember Fritz Kohout (Porsche) and Rod Donovan (Falcon XT GT) battling it out for honours at the wet 6 hour production car race at Caversham circuit in 1968 also racing were Dick Roberts in his wifes AP6 Valliant (Dick Roberts smash repairs Midland) and Stan Starcevic (Ford Cortina) Alf Barbegello (Mini ,from memory) Bill Dixon (Cortina) plus many others who used to also race at Claremont speedway and there names now escape me .
In the mid seventies (73 - 74 ) Wayne Negus was the service manager for the Holden dealer in Walters road Morley (can't remember their name) - Stuart Kostera used to have a BP servo in Kallamunda in the sixties.
Fritz Kohout was one sensational driver, the first to race a 911 in Australia - love to know the true story - did he ever drive for the factory. Went back to Europe.

Bill Dickson drove a XR Falcon sports sedan - later picked up a 3rd in an ATCC round at Wanneroo in a GTHO. Was a Sergeant of Police when I last heard.

Dont remember Alf Barbagallo in Mini, Wayne Negus had a sports sedan Mini.
Waynes business was & is Dalkeith Autos - Metro Motors sponsored him in the XU1 days, although City Motors sponsored his Bathurst drive with Neville Grigsby. Wayne may be president of the WA Automobile Chamber of Commerce.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1198878)   #82
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rusty French

Quote:
Good news - I recall at one point he came over to the UK to see the Porsches racing and was coming back with his 935 but suffered a massive accident and was badly hurt (early 90s). I recall my boss telling me he was trying to buy an island called French island - was that BS?
Rustys prang was in a plane on approach to Tyabb I think.

Has raced a Nascar & Viper in recent times - what an array of cars Rusty has owned, I remember a Pantera in the 70s.

No idea about the island but it is close to his base on the Mornington Peninsula.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1198894)   #83
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holmes
What about Gary Scott? He drove for Nissan in the 80s, then teamed up with Brock from memory. I thought he was a very good driver. I recall an in-car cam once with him, and he was making racing car noises as he drove! Like a kid does when playing with a toy car in a sandpit. I think this was when he was with Brock. Does anyone remember this? Was he joking or was this something he always did?.
This happened at Surfers Paradise in Round 6, Scott's return to the team after missing 3 rounds due to writing off #05 at Lakeside. He was back because Brock was debuting a brand new VL Commodore. Scott actually didn't have a bad race, running 4th early but dropped back.

I'll have to dig the tape out, but he was indeed making car noises and talking to himself. It had Garry Wilkinson and Neil Crompton confused for abit, as Scott was carrying the Racecam and had a microphone to talk to them. After he didn't reply they checked with the team who said that he wasn't hooked up and couldn't hear them. From memory, i'll check the tape to get the full story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05
I remember he wrote off the #05 car at Lakeside. Don't think he drove for Brock again after that.
Bit of a fall from grace considering he had pole at Bathurst the year before and finished 3rd.
Scott missed three rounds (Round 3 at Lakeside, Round 4 at Wanneroo, Round 5 at Adelaide International Raceway), returning to his old car when Brock debuted his new VL (interestingly when Brock took over Scott's car, he kept the #6, rather than change it to his usual #05). Scott though only ran at Surfers after his comeback. David Parson's took over the #6 car at Sandown and Amaroo, while Jon Crooke drove it at the last round at Oran Park.

Scott then moved to the works Mitsubishi team to drive their Starion Turbo at Sandown and Bathurst, knocking Brad Jones out of the drive.

As you say quite a fall from grace after starring in the latter half of 1986 after taking over the 2nd Skyline from Glenn Seton. He was second on debut at Lakeside, 'won' at Winton before being disqualified, came second at the Castrol 500 at Sandown, then set pole at Bathurst, but Fred stumped for Glenn Seton in 1987 (the three way fight for the second seat was between Seton, Scott and Terry Sheil, who got a race in the Oran Park 250 at the end of 1986 in the second Skyline, to partner George Fury in 1987). After the way Seton went in 1987 and thereafter, along with the talent of Scott and Shiel, they were spoilt for choice at Peter Jackson Nissan in 1986.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1198895)   #84
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what happened to Philip Scifleet (British F3 class B champ, 1998) and Andrej Pavicevic (F3000 driver)?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1198902)   #85
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Brock running the #6 car and putting it on the front row at Lakeside. Quite a feat considering Scott wrote off his best car and all that was happening at the time.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 12 Jan 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1198955)   #86
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Scott though only ran at Surfers after his comeback. David Parson's took over the #6 car at Sandown and Amaroo, while Jon Crooke drove it at the last round at Oran Park. Scott then moved to the works Mitsubishi team to drive their Starion Turbo at Sandown and Bathurst, knocking Brad Jones out of the drive..
Actually, Scott did race the car at Amaroo, and was punted around by someone on the first lap. According to Auto Action's report on Scott's departure from the team, it was so they could hire a steerer that had, "a readily available sponsorship package"...I'd always thought he'd received the boot was because he kept bending the racecars? Ironic that in practice for the Pepsi 250 - Scott's first race in the Starion - that he bent the car in a major way after hitting a patch of oil.

Given how tight the purse strings over at the MHDT would have been at that stage, it makes enough sense. In that event, I wonder if Channel 7 kicked in some funds to get Crompton the drive in the enduros? What was it that caused Jon Crooke to leave the sport in disillusion, again?

The report also quotes Scott as saying, "I'd told him (Brock) that my plans for next year meant that I wouldn't be staying with the team. So, given the financial circumstances, it's not unreasonable that I be the one to go." The article gave no hint of a Mitsubishi deal.

Quote:
After the way Seton went in 1987 and thereafter, along with the talent of Scott and Shiel, they were spoilt for choice at Peter Jackson Nissan in 1986.
Looking back in hindsight, Fred Gibson had George Fury, Glenn Seton, Gary Scott, Terry Shiel, John Bowe and Mark Skaife on the books at Nissan at various times in that 12 months. Spoilt for choice indeed!

Last edited by William Dale Jr; 12 Jan 2005 at 13:29. Reason: dang spelling...
Old 12 Jan 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1198970)   #87
White Knight

Who could forget that Sandown 500 where he was punted by Allan Grice nearing Rothmans Rise which was the fastest part of the circuit, early in the race. He hit the armco front and rear and was insensed, screaming all sorts of obsensities down the two-way. Team manager Gibson calmly kept asking car conditions and temperatures while Scott and his team mate stormed back through the field for a great result.

Old 12 Jan 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1198989)   #88
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rusty crashed his plane at his home which has its own runway just down the road from where I lived at the time.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1199216)   #89
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
Does anyone know what happened to Philip Scifleet (British F3 class B champ, 1998) and Andrej Pavicevic (F3000 driver)?
Phil Scifleet ran the Doric Products AU for the ill-fated Rupprecht Motorsport in the Konica series in 2004... he also ran in the Smiths Trucks car in the Sandown 500, till it caught fire

Andrej Pavicevic isnt currently circuit racing... last I had heard, he works for his father in the building game...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jan 2005, 02:03 (Ref:1199514)   #90
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Don't know but French Island is in Westernport Bay and is next door to Phillip Island (only accessible by boat) and is an old jail and wildlife reserve.

He ran the 935 at PI early last year and put it into the fence approaching Siberia big time and has rebuilt the cars since and ran them at a Porsche CC sprint day at Sandown as a shake down for a following event also at Sandown.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 05:12 (Ref:1199545)   #91
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
Actually, Scott did race the car at Amaroo, and was punted around by someone on the first lap.
Yes very true i'd forgotten about that. Spun at Honda Corner on the first lap as you say

What about Tony Edmondson, Keith Carling and John McCormack?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1199616)   #92
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I know we've discussed him before but what about former Lancia C2 driver Lucio Cesario? And also Bap Romano, the Group C pilot?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1199621)   #93
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lucio Cesario ran in the local Lotus MoPro cup last year, after something of a hiatus...

Bap Romano owns a Level 2 V8 Supercar franchise....
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1199636)   #94
gts300kw
Rookie

gts300kw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happend to Paul Romano, he competed in the 2003 Clispal 500 then he sort of faded away and has never raced in the main game since.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1199638)   #95
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
He attends the occassional Supercar meeting... last time I saw him was Eastern Creek 2003.. although I dont make a point of looking for him...
Old 13 Jan 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1199742)   #96
Elwood
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Elwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
What about David Sala?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA
Runs a mechanic store called the Road Worthy Shop in Clayton Melborne just around the corner from Imrie

Has the ex Ultratune Commodore shell along with his old Sierra under recoinstruction
A bit of confusion here - I think you are referring to Bryan Sala (son of Gavin) who run the Auto business in Clayton. Bryan started out running a Group N Lotus Cortina.

David Sala ran Production cars (Corolla's/Commodore), then Commodore Cup for a couple of seasons (sold his car to Paul Dumbrell BTW) and more recently the Bathurst 24-hour in a Future Tourer.

Runs a construction compnay these days I think.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1199793)   #97
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what ever happened to Terry Allan?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1199794)   #98
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What about some of the ex-Formula Ford racers that were to be the stars of the future?

What happened to:
Peter Verheyen
He used to do race car prep, he was Bob Jones crew chief on the Ampol Commodores a decade ago.

Quote:
John Blanchard
Gone back to the air conditioning trade I think.

Quote:
Stephen White
Made an appearance in this year's Konica series for Rupprecht Motorsport

Quote:
Simon Kane
I think he may have won the Tattersals Sports Car series this year driving the Song Zu Porsche 993. Certainly he would have been well placed.

Quote:
Troy Dunstan
Speedtech, makers of very fast Formula Ford engines, has powered front runners for years, including his own back in the days when Speedtech was a team that Terry Morris decided could help his son learn to race

Quote:
Jamie McHugh (is he the same Jamie McHugh that's currently racing speedway?)
No. Speedway guy is too old.

Quote:
Stephen Brook

and for that matter, what's Mike Quinn up to nowadays?

Still running Phoenix Motorsport with a fingers in a few pies about the place, I think he had a hand in the Searle & Miller V8Supercar Commodores.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1199809)   #99
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
It would, still it's easy to get them confused. To help confuse us, they shared a car at Bathurst in '99. "Driven by David Parsons and, er, David Parsons". There again, one of them is a big guy who drives trucks in NSW, and the other one is a little guy who farms cows in Tasmania.
Briefly they tried to distinguish the two by middle name, until they found out that Truckie's middle name was also John.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1199811)   #100
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
The last time I recall George Fury competing was in early 1990 when he was offered the drive in someone else's Galant VR4 and promptly won the opening two rounds of the Australian Rally Championship. Then the car was sold. Shame.