Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Dec 2003, 16:19 (Ref:812286)   #1
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC again

And there he goes again:

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...15135657.shtml

But, this time, he really does have a point in the last sentence:
Quote:
But there are a lot of good drivers out there and McLaren did not sign me for 2004 because of lack of choice
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I mean, when does this stop???

Last edited by ljakse; 15 Dec 2003 at 16:19.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 16:21 (Ref:812288)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably when someone stops asking him the same question.....
Old 15 Dec 2003, 16:24 (Ref:812289)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i think the only reason he was signed for 2004 is that MAC were close to getting JPM for 2005. no GOOD driver wouldve signed for MAC for only a year hence Ron must have signed on DC to keep continuitv...
Old 15 Dec 2003, 16:59 (Ref:812307)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Insightful slant Ralfie. It seems exhaustive
Old 15 Dec 2003, 17:00 (Ref:812309)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What should he have said in answer to the inevitable question?
Never forget #99
Old 15 Dec 2003, 17:42 (Ref:812346)   #6
HForce
Rookie

HForce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No question about it if McLaren could off signed Montoya for 2004 they would off. Ron Dennis patience with DC had run out last year, there was NO excuse for his run of poor qualifying performances, when your team boss publicly criticises you and you do not respond to it your time is up. Sir Frank criticised Ralf at the start of the season & he got response he wanted.

DC has always played the company man. He’s suffered some poor reality and played the team player in Mika’s two championships.
That has been his biggest problem he consistently plays Mr. Good Employee too much. His race speed over a season has always been generally on a par with Mika & Kimi.
Australia 98 sums DC up, after pit mistake with Mika & the pit crew, do you think JMP, JV, MS or Mika himself would off slowed up & let there teammate through.
He’s too soft to be a F1 Champion.

I don’t think no other driver F1 history has driven so many cars that could of or did win a championship without putting together a serious bid himself - 95,98,99,00 & 03!

DC should count himself VERY lucky that he’s still got his McLaren drive for 04. He has one VERY last chance to keep it. Unfortunately in 2004 he’ll have to out qualify & out race Kimi over the whole season, it’s unlikely, matching Kimi giving there ages won’t be enough.
But people do forget how well DC started last season; he could off so easily won the first three races. In Brazil he was a class apart from anyone else, so you never know.
He out performed Mika in 97 & 01, in 2002 he & Kimi were evenly matched.

Giving that McLaren have signed JMP for 2005, there was no point in replacing DC for 2004 if anything he could do a good support job for Kimi’s title bid.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 20:00 (Ref:812441)   #7
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He doesn't have the chance to prove he's worth it this year as so many say.He'll be gone and that's that
Old 15 Dec 2003, 20:18 (Ref:812457)   #8
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
time will tell, you may all be right and you may all be wrong. It is funny reading these threads about DC when yes ok he hasn't done much in the McLaren team but if other drivers were better than him why has he been kept on not just for 04 but also 01,02 and 03? Does it not strike you all as odd that Mclaren won't touch Fisi, Heidfield etc. and all these other drivers that are said to be so "great". McLaren could HAVE signed another driver for 1 year to fill the void of DC had they chosen to get rid of him. They could HAVE gone for a driver that was a lot cheaper and able to finish races but they didn't, they stuck with DC because they know what he is capable of. Plus nowhere has Mclaren said that DC is out and Kimi is in for 05 yet! If it was so cut and dry they would have done so when they announced Monty.
Like I said to begin with time will tell.
I still think DC should move on regardless as he has gotten nowhere with McLaren anyway since starting there in 96 and it can't all be of his own doing.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 20:29 (Ref:812469)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably better the devil you know and all that. McLaren thought there was no one 'easily available' for 2004, that they KNEW could do a better job than DC.

A move for 2005 would benefit DC, it may lift him a bit as I think he's just that bit too comfortable at McLaren, and has sub-conciously settled into that support role.

It would be a great irony if ,after all those years in true front running cars, he found his form in a dark horse like Toyota......
Old 15 Dec 2003, 21:10 (Ref:812510)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there are a lot of good drivers out there and McLaren did not sign me for 2004 because of lack of choice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DC does have abit of a point here i suppose, however, Ron knows the drivers he wants for 2005, and yes, he possibly did have a fair choice to replace DC in 04, but what would be the point? Why sign a driver for a season only, unless it's a rookie, who isn't going to do a better job anyway.

Ron knows that DC is a team player, will toe the compnay line, play #2 to Kimi when the time comes, and it will come again in 2004 . All Ron has to do is dangle the carrot in front of DC and tell him that JPM's team mate for 05 hasn't been decided and if Kimi goes, DC will proberbly retain his spot.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 22:43 (Ref:812598)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's about bloody time he was booted from McLaren. He's occupied a seat for too long that he doesn't deserve.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 05:38 (Ref:812768)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he's so good, where are the results? He's had infinite chances in one of the best teams. He is the luckiest driver in modern F1 history to continually have this ride. Everyone else has had to have atleast a blip of success. DC has put in like 6 drives where he was worthy of his car.

As for Frank, he's critisized both current drivers a number of times. I do not believe Ralf's poor qualifying last year were a result of him not trying. It's not like a driver will go 1.5s a lap slower because they don't care. (that's an absolutely massive difference)

------------------------------------------------------
Comment edited

ST

Last edited by Super Tourer; 16 Dec 2003 at 10:50.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 05:48 (Ref:812773)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron has kept him on because he can run a "legitimate" number one/two team that way,lol.Allways safe in the knowlege that DC will be crucified by his team mate and so have to support him at the end of the year.
And there is nothing dc can do about it 'cause he will NEVER be fast enough.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 06:45 (Ref:812795)   #14
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Used to quite like DC but it's the same old, same old. He's prolly going to get hosed next year despite his experience, precision and smoothness, more's the pity.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 16 Dec 2003, 10:36 (Ref:812949)   #15
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah he seams to have become staid. I think he's a good driver, but not GOOD ENOUGH to win anything like a WC. I also agree that no decent driver would have signed on a 1-year contract, unless McLaren fancied signing another young charger. Sounds like a risky strategy.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 10:48 (Ref:812955)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently his only chance to stay at Macs for 2005 is that Ferrari grab Kimi...
Old 16 Dec 2003, 10:49 (Ref:812956)   #17
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
.. c'et-Ã*-dire a very unlikely chance!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:54 (Ref:812992)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Apparently his only chance to stay at Macs for 2005 is that Ferrari grab Kimi...
Can't see that happen.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:56 (Ref:813427)   #19
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC had hi chances and didn t took it sorry but he should give his place to someone else.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:03 (Ref:813434)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
He's not going to give his place up willingly, no driver would, thats like saying "I'm not good enough, here, you have a go"
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:46 (Ref:813481)   #21
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can't help but feel a 'I plan to spend more time with my family' coming on!

It would be funny if he won the WDC though. I mean it could be his year.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:00 (Ref:813502)   #22
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he's gotten backed into a corner like his friend JV. He really does have to get a WDC now, he's driving for his livelihood. I hope he gets it.

Last edited by Mattracer; 16 Dec 2003 at 22:02.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:21 (Ref:813525)   #23
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'd genuinely love it if he did but then I am also hoping for a Lotus Elise for Christmas with the same level of expectancy.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 23:31 (Ref:813603)   #24
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I doubt it's a realistic possibility.