Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 21 May 2004, 20:06 (Ref:978078)   #101
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I mentioned this on other threads, but guys in their garage told me yesterday that they WILL run....

but their $$$ are tight, so they don't want to spend a bundle on tires, etc. in practice when they already have the data they need from previous Indy tests (the IRL test plus their own) to get a set-up and get the car into the field...

Guess we'll find out for sure when we get through today, tomorrow, and Sunday...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 May 2004, 20:31 (Ref:978095)   #102
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The narrator on the live practice feed just mentioned that Jacques Lazier is doing laps in the #14T.

But perhaps that was old news and I just missed it earlier

Last edited by rustyfan; 21 May 2004 at 20:31.
Old 21 May 2004, 20:36 (Ref:978101)   #103
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No....

That is new....Jacques hasn't taken a seat in anything so far this month....

Wonder if there is a deal in the works, or if AJ Sr. is so hacked at AJ IV that he has jacques "shaking down" the car for his team to maybe learn something for set-ups....

This wouldn't be the first time that teams have done things like this...when their drivers couldn't seem to get a handle on the car in the conditions...

But even if he IS doing this task (and that is highly specualtive on my part, mind you), AJ is the kind of guy who would give him a shot in a back-up car for helping them out....he's done that before, too...

Jacques may just be the 33rd guy to land a ride...if Ray is going to make it onto the track, that is...

Old 21 May 2004, 20:38 (Ref:978103)   #104
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, I did say I heard Eddie Cheever talking about Jaques being on his short list of drivers. Maybe its Cheever?

Danica Patrick
Old 22 May 2004, 01:23 (Ref:978257)   #105
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I curius as to why Cheever would add an extra car at this late stage.

The likes of the extra Penske car, second Robby Gordon car have always been on the cards, and they are being crewed by other teams, and AJ Foyt has run 3 cars the last few years, even when they weren't searching for numbers.

Will Panther end up running a third car?Has John Andretti missed out for the second year in a row after being confident of a ride two years in a row?
Old 22 May 2004, 03:24 (Ref:978323)   #106
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jacques lazier was seen hanging out with AJ's team today during practice and AJ4 drove both cars, he drove the unqualified 14T quite fast too at 215's, possibly signifying that it was in a qualifying setup.

just noticed that on the other thread that he actually got out on the track at the end of the day. Just like AJ to not tell people what's up though.

Last edited by drdisque; 22 May 2004 at 03:32.
Old 22 May 2004, 10:13 (Ref:978588)   #107
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe AJ4 is getting the 14T ready for qualifying in case Larry gets bumped? Ideally it will be Jacques qualifying and racing the car, but you can never tell with AJ.
Old 22 May 2004, 21:46 (Ref:979114)   #108
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to www.indyracing.com/indycar Jeff Simmons will try to qualify Mo Nunn's #21 car!
Old 22 May 2004, 21:52 (Ref:979120)   #109
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racefanatic
According to www.indyracing.com/indycar Jeff Simmons will try to qualify Mo Nunn's #21 car!
Great news! So taking the rookie orientation wasn't for nothing after all...
Old 23 May 2004, 00:10 (Ref:979198)   #110
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
THis is what was reported on local evening newscasts here in Indy about an hour ago.....

There are 7 drivers if Greg ray can get enough funds to do it...

they are:

1. Marty Roth
2. Richie Hearn - the Sam Schmidt deal in the Penske
3. PJ Jones -- the Beck Deal
4. Buddy Lazier -- the Hemelgarn & D&R deal
5. Robbie McGehee -- The PDM deal in Robby Gordon's car
6. Jeff Simmons -- In a ride Mo Nunn will provide
7. Greg Ray -- if he has the $$$$...sounds like a BIG IF, but the team was telling me they would make a run when I asked on Thursday...

If Ray cannot go, Jacques would be available and ready for AJ's 14T

So we'll have 33......

The only question is that if Ray can't go, will Honda provide those engines for another slot....

Old 23 May 2004, 07:45 (Ref:979428)   #111
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
looks like we are all set then , congrats to Jeff simmonds on landing a ride he is very quick in the Infinity Pro series , lets hope he does well in the 500.

and I do hope ray comes out and has a go.
Old 24 May 2004, 09:58 (Ref:980973)   #112
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He did, and was predictably fastest of the Bump Day qualifiers - meaning that had he ran last Saturday he'd've probably started midfield. Still, we've got 33.
Old 24 May 2004, 14:03 (Ref:981349)   #113
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
He did, and was predictably fastest of the Bump Day qualifiers - meaning that had he ran last Saturday he'd've probably started midfield. Still, we've got 33.

Think about this for a minute.....Greg ray turned those laps with a "safe" set-up to make sure he got in....with the funds to spend some track time and to run the 1st weekend, with the car in qualifying trim, he could have made the first three rows....

Felt kinda bad for McGehee yesterday for two reasons....

1. The whole Tony Stewart-AJ Foyt ploy had him sweating bullets for three hours, and

2. Because rain was eminent in the early afternoon, they took the car out with a less than comfortable set-up and took a time that he felt was probably 2-3 mph slower than he could have run with just a little more time to get it set up....