Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1402907)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Engine change for Fisichella

Giancarlo will be docked ten places on the grid because he needs an engine change
Old 9 Sep 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1402914)   #2
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great.

was probably his best chance of the year to beat Golden Boy too.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1402921)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya and McLaren got lucky - they changed his engine before he went out for a lap, and managed to convince the officials that this doesn't constitute a change (he was due a new engine anyway). Seems a pretty fine distinction if you ask me, since the expense is the same whether you bin an engine in the garage or on the track - it would be more logical on that basis to say that the engine starts being used once you fit it and start it, since it is presumably bench tested before they ship it to the circuit.

Given the ongoing WCC battle with Renault and McLaren that'll create just a smidge of extra tension.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1402928)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glen - Williams used the "Montoya" loophole earlier in the year - was it Barcelona? I think Webber did no running on the Friday, to avoid a penalty, because the different spec engine wasn't ready by the start of practice?
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1402930)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It sure will. There isn't anything to get worked up about, but it was a lucky call for McLaren. I wonder if it was noticed due to them having a little extra time this morning (That would be really lucky and I don't really know the timing).

That smidge of tension is quite exciting.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1402936)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slight difference insomuchas the Williams example saw them not starting the engine at all - presumably McLaren must have attempted to use it in order to know that it needed replacement, as opposed to Williams who knew that they wanted a different engine in there, if they could get it in time.

My comments were more linked to the close proximity of the two teams in the Constructors' than to the fact that it was McLaren benefitting.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1402953)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When will Alonso have a failure of any kind? Presumably Giancarlo wore out the engine and its his fault? I guess Renault are putting more time into Fernando's car.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1402955)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Arghhh! Another car failure for Giancarlo? I can't believe his luck! The driver's championship is pretty much sewn up, so I can't see any reason for Renault to do anything but pay the upmost attention to Giancarlo's car.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 9 Sep 2005 at 15:22. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 9 Sep 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1403005)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed. Renault would be mighty foolish at this stage if they are neglecting Fisi's car.

Can't see it myself.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1403154)   #10
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no reason to assume Renault are neglecting Fisi's car. Assuming this, we'd also have to assume that McLaren are neglecting Raikkonen's car. Which is not very likely
Old 9 Sep 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1403193)   #11
Datsun
Rookie

United States
Rhode Island
Datsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No mention of how retarded the "change-engine-lose-10-spots" rule is?

Consider it mentioned now
Old 9 Sep 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1403199)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is silly, but those are the rules they play to these days. Some have handled it better than others.

It's a shame we're probably stuck with this rule for a while now.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1403212)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you're going to have a 10-place penalty anywhere, Spa in the wet is ideal. In fairness, he fluked a pole due to the rain in Melbourne, so this is soemthign of a luck reversal on that one.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1403275)   #14
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OTOH being given a 10 place penalty puts Fisichella right in the middle of the pack - Somewhere you don't want to be on the run up to La Source - especially in the wet!
Old 10 Sep 2005, 03:54 (Ref:1403432)   #15
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/inde...09191720.shtml

"Drivers' title is what matters, says Briatore"

Translated - Fisi-who?
Old 10 Sep 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1403554)   #16
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/inde...09191720.shtml

"Drivers' title is what matters, says Briatore"

Translated - Fisi-who?
Hmm, I reckon it might matter to Renault; it's one thing to have the world champion driver, but not to be world champion constructor. I can distinctly recall that Ferrari have been world champion more than once recently, as Bridgestone used to advertise quite heavily in Melbourne that they had helped Ferrari win 5 constructors championships in a row.