Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2001, 13:56 (Ref:71911)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the beggining of the season it was said by many sources that "this is the big one for DC", a make-or-break season. If he doesn't win the WDC this year he never will. Granted, in Oz from a poor 6th he finished on the podium, but can he do it this weekend from EIGHTH!!! The McLaren, as I have posted elsewhere, just isn't with the Ferrari on pace or strategy, so how can DC (still without doubt in Mika's shadow) have a HOPE this season of a good result at the end of the year??

What if he finishes, say, 7th this year?? Will he stay at McLaren?? What will happen to his motivation?? Will he end up like Herbert's career (no disrespect to Jonny intended!!), in mid-grid team, slowly getting older without a realistic chance of winning anything much??
Old 17 Mar 2001, 14:20 (Ref:71920)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I will go on record now as saying DC will NEVER be WDC. How many great cars does he need to drive & be outclassed in before everyone realizes he is second rate.

On occasion, he has shown some brilliance, but it is so rare and inconsistant, he will never get to the top.

The only reason the press even listen to him is because of his nationality. If another British driver shows his worth, Coultard will be forgotten in a millisecond.

Goodbye DC, time to let a talented driver take the Mac drive.
Old 17 Mar 2001, 14:24 (Ref:71923)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

(i actually agree, Wrex, but I thought I'd but up a nice, open post to begin the topic, but shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!)
Old 17 Mar 2001, 15:49 (Ref:71935)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I won't deny that I am disappointed. McLaren clearly are in trouble this season, but I won't count them out yet.

With regard to DC being a McLaren driver, if Ron thought he didn't deserve the seat, he would have been gone long ago.

I think your analogy to Herbert is a little harsh, Tristan, but it may prove to not be so far from the truth in the end. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am not.
Old 17 Mar 2001, 16:34 (Ref:71941)   #5
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People, people, people, it's only the second race of the season.

I agree that McLaren are having a bit of a slow start, but there's plenty of time to catch up, even if they don't have Mercedes-contracted driver Zonta to punt TGF into the gravel this year.

I do agree with Wrex that DC will never win the WDC though. There's too many good younger drivers around now...
Old 17 Mar 2001, 19:19 (Ref:71984)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed, MichaelC.
DC had great chance in the past, by now is his last chance to win WDC.
Other way I guess he will be in Jaguar next years...
Old 17 Mar 2001, 20:14 (Ref:72004)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give them four races to get their act together, and then we'll see. As DC has said himself, they are suffering from not being able to send the car to the shop and test it as they need to, because of the "fly away" nature of the first races.

But on the other hand, perhaps it is time for another team to take over the top spot and challenge the Ferrari. Everything goes in cycles.

I hope DC has a very thick skin. The British motorsport magazines are not very forgiving when one of their own doesn't seem to play up ... He may wish he hadn't dismissed Heidi so quickly, before the season gets too much older.

Or maybe that's his problem.
Old 17 Mar 2001, 20:59 (Ref:72025)   #8
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Liz. McLaren are having some problems and need to get in some additional testing, and as Liz said by around the 4th or 5th race of the season we should be able to see what McLaren are really capable of this year. As far as Coultard is concerned this IS his last chance. I personally feel that McLaren will soon be on their way down the grid after this year, as BMW and Honda take their place. So if the McLarens do seem to be competative with the Ferrari's, once they get enough testing in, then this is Coultard's last opportunity to do something that he has always failed to do, which is beat Hakkinen consistenly as well as challenge Shumacher for race wins. Frankly I don't think he'll do it and he will never be F1 champ...too bad because he's a good guy and I've always liked him as a driver.
Old 17 Mar 2001, 21:11 (Ref:72030)   #9
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a McLaren Fan but I think the season is far from over for them. As far as DC goes - he is a good 2nd driver and that is all he can hope ever to achieve. I think Ron Dennis knows this, which is why he has been Mikas back-up all this time. DC does a good job for Mika - as No.1 driver you need someone to "keep you on your toes" but will never steal your thunder & that is DC in a nutshell !!
Old 17 Mar 2001, 21:11 (Ref:72031)   #10
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a McLaren Fan but I think the season is far from over for them. As far as DC goes - he is a good 2nd driver and that is all he can hope ever to achieve. I think Ron Dennis knows this, which is why he has been Mikas back-up all this time. DC does a good job for Mika - as No.1 driver you need someone to "keep you on your toes" but will never steal your thunder & that is DC in a nutshell !!
Old 17 Mar 2001, 22:33 (Ref:72051)   #11
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC

Being the eternal optimist that I am. I've always credited DC as being a world championship contender at the start of each season, and that if he really put his mind to it, then maybe, just maybe he could(at the very least) be a threat to Mika and TGF and still be in contention for the WC come the final race of the season.

After all, last year he was very strong during the first half of the season, winning a few races and performing that brilliant overtaking Manouvre on TGF in France. After the french race I honestly believed that we were looking at a new and improved DC and my confidence in him was boosted greatly. Unfortunatly the "new and improved" DC which I thought would be here to stay, didn't last very long, as Hakkinen suddenly came back to his regular form during the following race in Austria, for the remainder of the season, it was the DC of old that we were witnessing. Constantly bieng 3rd best behind Mika and TGF, and never mounting any real chanllenge.

So far this year(and it's only the secound race) the Mclarens really are not looking good at all, and they look like they may be on the way down. So I would really have to say that, unfortuntly, if things continue this way then DC will not ever have much hope of bieng a WC. It's such a shame because I've always admired DC and always rooted for him over Mika and TGF every race. I would have loved to have seen him have more success, but at the end of the day, the car (no matter how good or how fast) will only do so much and it's still the driver that has to drive it.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 17 Mar 2001 at 22:39.
Old 18 Mar 2001, 00:07 (Ref:72071)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Let's have a look at who DC has to beat to be WDC: TGF, Rubens, Mika, Ralf, JPM, Agent 0057, Trulli, Olivier, Jacques... All these guys have good factory cars now, and anyone of them can beat DC. I cannot go along with the excuse that the McLaren needs testing urgently. They had the best test driver last year and tested zillions of miles, and if that did not sort the car out, nothing will this year. I do agree that DC is a good second string driver, and Ron has a good thing in keeping DC, especially if DC cannot threaten Mika in a race. DC will pick up points in many races.
I think anyone who thinks that DC will be WDC one day is dreaming, or has been talking too much to Mr Wolf Blass.
Old 18 Mar 2001, 00:32 (Ref:72083)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
let's get metaphysical (David Gilmour's inspiration)

Looking at the World Champion's profile, none of them had such good equipment and failed to win the WDC...
(Same goes to RB, just an alert.)

Sorry DC, you're not one of the blessed (I think AM already said that !) !!!!!!!!
Old 18 Mar 2001, 01:57 (Ref:72149)   #14
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think it's been "IT" for about five years. Those expecting the next great Scott will have to wait. Wearing the scottish colors on the helmet wont make him one hundreth of a second closer to the WC.

Where have you all gone after Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart?. Cart-land?
Old 18 Mar 2001, 02:06 (Ref:72150)   #15
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well DC will never win the title. He's just not good enough. Simple as that. That said, his performance in the opening two qualifying sessions suggest that the car itself may also be of the pace but I'm sure Mika Hakkinen will be able to get things together and challenge Michael for the title. As far as DC goes, I think this is his last year with Mclaren although Ron Dennis may want to retain him for another year before they make an effort to sign Ralf Schumacher for 2003. However, BMW is unlikely to let Ralf go so DC may feel he has a chance to stick around with Woking. But I seriously doubt that. Coulthard has always had the best car on the track throughout his career, with the exception of 96 or 97 perhaps. He`s never looked like seriously threatning to win the title. And when he fails, he starts blaming everyone else without admitting his own failures. He doesent have the ability of Michael Schumacher, or a Mika Hakkinen or for that matter a Ralf Schumacher or Jacques Villunerve. Coulthard will probably end up with Jordan, pick up a couple of lucky wins and then fade away.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 00:42 (Ref:73187)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Ah yes, but that's the thing! I can't really see where he has to go.

Jaguar's lineup involves some plot to do with Franchitti or PDLR or something..... anyway, they've got more than enough drivers lined up as a replacement to whoever goes, so no lookin for DC there.

Jordan seem pretty settled on their lineup and would be foolish to change it unless TGF or some other talented scallywag (Alonso) gets in.

Erm.... Williams??? Who??!!
Old 21 Mar 2001, 05:30 (Ref:73227)   #17
slipstream
Rookie

slipstream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that DC's future is tied more to Hakki's performance than his own. Ron has been smart in ensuring that his winning combination of designer and drivers has remained stable through their period of success. He hasn't been tempted to mess with a good combination that bought them up to equal dominance with Ferrari.

If Mika fails this year to be competitive, with the assumption that DC will remain an effective number 2 driver, Ron will pull out all stops to recreate a winning formula. That will include dumping DC.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 08:55 (Ref:73252)   #18
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I agree that DC isn't really World Champ material, and his qualifying has been poor so far this year, I thought his race performances have actually been very good, especially considering the less than stunning McLaren he's driving. Still, he's never going to be better than good journeyman standard.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 19:17 (Ref:73348)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will continue to flog the horse...(Moffat, please feel free to jump in)

I absolutely believe that DC has a shot at the WDC. He is not blessed with Hakkinen's raw speed or Schumacher's brilliant car control and race craft, but he is developing into a very good driver and he gets better every season. No one who is is a total wazoo wins nine Grand Prix.

Last season, for the first half at least, he was the only challenge to Schumacher-this while stripped of 6 points in Brazil for a technical infraction which resulted in no benefit and in Canada, forced to a ten-second penalty for stalling on the grid. Yes it was his mistake, but when he was called in, he was running with TGF and given the rate at which MS slowed in the last laps of the race, may have missed out on a win but for that stall.

The guy has had appalling luck and McLaren's efforts have truely been behind Mika despite the fact that it was David who won the first two races for West McLaren-not Mika, and at that time, McLaren was hardly the best car on the grid.

I suspect that DC was rushed into a race seat at Williams in the wake of Senna's death before he was ready. But like his one-time teammate Damon Hill who was a very good, though not exceptional driver-ibn the right circumstances, DC could take the crown.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 20:30 (Ref:73372)   #20
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll meander into this one.

It is a bit tired isn't it, this old chestnut. Is DC good enough. Naturally. He is second after two races. He has consistently in these two races improved his grid position more spectacularly than anyother driver on the podium.

I don't know if he will be WDC. But I believe he has a better chance than most.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 20:55 (Ref:73386)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I'm with you on this.

DC is not that bad. And he's in second now after two races.

BUT I believe that's the last chance for him. If he wants to stay in McLaren, he must overcome Hakkinen and through Ron Dennis' masterplan be WDC.
Remember what old Ron said : "This is DC's year".
It sounds like "This is DC's last chance" don't you think ?
The kind of support that carries "that" pressure...
Old 22 Mar 2001, 00:26 (Ref:73461)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Ah yes, but that's my point! I don't want this to become a DC-bashing topic as much as you all do, whether I think he's over-rated or not.

The question his: WHERE DOES HIS FUTURE LIE?? AT MCLAREN?? OR SOMEWHERE ELSE?? WHO??

Beats me!
Old 22 Mar 2001, 00:38 (Ref:73469)   #23
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
The question his: WHERE DOES HIS FUTURE LIE?? AT MCLAREN?? OR SOMEWHERE ELSE?? WHO??
DC may end up at Jaguar partnering Eddie Irvine next season which should be interesting for sure

He may also end up at Renault - in fact that may turn out to be a stronger case for Coulthard, because Renault would want an experienced driver in the team. And Coulthard is likely to be the only one available, or willing to go to Renault.
Old 25 Mar 2001, 02:59 (Ref:74294)   #24
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bad DC once again blew it with a competitive team. When he was with Williams he showed a lot of promise combined with some schoolboy errors that even the Minardi boys couldnt match. At Mercedes he was good enough to shine here and there but his inconsistency combined with his whining has really let him down. If he moves to another team he should go to Jordan. He may just thrive in that environment and we may get to see the best of DC.