Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Jun 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1642819)   #301
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've now read two Indy Star articles with quotes from KK since Saturday and I believe he was in Montreal on Friday, and had a race in Cleveland over the weekend as well. Now, come Tuesday, TG, who also had a race over the weekend, rings in with media to disregard alot of what I just previously read. In my opinion, it is really looking to me like both are going out of their way to manipulate the media. If not, and the media is preventing progress of the merger, why aren't they floating around some cease and desist Orders to stop it?
I think this whole issue going on as it has, for as long as it has, is now dangerously close to forever turning off casual fans who took time to look at and follow one or both series and patiently hope for a better future in a merged series. Further, I think it has has festered far too much hostility and hate within the hardcore fans' circles.
In all reality, the sun's going to rise again with or without both or either one of these series, and for the public who like speed, well, they'll find something to watch and follow to keep occupied.
When my girls get jangling at each other to the point of my about to go ping, I make them sit on the sofa until they can look at each other and say they're happy to be sisters and find a way through the issue. Do you think that'd work for TG and KK?
For the love of Pete - merge or don't merge - do it or drop it - get on with it or get over it. There Comes a Time, as Neil Young says.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1642993)   #302
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it's all been a bit tiring.

I think the hold up is trying to find a way for mr. george to exit with "honor".

Much of what is being discussed I am certain is being held from the public. But if negotiations break down and it becomes readily apparent that a certain person is obstructing the peace process, that might be the breaking point. I think a lot of fans, honda, Ford, sponsors, promoters, drivers, teams, mechanics, everyone is just about sick of it. In years past I don't believe the urgency was there to do anything because plenty of people were sucking on the teat of engine dollars and big paying sponsors. That's all gone now.

As they say, people vote with their feet and if a good deal doesn't happen this time, I think you'll see a mass defection over to champcar. Champcar at least has a cost effective, fan friendly future, the irl has a condensed schedule, an old expensive car and all the big dollars are gone.

Watch people actions, not necessarily what they say. Honda's Clarke and Rahal have been spending more time in the champcar paddock than the other series. Now why would they do that? Also, I heard somewhere Hemelgarn went out and bought 2 silver crown cars and put their other junk up for sale. That's not a ringing endorsement of the irl for sure.

The 'vision' is over and in fact it never really existed in any substance. Once certain people realize all the 'vision' was just a clumsy power, money and control grab and that the split didn't serve anyones interest at all, the sooner those people will push for a solution.

Where's gene simmons when you need him?
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1643040)   #303
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Lots of temptation here to react rather than reason but I will say this: the primary movers and shakers have asked the media to go away numerous times. This continues to be a story, the main characters continue to speak to the media, therefore the media does not go away.

Realizing that the IRL is using the dreary "old" cars and that CC is finally moving to a new chassis after what seems like eons I am not sure that this is a relevant argument for a migration to CC. If potential chassis/engine rule changes in a merged entity cause IRL Teams and CC temas to be concerned about equipment costs - where is the enticement to leave the IRL and incur equipment cost to join CC?

I still wonder that if the entire split can be explained as a misguided hubristic failure, and the various owners, etc are the bright folks one would think they are, and they are in regular contact with the main players (so they should know the faults/strengths), why then have they not realized the very simple explanation posited regularly on fora everywhere?

IF there is a merger, and I am not real sure one will occur, we really will never know who did what behind the scenes. At this point, I am not sure I care so long as at the end of the day there is still open wheel racing. Now if that means I watch a crapload of Silver Crown cars racing then to be honest, I would rather do that than watch a handful of cars spreadout over an airport.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1643199)   #304
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, differently from many posters here, I know things are going ahead somehow.
Cannot be more detailed but right this friday a significant meeting will be held...
Old 28 Jun 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1643244)   #305
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, Silver Crown is my fallback position, actually!

I really do hope for an end to this pointless internecine conflict. It is just that with so many ups and downs regarding this over the years I am going to remain (to paraphrase Ben Franklin): "...somewhat pessimistic, that way I can be pleasantly surprised when things turn out well!"

Perhaps if this meeting happens it will bring us closer to a good result.

Thanks Climb!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1643340)   #306
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't refer to Silver Crown, but to a place which is several thousands miles far from it...
Old 29 Jun 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1644202)   #307
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the erroneous Star story sure got a lot of play. Even Kalkhoven says, "the story is accurate. the headline is not." And who did Cavin get the information from that Barnhart had proposed doubleheaders? Not Barnhart. There are no direct quotes from him. Apparently Kalkhoven is speaking for him now, too.

http://www.cleveland.com/autoracing/...510.xml&coll=2
Old 29 Jun 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1644211)   #308
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the Record:

Reporters "Do Not" write the headlines for their stories...that is done by a copy desk/layout editor...

Steve Ballard also apparently helped Curt with this story...IIRC, it carried both of their by-lines...

Curt is a good and fair reporter...don't throw him under the bus on this...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1644245)   #309
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, Tim, and Ballard is a fair reporter, too. So where did they get this poopoo? From Kalkhoven's reaction to the Plain Dealer, I'd guess this started in Cleveland.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1644279)   #310
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't blame the media for reporting. I believe the media are being manipulated.
Good grief - I feel manipulated for taking the time to read and follow the sport by wasting my time reading articles of one series owner's quotes only to have the other series owner's quotes denounce that which I took the time to read. I may have just as well spent my time reading "Who's on First" is about how it feels.
Honestly, it feels like whatever they say for the media to print is for their own specific purpose in this little civil war peeing contest anymore and you can't believe it anyway anymore.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 02:47 (Ref:1644573)   #311
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
For the Record:

Reporters "Do Not" write the headlines for their stories...that is done by a copy desk/layout editor...

Steve Ballard also apparently helped Curt with this story...IIRC, it carried both of their by-lines...

Curt is a good and fair reporter...don't throw him under the bus on this...
mr. george basically called these guys liars by saying the whole thing was fabricated by those who wrote the story. I doubt they would have run with this unless someone was talking.

I don't think the media is being manipulated, I think it's more the other way around. Everyone wants the latest goss.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1644910)   #312
indycool
Veteran

Read the WISH-TV story. George "called them liars" solely regarding the Barnhart "doubleheader" comments without quotes from Barnhart.