Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Jan 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2381756)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
experienced marshals, becoming a better marshal

just another odd thought from myself,if its another daft post i apologise in advance. on this forum we do get a lot of newer marshals asking questions about being a marshal and how to deal with certain situations that may arise. i was wondering........despite experienced marshals are always a pleasure to work alongside and you always have trust in the guy or girl next to on the bank, as with any job you can always learn and improve.

i was thinking with the vast knowledge we have access to on this forum, what help and advice could anyone chip in with to help experienced marshals in the forthcoming season?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2381914)   #2
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Each year is different (as is each day on the bank), keep learning, draw on the fresh enthusiasm of the new marshals and listen to those even older than yourself! Try to pass on a few jewels of wisdom each day and try not to pass on any of the cynicism that we have all built up to a certain extent over the years!

Motor sport is changing every year and everyone, me included, thinks things were better in the 'old days' so we must approach each year as if it is a blank canvas. Even after almost 20 years doing this I still wake up on the morning of a meeting looking forward to the day ahead. Looking forward to meeting up with friends old and new, anticipating good racing and expecting the unexpected to happen.

I am not sure if Gravel Monkey was expecting something more specific but I believe that approaching the day with the right attitude (especially as Post Chief) can help the whole crew have a far more enjoyable and interesting day.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2381942)   #3
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert
Each year is different (as is each day on the bank), keep learning, draw on the fresh enthusiasm of the new marshals and listen to those even older than yourself! Try to pass on a few jewels of wisdom each day and try not to pass on any of the cynicism that we have all built up to a certain extent over the years!

Motor sport is changing every year and everyone, me included, thinks things were better in the 'old days' so we must approach each year as if it is a blank canvas. Even after almost 20 years doing this I still wake up on the morning of a meeting looking forward to the day ahead. Looking forward to meeting up with friends old and new, anticipating good racing and expecting the unexpected to happen.

I am not sure if Gravel Monkey was expecting something more specific but I believe that approaching the day with the right attitude (especially as Post Chief) can help the whole crew have a far more enjoyable and interesting day.

Well said!
Old 29 Jan 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2381971)   #4
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A positive attitude and a willingness to learn from mistakes and not to take all critisism personally is about all I can give. As we have found an ability to laugh at oneself is a great asset but to accept responsibility for your choices and actions will ultimately enhance your personal growth.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2382094)   #5
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And remember if you do anything stupid (like falling over the armco) the Pee taking will last longer than any pain or suffering on the day!!
But on a positive note it helps take your mind off of the pain when you get back on post, Thanks Guys.

And NOT again this year guys, Sorry.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2382156)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not exactly clear what Andy is asking in his opening post but Norbert has given a very good reply.
As an Examining Observer, I try to approach each and every race day with a totally open mind.
It's irrelevent if "Yesterday" or "Last Weekend" was a pretty poor event or if performances were not up to scratch..........the day ahead is what matters!
You can't go into a new meeting having any gripes about things that happened for example, at the same meeting - run by the same club - 12 months ago!
As Observer, I make descisions on post that can affect the running of a meeting (Most clerks still listen to observers) and if I get it wrong then I have to accept it.....learn from it and get on with it!
The same has to apply for all duties in Marshalling.
Our newer Marshals approach an event with an air of naiveity but very often come up with simple ideas or solutions to things that those a bit longer in the tooth can't obviously see.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2382193)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And remember:
Attached Images

Old 29 Jan 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2382285)   #8
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
And remember:
Alas, I "don't have permission" to view that image :\
Old 30 Jan 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2382396)   #9
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
I'm not exactly clear what Andy is asking in his opening post but Norbert has given a very good reply.
As an Examining Observer, I try to approach each and every race day with a totally open mind.
It's irrelevent if "Yesterday" or "Last Weekend" was a pretty poor event or if performances were not up to scratch..........the day ahead is what matters!
You can't go into a new meeting having any gripes about things that happened for example, at the same meeting - run by the same club - 12 months ago!
As Observer, I make descisions on post that can affect the running of a meeting (Most clerks still listen to observers) and if I get it wrong then I have to accept it.....learn from it and get on with it!
The same has to apply for all duties in Marshalling.
Our newer Marshals approach an event with an air of naiveity but very often come up with simple ideas or solutions to things that those a bit longer in the tooth can't obviously see.
sorry mark, coulda made it clearer. what i meant was when ever your on post from time to time no matter how many events you have done you see or hear something from another marshal and you realise the benefits and start doing or thinking that yourself.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2382686)   #10
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An old manager of mine had this saying whenever we looked at the operation as a whole or doing a self apraisal.

"When in search of excellence, return to basics"

Basically not matter how good the thing is at the top, take a look at the bottom & you will find things to improve, thus improving the whole thing.

Col
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2382700)   #11
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Rugby
An old manager of mine had this saying whenever we looked at the operation as a whole or doing a self apraisal.

"When in search of excellence, return to basics"

Basically not matter how good the thing is at the top, take a look at the bottom & you will find things to improve, thus improving the whole thing.

Col
This brings to mind a nugget told me by my last Warrant Officer some 13-14 years ago and has always stuck with me.

"Just because its always been done that way doesn't mean thats the way its always got to be done."

Keep looking for improvements and not to stagnate.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2382823)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
And remember:
Jim,

Can't do anything with the image - but a lady at work has this printed out and displayed on her desk, and we all think it is brilliant.

Any chance of making it available???

Kiss, Kiss,

Shelagh
Old 30 Jan 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2382862)   #13
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey
sorry mark, coulda made it clearer. what i meant was when ever your on post from time to time no matter how many events you have done you see or hear something from another marshal and you realise the benefits and start doing or thinking that yourself.
Yep! A few years back I was Chief Pits at Donington for a race with pit stops. All pit stops had to be logged to the second. One of my trainees was writing her logs by putting the seconds first, then the minutes, and lastly the hour. She explained that she did it that way because seconds went quicker than everything else! In all my years marshalling I'd always written my logs the other way round. Watching her and hearing her explaination made a lot more sense to me and consequently I changed the way I wrote logs from that day on!

The thing to remember is you never stop learning, no matter how long you've been doing the job.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2383359)   #14
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Count myself as 1/2 way between the newby and the experienced marshal

but as far as I look at every event (and every day work as well) i beleive that we can all learn from each other no matter how (in)experienced the other person is

There are usually many ways of doing things that get the same result in the end and some-one elses way may be better than yours
Old 1 Feb 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2383753)   #15
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say always be open minded and don't be afraid of trying something new, you may enjoy it.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 01:24 (Ref:2383934)   #16
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ
I would say always be open minded and don't be afraid of trying something new, you may enjoy it.
I couldn't agree more. I did enjoy pepperoni on my pizza. I didn't enjoy sodomy.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I think that in a job like ours you cannot get complacent.

Once you lose the ability to learn, that is when something can get you. Everybody can learn something this year. What would be interesting is if we could post in December what we have learnt this year, marshalling wise.

So heads up, ears and eyes open and a safe 2009 to you all.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2389178)   #17
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fitness! I think experienced marshalls could also concentrate on improving their general health and fitness whilst on duty. So many marshalls stand around all day eating pork pies (!!!). Maybe you should all go for a quick jog around the track at the start and end of the day (I've run round silverstone a few times its really not that far!)- it would be great for your health and also you'd be able to jump out of the way quickier when the aforementioned pork pie attracts a renegade f.renault to your post at 100+mph!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2389253)   #18
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport
Fitness! I think experienced marshalls could also concentrate on improving their general health and fitness whilst on duty. So many marshalls stand around all day eating pork pies (!!!). Maybe you should all go for a quick jog around the track at the start and end of the day (I've run round silverstone a few times its really not that far!)- it would be great for your health and also you'd be able to jump out of the way quickier when the aforementioned pork pie attracts a renegade f.renault to your post at 100+mph!
Trust me, at 21stone I can move pretty darn quick if I need to! I tend to suffer two days later but I put that down to age. A healthy fear of pain and death makes you move quick.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2389279)   #19
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=staid davenport]Fitness! I think experienced marshalls could also concentrate on improving their general health and fitness whilst on duty. So many marshalls stand around all day eating pork pies (!!!). Maybe you should all go for a quick jog around the track at the start and end of the day (I've run round silverstone a few times its really not that far!)- it would be great for your health and also you'd be able to jump out of the way quickier when the aforementioned pork pie attracts a renegade f.renault to your post at 100+mph![/QUOTi

i second the last comment off c9/89
you will be surprised how fast the more portly marshals can move when required even quicker when the post chief says who wants the last pie
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2389301)   #20
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport

I can just see it in a few years. Japanese starts to a marshalling day.

Seriously though, it's good to be "able", definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Once you lose the ability to learn, that is when something can get you. Everybody can learn something this year. What would be interesting is if we could post in December what we have learnt this year, marshalling wise.
And I couldn't agree more with Robin_D. We can learn all the time from each other.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2389310)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If we got all the marshals to do a run around the track before the start of the day:

a) signing on would have to be MUCH earlier - to fit it in before the full English
b) ALL the rescue units from everywhere would have to be present beforehand (presumably after THEIR full English) to cope with the results
c) NOT for me & I expect many others !!!!!

By the way - I can run if I really have to, but I have an old "sporting injury" around the right knee (gained when aged 16, believe it or not) - so: I can shift if I have to, but I'd rather not be in that postion. Oh, hang on, isn't that what we're all taught anyway ....... ???????

Last edited by Shelagh; 5 Feb 2009 at 20:23.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2389316)   #22
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i second the last comment off c9/89
you will be surprised how fast the more portly marshals can move when required even quicker when the post chief says who wants the last pie[/quote]

It's not the moving quickly thats the problem for some of our more rotund fellows but the stopping distance required...
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2389319)   #23
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Staid,

I suggested having a fitness course open for marshals. It wasn't met with a great response and in truth would probably drive people, and experienced one's at that, away.

I used to go for an 8 mile bike ride most mornings before I marshalled. Was just nice being up and out at time of the morning.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2389330)   #24
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
staid
one other comment about marshals fitness
try running in windy,rainy conditions insafety boots
over rough ground oh and also carrying a fire bottle
Old 5 Feb 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2389404)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having managed 10mph through the speed trap up a 1in10 hill, I'm confident of my sprinting abilities.

So, to the thread. Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it, there's always something you can learn. If you think you've learned it, you can forget it. The clever part is to watch for both, and act accordingly.