Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Jan 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2369965)   #1
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4th + 5th July 09.

Anyone looked at what needs to be marshalled weekend 3 +4 + 5 July ?
Goodwood - Festival of Speed..
Silverstone - World Series by Renault (GP circuit ?)
Brands Hatch - Historic Superprix (GP Circuit ?)
Snetterton - F3/GT.
Donington - Great & British.

IMHO this is a bit bonkers !
Old 12 Jan 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2369973)   #2
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick I agree, do the powers that be think there,s an unlimited number of marshals.
Apart from the rant i,m doing Brands that weekend.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2369989)   #3
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK ALLISON
Anyone looked at what needs to be marshalled weekend 3 +4 + 5 July ?
Goodwood - Festival of Speed..
Silverstone - World Series by Renault (GP circuit ?)
Brands Hatch - Historic Superprix (GP Circuit ?)
Snetterton - F3/GT.
Donington - Great & British.

IMHO this is a bit bonkers !
And that's before Oulton & Anglesea publish thier dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Jan 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2370027)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Looking at that list, I thought we were going to have a weekend off!

Fortunately there's the Morgan Sports Car Club meeting at Mallory on the Sunday...

That's not the only weekend with a similar problem. We were pondering what to on April 5th - 750MC at Mallory or HSCC at Donington, both meetings we really wanted to do. BRSCC to the rescue - they have a two-day meeting at Anglesey that weekend (although I can't confirm that date) so that's where we'll be. Just for good measure, that weekend there's a two-day BRSCC meeting at Rockingham & banger racing at Brands!
Old 12 Jan 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2370038)   #5
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So in a year where it is highly likely that a few/some/many/most (delete as applicable) marshals will be looking or have to reduce the number of meetings they attend, organisers are still not working together to ensure their events have enough marshals to run.

Could we see some events lose out on weekends such as these or will there be enough of us to go around?
Old 12 Jan 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2370086)   #6
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Looking at that list, I thought we were going to have a weekend off!

Fortunately there's the Morgan Sports Car Club meeting at Mallory on the Sunday...

That's not the only weekend with a similar problem. We were pondering what to on April 5th - 750MC at Mallory or HSCC at Donington, both meetings we really wanted to do. BRSCC to the rescue - they have a two-day meeting at Anglesey that weekend (although I can't confirm that date) so that's where we'll be. Just for good measure, that weekend there's a two-day BRSCC meeting at Rockingham & banger racing at Brands!
Thats the LMA Eurosaloons et al, Dave. I've got their wall planner. Thats 4 dates so far before I've seen the O/P and Anglesey dates.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2370091)   #7
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for the Chief Marshals and the Clerks on days like these. It's going to be tough to get enough folk to cover their event, and then they may well struggle to get the right mix of duties / experience and have to ask folk to be very flexible. Ultimately, if there are insufficient to cover the event safely, then this isn't the financial climate to tell a bunch of drivers that the event has been scrubbed on safety grounds.

What will make people choose a particular event? Will it be the racing, the travelling, the size of the breakfast / free lunch?
Old 12 Jan 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2370113)   #8
OU812
Rookie

England
Preston
OU812 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Thats the LMA Eurosaloons et al, Dave. I've got their wall planner. Thats 4 dates so far before I've seen the O/P and Anglesey dates.
Looking at the Club Level Single Seaters forum - Irish Formula Libre 2009 thread it looks like the annual Irish invasion of Anglesey is planned for the 4/5 July. Nothing at Oulton............maybe!!
Old 12 Jan 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2370114)   #9
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of those meetings are organised by BARC. Surely they must realise the shortage of marshals to cover these? Personally, I will be at Silverstone for the WSR, which I believe IS on the GP circuit.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2370129)   #10
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've put my name down for FoS, but if I don't get picked there's also MSA hillclimb champs at Harewood, again organised by BARC
Old 12 Jan 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2370161)   #11
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All those meetings and not one I'm really keen on doing, but I'll also probably be at Silverstone, unless I decide to just have the weekend off!

There's actually an article in Autosport this week that mentions this problem, it's primarily about club racers and them having to choose between meetings and cut down, but it gives a mention to us marshals too.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2370191)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I've got a pretty full picture of the Oulton & Anglesey dates, although a lot of it is still provisional & there's a couple of anomalies. Looks like three Oulton/Anglesey clashes.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2370195)   #13
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Most of those meetings are organised by BARC. Surely they must realise the shortage of marshals to cover these? Personally, I will be at Silverstone for the WSR, which I believe IS on the GP circuit.
It certainly was last year. It was great when the Clios were out - had time to have a cup of tea between each lap
Old 12 Jan 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2370226)   #14
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that the HSCC Historic Super Prix will remain on the Brands GP circuit this season.

Looking at the provisonal dates, there do seem to be a number of weekends where there are an exceedingly high number of events. Also of note, is the number of clashes between circuits in the same region - Mallory and Donington, for instance.

With regards to the 4th/5th July, I think I shall be at Donington on the basis that the meeting features Spanish F3 and International GT Open and it is nice to see different stuff from time to time.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2370234)   #15
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They all look like they would be well subscribed events under normal circumstances but to have so many on the same weekend seems a bit daft. Are there actually enough marshals in the country to cover all of them? I'll be at Silverstone-could be my last chance to see an F1 car on the GP circuit (if the Renault does some demo laps again) as I'm not experienced enough for the GP this year
Old 12 Jan 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2370236)   #16
marcius_kellius
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
marcius_kellius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leinster Motor Club will be at Anglesey on the 4/5 July with the Irish Championships. Contact Alistair Garrett in BRSCC if you want to volunteer for this one.

Mark
Leinster Motor Club
Old 12 Jan 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2370257)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And that week-end I'll be at Shelsley, so that's three places for hill-climb marshals (well, two plus Goodwood...)

I notice that A1GP and FIA are on the same week-end as each other in May. Crass.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2370282)   #18
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Put down for HSCC Superprix at Brands, one of my favourite meetings, but I'll miss the F3/GT's at Snetterton, which I've done for the last 3 years, sorry Terry.
The same has happened on September 19/20th; BTCC Rockingham, Goodwood Revival, F3/GT Brands Hatch and 750MC Donnington (I'm sure there's more). All good meetings, but it's got to be the Revival for me (hopefully) after it has clashed with the Silverstone 24hrs for the last few years
Old 12 Jan 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2370284)   #19
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood for me thanks.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2370437)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcius_kellius
Leinster Motor Club will be at Anglesey on the 4/5 July with the Irish Championships.
That's that weekend sorted, then!
Old 13 Jan 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2370536)   #21
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcius_kellius
Leinster Motor Club will be at Anglesey on the 4/5 July with the Irish Championships. Contact Alistair Garrett in BRSCC if you want to volunteer for this one.

Mark
Leinster Motor Club
Yessssssssss that means I wont miss this one this year, wasn't happy missing it last year
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2370657)   #22
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
That's that weekend sorted, then!
Me too! Thats 5 dates sorted! Still no sign of the rest of "our" dates but I do know why!
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2370659)   #23
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Me too! Thats 5 dates sorted! Still no sign of the rest of "our" dates but I do know why!
only 5? I've got provisional list of 35!
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2370681)   #24
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
And that week-end I'll be at Shelsley, so that's three places for hill-climb marshals (well, two plus Goodwood...)
But then i dont notice many marshals making the trip to Harewood for the MSA meetings, other than the Harewood regulars, and the few who do normally make up for the few marshals who do the FoS instead. (but for some reason Le Mans being on the same weekend as a harewood meeting often dwindles our numbers more)

the one that gets me is April 11th - 13th - Brit F3/GT (Oulton) British Hillcilmb (Loton Park) and Spring National at Harewood
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2370690)   #25
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard
only 5? I've got provisional list of 35!
I would if I allowed myself to, but I'm planning on a quieter year this year, need to spend a bit more time with my Wife and Daughter.